ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Smallish 2 way SOS powered boxes  (Read 14141 times)

Dave Batistig

Re: Smallish 2 way SOS powered boxes
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »

So, I am looking for a couple of smaller speakers. The picture in my head is QSC K10 sized.

I like the back panel on the original K12s but not so much the weight.

These would be for talking heads sorta things, small folk group settings or, over a sub, small party playback.

Likely will be looking for gently used.

What’s good out there?

RCF HD-12 or HD-10

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »

I have four RCF NX M10A boxes, love them. Not to  be confused with the NX 10SMA coaxial, these little two ways are really top tier in the MI bracket. They'd miss out on entry level pro, but not by much I reckon. I've ABd them with DXR10s - the plastic boxes get resonant in the low mids when pushed, not so the woodbox RCFs.

Discontinued, but if you chance upon a pair don't hesitate.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 07:17:02 PM »

So, I am looking for a couple of smaller speakers. The picture in my head is QSC K10 sized.

I like the back panel on the original K12s but not so much the weight.

These would be for talking heads sorta things, small folk group settings or, over a sub, small party playback.

Likely will be looking for gently used.

What’s good out there?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard the Yamaha DXR10 and it's a close match to the DSR series, in a molded box

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »

+1 to the suggestions so far, but also look at the EV ZXA1.  Great sounding little speaker.
I just picked up 3 of the non-powered version.  The powered one sounded just as nice in the store.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 06:03:44 AM »

Rob, look at the RCF/ART gear, Ive got some 310s that are real sleepers, sound better than the harsh K stuff, have used them for exactly what you describe as well as wedges. M Pyle can get you metal grills for them too. - Mike

Robert Patch

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »

I want to chime in on the QSC K10's.  They are very handy boxes for what they are.  I have 6 of them and they are great for break out rooms and that sort of thing.  I've seen wedding DJ's making a good go of it with them.  I have a pair that I use on the porch of my beach house with a KV2 EX2.2 sub, so I've listened to them a LOT.  I am always aware of what I am missing.  They are good enough for many situations, but they are very far from great.  Still handy.  I'd look elsewhere.  I sure love my RCF NX12-SMA's, but who wants speaker wires sticking out the top of their speaker?

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »

My experience with the DXR10:

Pros.

32 Lbs.  Attractive.  Affordable.  Can play very loud before it gets "unpleasant', and that is only because it is too loud.  Vertical + Tilt pole cups

3-position voicing.  Off - Very Hi-Fi (think: happy hour).  FOH - effectively 'in your face", without getting screechy (flip to it when the dancing starts). Mon - I have not used this setting.

HPF: Off / 100Hz / 120Hz  That's what sealed the deal for me.

It fits perfectly:  Stagg SPB-10 Padded Nylon Carrier Bag for 10-Inch Molded Speaker - Black

Oudoors, 1 DXR10 (hi-pass 120Hz)  can keep up with 4 Sb122s.

<edit>  1 DXR10 also packs quite a wallop over a pair of ZXA1-Subs (still crossed at 120Hz). 

Cons:   

You have to be careful lifting it onto a tall (forehead high) stand as it has only a top handle.  Make sure your hands are not sweaty as you grip the sides - carry a towel.

As noted, the cabinet can get a midrange honk, especially if mixing directly (within 3 feet) behind it.  This can be a bit annoying (solvable), but I don't notice the problem out front.

---  I also own ZXA1s, which are considerably smaller and lighter.  They are also very good.  Soundwise, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.  The DXR10s sound 'bigger', because they are.   
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:43:07 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »

Yamaha DXR10 is the best of the reasonably-priced bunch.

+1 - I LOVE mine!

edit : I sold my QSC K10's because I favor the DXR's.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 03:53:59 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:59 AM »

I’ve never seen a pole mount like that before... What is it and what does it offer compared to a single pole?

Johan Falt

• Sweden/Jonkoping
    • http://www.lucas.se
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 03:36:10 AM »

Yamaha DXR10 or maybe DXR8

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 03:36:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.