ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer x-live recording card  (Read 41399 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: Behringer x-live recording card
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »

Jay Marr

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »

Where does reaper fail? I’ve had great success using reaper for converting the files created by the x-live.

The session file format is published by behringer and I’ve heard of a couple of people already started developing utilities.

Nothing wrong with Reaper at all.  In fact I'm shocked at how great of a DAW it is for the price!
But it's just a handful more steps than I'm guessing most of us are used to, when working on a gig/session we just tracked.
And having to buy a new product to use the XLive is kind of a bummer.
I liked the Wave Agent that's been suggested as well (and that's free).  But still more steps than I've ever needed, just to get started working on a mix.

Just an adjustment that we all need to get used to.

What's being suggested (and I agree), is if you could just open a small utility, select your session(s)....walk away, and come back with all the properly rendered stem tracks.  It would be nice to have.

Thanks for pointing us to all these resources Robert, it's all been super helpful with getting the Xlive 'process' up and running.
I just mixed down my first Xlive recording (in Studio One, which I'm also new to), and it's sounding outstanding!!
I'm still on the fence between buying Studio One and Reaper (although Reaper is cheap enough just to have in case I need it).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:55:42 PM by Jay Marr »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2018, 10:11:47 PM »

Nothing wrong with Reaper at all.  In fact I'm shocked at how great of a DAW it is for the price!
But it's just a handful more steps than I'm guessing most of us are used to, when working on a gig/session we just tracked.

One of the great things about Reaper is that you can build custom actions that chain together other actions.

If I find some time, I'll see if I can create and share one that splits the multi-channel wav then exports stems immediately in full-length wavs.

Jay Marr

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »

One of the great things about Reaper is that you can build custom actions that chain together other actions.

If I find some time, I'll see if I can create and share one that splits the multi-channel wav then exports stems immediately in full-length wavs.

Just curious, do you use Reaper as your normal DAW?
It almost seems too good to be true, for the price.  There have to be some limitations?
I downloaded the demo version.  It was a tiny file, installed in seconds, and the program launches faster than any other DAW I've worked on.
I'm trying to find the negatives.....because something can't be this inexpensive and be so good.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »

It almost seems too good to be true, for the price.  There have to be some limitations?
I downloaded the demo version.  It was a tiny file, installed in seconds, and the program launches faster than any other DAW I've worked on.
I'm trying to find the negatives.....because something can't be this inexpensive and be so good.

Yes. I do. I moved from Cakewalk 5 years or more ago. I was never interested in ProTools because of the lack of offline rendering (which was added a few years back).

The only negative I can think of is the slightly steep initial learning curve. It's not a tall learning curve though. It's helpful to add buttons for functions you do often. The menus and toolbars are customizable.

Reaper is one of the few products that I absolutely love and recommend without hesitation. Their pricing and capabilities are crazy good. I'll be up for renewal at the next version and I may just pay the higher commercial price even though I'm not required to according to their licensing. I want to help make sure they continue making the product.

Here are a couple of tips for using Reaper:
1. Download and install the SWS extensions. These add a lot of convenient functionality and are likely used by the majority of Reaper users.
2. If there is something you want to do but don't know the command, hit "?" on the keyboard and it will bring up a searchable library of commands you can then map to shortcut keys or add to a toolbar.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:46:44 AM by Corey Scogin »

Jay Marr

« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »

Yes. I do. I moved from Cakewalk 5 years or more ago. I was never interested in ProTools because of the lack of offline rendering (which was added a few years back).

The only negative I can think of is the slightly steep initial learning curve. It's not a tall learning curve though. It's helpful to add buttons for functions you do often. The menus and toolbars are customizable.

Reaper is one of the few products that I absolutely love and recommend without hesitation. Their pricing and capabilities are crazy good. I'll be up for renewal at the next version and I may just pay the higher commercial price even though I'm not required to according to their licensing. I want to help make sure they continue making the product.

Here are a couple of tips for using Reaper:
1. Download and install the SWS extensions. These add a lot of convenient functionality and are likely used by the majority of Reaper users.
2. If there is something you want to do but don't know the command, hit "?" on the keyboard and it will bring up a searchable library of commands you can then map to shortcut keys or add to a toolbar.

You're killing me!
Here I was thinking I was converting from Sonar to Studio One....but now I'm going to have to give Reaper a good week trial.

