ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HF driver protection for Peavey Impulse 12D  (Read 19365 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: HF driver protection for Peavey Impulse 12D
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »

I'll do that test with the most recent speaker having the issue.

As to my thoughts thus far:
The original post asked a specific question.
Perhaps (like many posts) it is the wrong question.
But in any case, so far there does not seem to be a viable answer where I get to keep the current speakers.
(Remember, the question asked what I can do to the system, not do to myself.)
While the responses to replace the speakers may be the "right" thing to do, that does not satisfy my intent of the original post.
So my actual thought is "how hard can it be to build a device that can protect speakers, with parameters specific to each driver?" (perhaps too hard to make it affordable?)

Not hard, for usual drivers, but ribbons are very easy to tear up- very "binary", work/pop.

There is a device that would work as a retrofit in your existing cabinets:
http://www.fohonline.com/newgear/8493-eminence-d-fend-speaker-protectorattenuator-.html

However, it requires very specific set up, and may no longer be available.
I have one, it lists  Evenstar, www.SLSAUDIO.COM  phone 417-883-4549 as the patent holder.

It works far better than a lamp (lamps are not consistent enough for such a fussy piece as a ribbon), but is also far more expensive, and set up requires a lot of specific parameters to be met.

Art

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »

Not hard, for usual drivers, but ribbons are very easy to tear up- very "binary", work/pop.

There is a device that would work as a retrofit in your existing cabinets:
http://www.fohonline.com/newgear/8493-eminence-d-fend-speaker-protectorattenuator-.html

However, it requires very specific set up, and may no longer be available.
I have one, it lists  Evenstar, www.SLSAUDIO.COM  phone 417-883-4549 as the patent holder.

It works far better than a lamp (lamps are not consistent enough for such a fussy piece as a ribbon), but is also far more expensive, and set up requires a lot of specific parameters to be met.

Art
I am surprised that Peavey did not already design in some smart protection, this is not their first rodeo with powered speakers.

The Versarray HF section may not be optimal matched to a 12" LF driver.  Probably needs a smart excursion calculation for the lowest frequency range the HF driver has to cover in DSP (pretty cheap these days).

I am repeating myself but ask Peavey for their advice... If enough people have complained they will probably be working on it. Back in the day transducer engineering was in the same building as customer service, so any speaker product problem wouldn't be a secret for very long.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 08:52:45 PM »

A little more info. After looking at my records, of the 4 events, both speakers simultaneously blew the HF 1 time (loud feedback event), the other 3 events were all the same 1 speaker.

I am hoping to do the frequency sweep to test the HF output on that unit this coming weekend.
After that I will call or email Peavey for advice.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Scott Bolt

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »

A little more info. After looking at my records, of the 4 events, both speakers simultaneously blew the HF 1 time (loud feedback event), the other 3 events were all the same 1 speaker.

I am hoping to do the frequency sweep to test the HF output on that unit this coming weekend.
After that I will call or email Peavey for advice.

FWIW, I have had sustained feedback through my DSR112's (accidental) on multiple occasions and have never blown a driver.

I hope you get some solution for the issue you are having, but for me, having powered speakers blow in this day and age should be a thing of the past. 

Good luck to you.  Buy your wife some flowers and butter her up!

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »

Buy your wife some flowers and butter her up!
That's how I got my new X32 compact. That only works 1 time per calendar year. (max) :)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Dan Godwin

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:43 AM »

That's how I got my new X32 compact. That only works 1 time per calendar year. (max) :)

Scott Bolt

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »

LMAO!

There is always the race to bankruptcy approach.  Let her buy something you can't afford so you can also buy something you can't afford ;)

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »

There is always the race to bankruptcy approach.  Let her buy something you can't afford so you can also buy something you can't afford ;)
I do need to have the roof redone, and I have just enough saved to cover it, but instead of being responsible, I should tell the wife to buy something shiny sparkly while I order a new guitar and some pa speakers.
Steve Loewenthal

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »

Installment for the day:
I removed the driver, disconnected the woofer, and did the frequency sweep test on the HF output with a full range speaker. I could barely hear 400 hz, 1k reasonably well, 2k about twice as loud, and higher frequencies a little louder than that.
The HF driver showed no visible signs of failure. Hooking it up the the HF out it produced a reasonable sound but at a somewhat reduced volume.
Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 as loud as the full range test speaker.
Putting the unit back in and reconnecting the woofer, then listening to music side by side with the other good speaker there was a definite difference. If I played with the eq on my phone (the music source) and maxed the 2k and up and reduced the stuff below 1k, it almost sounded the similar to the good speaker.

I'll call Peavey on Monday.

Meanwhile I've ordered a non-magnetic tweezers and punch to attempt to replace the ribbon. I just happen to have a spare ribbon that Peavey shipped with unit when they did the last repair.
I still think the ribbon is the issue, but I'll see what Peavey says when I talk to them.
Steve Loewenthal

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »

And 1 more thing. I did the dishes tonight. :)
Steve Loewenthal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.