ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Distro Cabling Question  (Read 8707 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Power Distro Cabling Question
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »

I'm going to be working there often, so I think what I'll do is get them to install a 50amp California connector for me to plug into that's on a 50 amp breaker in the service panel.

That should solve the issue wouldn't it?
Yes, and for considerably less cost than a listed portable device and feeder to do the step-down.

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »

If any part of the feed to your distro is rated for less than the next upstream breaker (like, for instance, the California connector) then there needs to be a proper breaker protecting the downstream (California )connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I used to use 50amp Calis on 50' 6/4 SO feeders that fed rack mounted distros in my amp racks.. This was an ideal solution when working with most generators that already had Calis.
But there were a few venues with a 200 amp 3 phase company switch on camlocks. For those I built a small panel with 50amp breakers and Calis. When needed I could rent #2 or #4 camlok to bare end tails to tie in to the panel so the main feeder was always rated for the higher service and I had 50amp breakers feeding (protecting) the 6/4.

Gene Hardage

• SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »

I have a power distro with a 50amp California twist lock connector on the end of the my supply cable. Single phase. The house has Cam Lock connectors.   

I know it's not good practice to use Cam Lock feeds without the outside rubber jacket.

What would be a good and safe way to get from Cam Lock to a 50amp California connector?

Thanks

You need a few this to that adapters. 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:04:50 PM by Gene Hardage »

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »

You need a few this to that adapters.

Most of those adapters are 50a to 50a but you have to be careful with camlok - most services with camlok are 200a or more. You NEED a breaker to be SURE that you dont try to pull more than 50a on the components that are only rated for 50a.

In the picture I see camloks on what looks like 6guage cable - that could be bad news plugged in to a 200a service.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »

Most of those adapters are 50a to 50a but you have to be careful with camlok - most services with camlok are 200a or more. You NEED a breaker to be SURE that you dont try to pull more than 50a on the components that are only rated for 50a.

In the picture I see camloks on what looks like 6guage cable - that could be bad news plugged in to a 200a service.

The Camlocks in the picture appear to go straight to a panel with presumably appropriate sized breakers and then to a yellow box that i'm also going to assume has some kind of 50amp connector on it.

[Yes i used 'appear', 'presumably' and 'assume' in the same sentence...]

Of course the Ground and Neutral aren't turned around.  But i digress...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 08:22:41 PM »

The Camlocks in the picture appear to go straight to a panel with presumably appropriate sized breakers and then to a yellow box that i'm also going to assume has some kind of 50amp connector on it.

[Yes i used 'appear', 'presumably' and 'assume' in the same sentence...]

Of course the Ground and Neutral aren't turned around.  But i digress...

My 12 year old Code book does not *require* reversed ground or neutral connectors, rather it permits them.  Other allowed connection restrictions include physical interlocks to prevent conductor interchange and out-of-sequence connections, and restricting access and use to "qualified personnel" and posting of connection sequence at the point of service terminations.

Edit ps - NEC is "proposed" Code and the States and municipalities are free to adopt or not adopt code as they see fit.  They may also have codes that have more restrictive or more lenient practices.  The above may not apply in your locale, request clarification from your local Authority Having Jurisdiction.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:25:53 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »

Another point in the picture is the usage of single pole connectors (cams) on conductors then going into jacketed cable.

Edit: This Is A Bad Thing.

Also, there's the Range Plug to CS adapter tail, that has exposed conductors before entering the Range Plug. Your AHJ may object to exposed not-sufficiently-protected conductors outside of the plug assembly.

-Ray
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:30:54 AM by Ray Aberle »
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »

Another point in the picture is the usage of single pole connectors (cams) on conductors then going into jacketed cable.

-Ray
Which, in case it wasn’t clear, is a bad thing.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »

Which, in case it wasn’t clear, is a bad thing.
Yes. In my mind I was in critique mode, but I wasn't obvious about that in my post.  :o

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.