ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM only venues  (Read 2505 times)

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
Re: IEM only venues
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »

Hey Jim

We use all IEM's for our 80's band ......AND we use Marshall half stacks........ BUT we side wash our Cabs right behind the OFH stacks so at OFH you cant even SEE our amps  - Running a 100 watt Marshall Super Lead, I use a Rivera Rock Crusher that bring the volume down and still get good tone.

Some working bands come see us and before the show ask WHY we side wash  - well once they hear the show they KNOW why we do 

Pointing Marshalls and Fender Twins AT the crowd is just NUTS

Patrick

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 12:18:56 PM »

The venue I work in most frequently has a max cap of 2000.  In such a venue we still have to endure the Marshall (or Vox or Twin or Super Reverb) set on "Romulan disrupter" that requires an FOH mix SPL of 110dBA to keep up...  It's one of those dubious "artistic things" typically from one trick pony players.

Is there some in-between?  I'm sure that it exists, Jay, but like Sasquatch it's almost never seen and reports are anecdotal.  ;)
Can't just blame guitars though, acoustic drums are loud by nature too, and it's not their fault for doing what they need to do to get their sound. Still, I've noticed a higher level of professionalism and ability from guys who will play behind plexiglass and not take it as an affront to their ego.
The main downside to IEM-only is that it leads to guitar modelers that sound like a buzzing bee hive with a subwoofer.
I haven't yet heard an emulation strategy that sounds nearly as good as a real amp either.  The best tone I've heard from guitars has consistently been from small combo amps which are well isolated and/or offstage completely.
Then I get to work with guitarists who can create almost any tone from a Pignose practice amp, 1 pedal, and their fingers.
Yes! It's the player, not the gear.  I did monitors at a mid-size outdoor venue for several acts last Summer.  Kenny Wayne was one, and he's this guy.  His pedal setup fits in a laptop case, he used two rental combo amps behind glass, both only at "Tribble" levels, and just two guitars.  He had some of the most epic, lush, 3-D tone I've heard.  It translated through both IEM's and mains beautifully.

I finished a tour six weeks ago where our guitar player had a custom that was barely larger than a pig nose.  He had it in a case and it was behind glass offstage.  Our drummer was behind glass, even in large venues, and it was delightful.  Our IEM mix was like recording in a studio, and I've never received so many compliments for great sound. 
It takes a little getting used to, but isolation/IEM is really the future.

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »

Hey Jim

We use all IEM's for our 80's band ......AND we use Marshall half stacks........ BUT we side wash our Cabs.
Was in a hard rock club band that did this for a while.  It does work much better than aiming them at the crowd and at the player's kneecaps.  Still, drums were crushing and I was using my Klingon death-ray bass rig on 'eleven' to keep up with dueling guitar rigs in stereo.  I love to get loud too and am enough of an old salt to remember that this was the norm.  But aside from the band's personal enjoyment, I'm still of the opinion that better sound out front only happens with isolation.
Pointing Marshalls and Fender Twins AT the crowd is just NUTS
Yep.  Unfortunately, there are still plenty of guys out there that take pleasure in this, LOL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.