Thanks for your insight Corey.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2018, 11:29:55 AM »

Everything Corey said is true.  It really is that good.  I've been using it for about 8 years now and i continue to be a huge fan.

I think my favorite thing about Reaper is what you alluded to already.  It is a VERY efficient, lightweight program.  As such, it is nothing short of amazing what you can do using it on older, otherwise obsolete machines.  When i was working for a church a few years ago i used it to track 48 tracks from a pair of X32s we were using for FOH.  I bought a surplus PowerMac G5 off Fleabay for like 50 bucks, installed Reaper, and that record machine worked like a champ.  I mixed with something a little more [okay, a LOT more] powerful, but the fact that i could build a 48-track recorder for a little over a hundred bucks that worked flawlessly was truly amazing.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »

Studio One is a great product. It is simple to use and intuitive while still being highly advanced.

Reaper is a great product and can do everything, including brewing coffee. This is also where my troubles starts since there is just too much for me and my ocd ;-) I've bought a license though since I use it on occasion and I can use it on my old mac G4  8)

However, my main daws are cubase and studio one and I use those 90% of the time. I used to use ableton live a lot but it has been a while since I fired her up. Since I am a mac convert I've invested in Logic for the sake of it...

You're killing me!
Here I was thinking I was converting from Sonar to Studio One....but now I'm going to have to give Reaper a good week trial.

Thanks for your insight Corey.

Jay Marr

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2018, 12:55:05 PM »

Thanks all for the insight.
This is feeling more like I'm going to end up owning two DAWs.

I spent about 20+ hours on Studio One this past week and I'm really enjoying it.  Two things I wish it had that Sonar has:
1) ability to click anywhere on the track screen and have the curser go there (I know you can accomplish the same by hitting cntrl-space bar)
2) a view of the 'effects bin' when in track mode.  Sonar allows all effects viewable (for all tracks), when you're in track mode.  It's a cool little feature.

Those two things aside, there are some features that blow Sonar out of the water, so I'll have no problem making the leap to Studio One.

I am going to spend some time with Reaper this week and see how things turn out.  Reaper is so cheap, it's hard to just not buy it. 
BUT... I need to really commit to one or the other because I have 3 other guys that are going to also buy the software.  (all of my band members take tracks home to mix or record).  I have the task of picking the software, and then teaching them all how to use it.

We have been a Sonar camp for over 15 years, but always had the issue of no Mac compatibility (two of the guys like Macs).
So Cakewalk closing up shop was a good kick in the butt to go find something that is PC and Mac compatible.

Again, appreciate all the insight.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »

Thanks all for the insight.
This is feeling more like I'm going to end up owning two DAWs.

I spent about 20+ hours on Studio One this past week and I'm really enjoying it.  Two things I wish it had that Sonar has:
1) ability to click anywhere on the track screen and have the curser go there (I know you can accomplish the same by hitting cntrl-space bar)
2) a view of the 'effects bin' when in track mode.  Sonar allows all effects viewable (for all tracks), when you're in track mode.  It's a cool little feature.

Those two things aside, there are some features that blow Sonar out of the water, so I'll have no problem making the leap to Studio One.

I am going to spend some time with Reaper this week and see how things turn out.  Reaper is so cheap, it's hard to just not buy it. 
BUT... I need to really commit to one or the other because I have 3 other guys that are going to also buy the software.  (all of my band members take tracks home to mix or record).  I have the task of picking the software, and then teaching them all how to use it.

We have been a Sonar camp for over 15 years, but always had the issue of no Mac compatibility (two of the guys like Macs).
So Cakewalk closing up shop was a good kick in the butt to go find something that is PC and Mac compatible.

Again, appreciate all the insight.

With this i will stop swerving this topic and trying to sell you on Reaper...  :)

One of the things i like most about Reaper is it's ability to completely customize the entire menu and control interface.  Reaper does about 500 things that i will NEVER do, so one of the first things i did was remove all those things from the Menus so i didn't have to sort through a bunch of stuff i'll never use.  I also rewrote the mouse control modifiers to ONLY do things i actual do and not anything else so i wouldn't have any unexpected behaviors just because i hit the wrong modifier key.

What this could mean for you application is that you could make a custom set of menus and interface for you and your band members to use to greatly simplify your workflow and make the transition to a new DAW a little less painful.

Okay, end of sales speech.  I swear i don't get anything in return.  i just really like the software.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.