ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer x-live recording card  (Read 41406 times)

Jay Marr

Re: Behringer x-live recording card
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »

With this i will stop swerving this topic and trying to sell you on Reaper...  :)

One of the things i like most about Reaper is it's ability to completely customize the entire menu and control interface.  Reaper does about 500 things that i will NEVER do, so one of the first things i did was remove all those things from the Menus so i didn't have to sort through a bunch of stuff i'll never use.  I also rewrote the mouse control modifiers to ONLY do things i actual do and not anything else so i wouldn't have any unexpected behaviors just because i hit the wrong modifier key.

What this could mean for you application is that you could make a custom set of menus and interface for you and your band members to use to greatly simplify your workflow and make the transition to a new DAW a little less painful.

Okay, end of sales speech.  I swear i don't get anything in return.  i just really like the software.  :)

Thanks Brian.

I'll ask one final question.  What's the best training resource for Reaper?  Goggle/YouTube?
I've done some surfing on the Presonus forum to learn more about Studio One, but haven't crossed this bridge with Reaper yet.
I'm going to give it a serious test run this week though, so appreciate your suggestions.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »

Thanks Brian.

I'll ask one final question.  What's the best training resource for Reaper?  Goggle/YouTube?
I've done some surfing on the Presonus forum to learn more about Studio One, but haven't crossed this bridge with Reaper yet.
I'm going to give it a serious test run this week though, so appreciate your suggestions.

I first started using it about 8-10 years ago and at the time the only real resource was YouTube and patient googling.  There may be much better resources now, but i haven't had to look in a while.  I've found that once i got my head around "Reaper Thinking" i was able to figure out just about anything new that i wanted to do by just poking at things.

The whole concept of 'rendering' output tracks was something it took me a good while to get my head around.  I was so mentally ingrained in a real time, linear workflow that understanding a different approach took some time.  But Old Dogs CAN learn new tricks.  Just takes us longer.

Seriously, i'd haunt YouTube and the Googles.  I think you'll be able to find what you need.  If you have any specific place you get stuck, feel free to PM me and i'll be happy to help if i can....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jay Marr

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2018, 09:52:14 PM »

I first started using it about 8-10 years ago and at the time the only real resource was YouTube and patient googling.  There may be much better resources now, but i haven't had to look in a while.  I've found that once i got my head around "Reaper Thinking" i was able to figure out just about anything new that i wanted to do by just poking at things.

The whole concept of 'rendering' output tracks was something it took me a good while to get my head around.  I was so mentally ingrained in a real time, linear workflow that understanding a different approach took some time.  But Old Dogs CAN learn new tricks.  Just takes us longer.

Seriously, i'd haunt YouTube and the Googles.  I think you'll be able to find what you need.  If you have any specific place you get stuck, feel free to PM me and i'll be happy to help if i can....

Thanks Brian, I may send you a few questions.  I've been diving into Reaper and starting to understand the workflow logic of the software.  It's unique.  Like any channel is a bus.  Interesting concept.  Trying to figure out how you get the cool color schemes like on their Wiki picture.  Does that come with that other plug in you mentioned?

This is going to be a no brainer to buy it though.  Here's why:
Presonus gives a $200 discount if you are crossgrading from another DAW (and Reaper is on the list).
So buying Reaper for $60 saves me $200 on Studio One.
It's like they're paying me to buy it.....who could pass up that deal?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: X-Live → SWERVE → Reaper!
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2018, 11:45:14 PM »

Trying to figure out how you get the cool color schemes like on their Wiki picture.  Does that come with that other plug in you mentioned?

There are numerous themes available for Reaper and you can make your own, however, what you're probably seeing is just coloring rules. You can define rules for how tracks are colored based on their names.

Speaking of UI customization, if you really want to delve into it, you can make your own track templates that display only the things you want in the format you want. I once created a live tracking template that showed all 32 tracks in the mixer view as very large meters with no controls other than Arm For Recording. This made the live tracking computer a very visible meter bridge. I may still have that template.

Jay Marr

Re: X-Live → SWERVE → Reaper!
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »

There are numerous themes available for Reaper and you can make your own, however, what you're probably seeing is just coloring rules. You can define rules for how tracks are colored based on their names.

Speaking of UI customization, if you really want to delve into it, you can make your own track templates that display only the things you want in the format you want. I once created a live tracking template that showed all 32 tracks in the mixer view as very large meters with no controls other than Arm For Recording. This made the live tracking computer a very visible meter bridge. I may still have that template.

Wow, 44 pages of Themes! 
I'm starting to get this now.  Reaper is definitely more configurable, but you have to be the type of user who likes that kind of app.
I'm trying to find a Theme that looks like Sonar to the transition easier for my band mates.
Going to purchase Reaper now and start really digging in!

I apologize for the topic swerve.  I have a bad habit of doing that!
If I have more questions, I'll start a thread in the proper place or PM folks.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:44:02 AM by Jay Marr »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2018, 11:56:54 AM »

I don’t have a copy of the licensing terms but you can find the essential info at the sdcard organization web page. I got my intel directly from the developers as they initially wanted to support sdxc using fat32 formatting, but found out that only exFAT was allowed. This is also the reason as to why the presonus series3 mixers only supports up to sdhc as well.

For some reason the exFAT licensing is quite expensive and it is a shame that the sdxc standard won’t allow you to do fat32 since it is capable of up to 2TB or so...

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/index.html

Look at the ”sdxc standard”.

Read quite a bit there, and didn't find anything related to rules against formatting SDXC to FAT32. There is additional licensing costs for supporting exFAT as you said, but that would only be if you are using exFAT, which they are not.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jay Marr

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2018, 12:16:09 PM »

Read quite a bit there, and didn't find anything related to rules against formatting SDXC to FAT32. There is additional licensing costs for supporting exFAT as you said, but that would only be if you are using exFAT, which they are not.

I'm 'guessing' that from a legal perspective, if Behringer told people to just format their SDXC cards to FAT32, then it would be seen as Behringer avoiding paying licensing for exFAT support.

Behringer probably knows very well that the XLive can support larger cards if they're formatted to FAT32, but they can't be the ones to tell you that.  They need to tell you that it is officially not supported.

Otherwise it would be - "hey let me give you (consumer) a workaround so that we (Behringer) don't need to pay licensing fees.

Just my guess.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »

The rule against it is in the licence agreement that a licensee must sign when joining the program.

"A license agreement to use the SD standards"
https://www.sdcard.org/join/pdf/SDA-License-Agreement.pdf

As can been seen in the attached picture there exist only three standards.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »

I did this quick(?) video showing how-to import xlive audio into some daws.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/hOaTGyo2xYg

It can read in multiple 4 gig files (from a single session), explode them into individual tracks, time align the multiple files from a single session, and I can store a template to export (render) into individual (now full length) WAV files....now you're talking!

I will check it out when I get home tonight.  Thank you.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »

I did this quick(?) video showing how-to import xlive audio into some daws.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/hOaTGyo2xYg

Excellent!  Thanks so much...

-Tim T

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.