ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HF driver protection for Peavey Impulse 12D  (Read 19364 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: HF driver protection for Peavey Impulse 12D
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »

There has always been a visibly obvious tear in the ribbon. Never saw burn marks.
Peavey charged $65 for the most recent repair. (January 2017)
I could purchase just the replacement ribbon much cheaper if I wanted to attempt it myself. (I'd need to purchase some non-magnetic tools.)
I may want to consider learning how to repair this myself if this trend were to continue. Even if I do it wrong a few times and ruin a couple ribbons while learning, it might be more convenient in the long run.

At this point I just consider it a cost of using these speakers, albeit a nuisance.

Ummm.. no.
To actually PLAN on replacing ribbons on a semi regular basis is certainly NOT cost effective.
To say nothing of part (or all) of a show missing the high end. REGULARLY.
If you are unable/unwilling to modify your behavior, fix them, and sell them off. 
Get the Yammy's that everyone is talking about.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »

I'll investigate that. I'm hoping/guessing there is a de-esser built into the x32 compact.
I mentioned using the de-esser in passing, I have never used one that way so do not know if it will be helpful.

This is the first time I ever saw that speaker and it appears using that HF driver on top of a 12" requires putting a lot of midrange through the HF section. A de-esser won't really help that.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »

The Impulse 12D will stand for years as a shining example of how to take a great design idea and totally #$%! it up.  The ribbon driver that Peavey uses sounds amazing, within its design limits.  I have heard it in the 12D and the Versarray series.  However, when placed in a poorly designed, poorly constructed speaker system with the added bonus of not enough protection for the HF driver, you got the catastrophically bad 12D.  I auditioned a pair extensively at a local shop when they came out.  The highs sounded great, the rest kinda meh.  Build quality was sub-par.  Peavey's next generation cab with the ribbon tweeter (the RBN series) is getting much better reviews on line, but I have not yet heard one in person, so take that as hearsay until you try for yourself.

Fir what it is worth, I am in the "fix them, sell them, buy the Yamaha DSR112" crowd.

Just my $0.02.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 08:54:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies. My thoughts so far:
* No budget this year for speakers. Don't want to sell my 4 QSC HPR 115i's, and don't want to spend the emotional capital to justify it to the wife. Not completely out of the question for some time next year.
* Not concerned about no HF for a show. Many shows I use only 1 speaker anyway because it sounds better. (And I don't need the little bit extra SPL a 2nd speaker might offer to the other side.) I also keep 2 of the HPR 115i in the trailer so I always have an extra speaker if needed.
* I'll talk to Peavey and see if they have any suggestions.
* I'll try replacing the ribbon myself so I can save a few bucks, get faster turn around not waiting for shipping each way, and not have the hassle of packaging it for shipping.
* Probably not bother with frequency specific compression (ie de-esser) because I would not know what frequency causes the issue and don't want to experiment with hot plugging stuff while watching meters.
* I'll make an attempt to be more careful about muting before plugging and powering stuff on-off. (History is not on my side here, but since I am older, hopefully I'll get wiser.)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »

* Probably not bother with frequency specific compression (ie de-esser) because I would not know what frequency causes the issue and don't want to experiment with hot plugging stuff while watching meters.
* I'll make an attempt to be more careful about muting before plugging and powering stuff on-off. (History is not on my side here, but since I am older, hopefully I'll get wiser.)
Steve,
The ripped ribbon specifically says it is a frequency dependent excursion, not power problem. This appears to be due to bad design, but there is a possibility the HF crossover section is simply not working, and is passing full range, in which case it needs repair.
You could test that by attaching a full range speaker to the HF output and doing a frequency sweep- the level should drop by 24 dB from 2KHz to 1Khz- 10 dB sounds half as loud to your ear, so the level should drop big time. If it does not, the crossover is defective.

That said, IIRC, you are blowing both ribbons with equal regularity, so more likely it's just a bad design  :'(.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »

You could test that by attaching a full range speaker to the HF output

I'll do that test with the most recent speaker having the issue.

As to my thoughts thus far:
The original post asked a specific question.
Perhaps (like many posts) it is the wrong question.
But in any case, so far there does not seem to be a viable answer where I get to keep the current speakers.
(Remember, the question asked what I can do to the system, not do to myself.)
While the responses to replace the speakers may be the "right" thing to do, that does not satisfy my intent of the original post.
So my actual thought is "how hard can it be to build a device that can protect speakers, with parameters specific to each driver?" (perhaps too hard to make it affordable?)

has only been  from my point of view is the  I forgot to mention the most important one, which goes ba
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »

Steve, repair the blown ribbons and sell the 12Ds.  Buy the Yamahas.  Seriously.
Yes.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »

that does not satisfy my intent of the original post.
So my actual thought is "how hard can it be to build a device that can protect speakers, with parameters specific to each driver?" (perhaps too hard to make it affordable?)

Any DSP based multi-way speaker controller/processor.
All you have to do is add the controller, and another amp.
Again, hardly cost effective.
Buy the Yammies. You have the wrong tool for your job.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

hiep nguyen

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »

As to my thoughts thus far:
 "how hard can it be to build a device that can protect speakers, with parameters specific to each driver?" (perhaps too hard to make it affordable?)
Steve, If you desire keep using the Peavey and a DIYer try putting a light bulb/resistor or ptc in series with the HF driver. The difficult is to find the correct (watt) size bulb, ptc . It's "try and error" scenario. Do you know the HF parameter? Good luck with the mod and report back the outcome.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »

Steve, physical damage to the ribbon is the result of mechanical damage from over excursion, which is the result of too much voltage at too low frequency.  Think about that for a minute and then review the solutions you are considering; then come back and tell us how the solution you pick directly addresses THAT issue.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.