ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technical Projects —> RTS intercom.  (Read 5845 times)

Al Rettich

Technical Projects —> RTS intercom.
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »

I just bought a Technical Projects intercom that I’m wondering if it’ll work for RTS? Anyone ever tried?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Technical Projects —> RTS intercom.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »

I just bought a Technical Projects intercom that I’m wondering if it’ll work for RTS? Anyone ever tried?

IIRC Technical Projects is Clear Com compatible, so it will not work as expected with an RTS system. It will work after a fashion, but it will be on the second channel of whatever RTS dialup it's on, and the talk level may be low and the listen level high as RTS is a +4 system and CC is -10.

Mac

Al Rettich

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »

That sucks.  Found a 1 RU belt-pack that was going to be perfect.  Guess now I need to go back to start looking for a 1 ru belt pack for RTS that you can make work.  I had one unit, bought a 1RU panel, just didn’t work. 
IIRC Technical Projects is Clear Com compatible, so it will not work as expected with an RTS system. It will work after a fashion, but it will be on the second channel of whatever RTS dialup it's on, and the talk level may be low and the listen level high as RTS is a +4 system and CC is -10.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »

That sucks.  Found a 1 RU belt-pack that was going to be perfect.  Guess now I need to go back to start looking for a 1 ru belt pack for RTS that you can make work.  I had one unit, bought a 1RU panel, just didn’t work.

Another difference with RTS - the headset connector is reverse gender from the Telex and Clear Com standard.  Get a set of 4 pin "gender-benders" to keep in your coms bag so you can use whatever headset you own with whatever belt packs you encounter.

I got tired of funky belt packs - broken switches, burned out call lights, etc so I bought my own.  I carry a Clear Com pack, a Telex pack, a Telex/TRS to CC converter box, single & double muff headsets and a handset.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »

I got tired of funky belt packs - broken switches, burned out call lights, etc so I bought my own.  I carry a Clear Com pack, a Telex pack, a Telex/TRS to CC converter box, single & double muff headsets and a handset.

I am amazed at how few traveling techs DON'T do this.  At the very least carry a headset and a couple turnarounds/XLR5-XLR4 adapters.  I carry something like 5 different styles of headsets with the company i work for now and i still get techs that roll their eyes and get whiny because they don't like what i have to offer.

I bought all my own comms stuff a LONG time ago.  I have beltpacks for every imaginable 2-wire system and headsets to match a wide variety of applications.  Granted, i'm a bit of a comms nerd.  but still....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Greg Bellotte

• SLC, UT
    • www.MambaFiber.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »

I am amazed at how few traveling techs DON'T do this.

I agree, if only for hygiene reasons alone. Call me a germ-o-phobe  :-\, but I only wear my personal headphones/headsets. And I don't let anyone else use them.

It's something I feel pretty strongly about. Does anyone else out there run a disinfectant wipe over your rental headsets before they go out on a job? Or do you take the time to do this yourself before using a headset? I wash my foam mic windscreens now and then too. Obsessive??
timing is everything...

www.MambaFiber.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:30 PM »

I agree, if only for hygiene reasons alone. Call me a germ-o-phobe  :-\, but I only wear my personal headphones/headsets. And I don't let anyone else use them.

It's something I feel pretty strongly about. Does anyone else out there run a disinfectant wipe over your rental headsets before they go out on a job? Or do you take the time to do this yourself before using a headset? I wash my foam mic windscreens now and then too. Obsessive??

Only mildly obsessive.

We use sanitizing wipes on vocal mics and foam windscreens get cleaned after each gig they're used on.

I hadn't worried about headsets at our PAC until they got new ear cushion covers that were textile and I could smell... uh... them.  I remove them and replace them later if I use those headsets, and now I use a wipe on the plastic bits, too.  For headsets that don't have cloth, I generally don't worry much as most bacteria and virii that infect people don't live terribly long in cold, dry conditions.

Bringing my own coms stuff is a defensive move; for a long time it seemed like most of the "house" gear I encountered was badly in need of maintenance.  Now I don't even look at house or rental gear, I just ask what brand is in use and set up my station.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 06:40:53 PM »

Bringing my own coms stuff is a defensive move; for a long time it seemed like most of the "house" gear I encountered was badly in need of maintenance.  Now I don't even look at house or rental gear, I just ask what brand is in use and set up my station.

yup.

My go to is a Model 233 Announcer console which can take Clearcom TW or RTS natively and i've got a couple extra bits in case of something weird [including an adapter that turns a beltpack headset connector into 4W that basically covers anything they throw at me].  This lets me add in my Cue buss to my headset as well as have my talkback to the console come from my comms headset [on a separate button from my comms].  This also allows me to use a wide variety of earpiece and microphone combinations since it has standard Mic and Headphone connectors as well as traditional 4 pin connectors.

Not a cheap solution, but worth every freakin' penny....

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Al Rettich

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »

Brian, is their a technical project piece?
yup.

My go to is a Model 233 Announcer console which can take Clearcom TW or RTS natively and i've got a couple extra bits in case of something weird [including an adapter that turns a beltpack headset connector into 4W that basically covers anything they throw at me].  This lets me add in my Cue buss to my headset as well as have my talkback to the console come from my comms headset [on a separate button from my comms].  This also allows me to use a wide variety of earpiece and microphone combinations since it has standard Mic and Headphone connectors as well as traditional 4 pin connectors.

Not a cheap solution, but worth every freakin' penny....

brian maddox

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »

Brian, is their a technical project piece?

If you mean is there a Technical Projects equivalent to this announcer console, i'm not sure.  The Model 233 is fully compatible with 2-channel RTS though and i use it thusly all the time.

Just be prepared for a little bit of sticker shock....

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Al Rettich

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »

Sorry, meant to ask who makes the 223? iPhone stupidity!!
If you mean is there a Technical Projects equivalent to this announcer console, i'm not sure.  The Model 233 is fully compatible with 2-channel RTS though and i use it thusly all the time.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »

Sorry, meant to ask who makes the 223? iPhone stupidity!!

The company is Studio Technologies, the product is an Announcer's Console. Studio Technologies makes great products, I'm a big fan of their Model 47 4W to 2W Interface.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:52 PM »

I lost more money in the Tulip Market bubble....  :o

The on line price is around US$1195.  The 220 is $895.

The various configuration options/setting and available accessories make these really flexible.  The ability to connect, route and configure incoming PGM/cue/coms/IFB and route where outgoing local mic signal goes - wearing only 1 headset - is very appealing.  It probably will do a half dozen other things, too...

brian maddox

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »

I lost more money in the Tulip Market bubble....  :o

The on line price is around US$1195.  The 220 is $895.

The various configuration options/setting and available accessories make these really flexible.  The ability to connect, route and configure incoming PGM/cue/coms/IFB and route where outgoing local mic signal goes - wearing only 1 headset - is very appealing.  It probably will do a half dozen other things, too...

Well, clearly i agree with you since i bought one.  :)

I guess i was right to stay out of the tulip trade.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

Β« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 04:29:30 PM Β»

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.