ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Euroblock Wiring  (Read 4199 times)

Ben Easler

Euroblock Wiring
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:57 AM »

Hello all,
I am working on programming/wiring my first DSP system. It has Euroblock/Phoenix style connectors. What kind of balanced wire is best for wiring these in a rack type setup? The existing wire is pretty thin three strand wire (+-G). What kind do I need to get?
Thanks in advance.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Euroblock Wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »

Hello all,
I am working on programming/wiring my first DSP system. It has Euroblock/Phoenix style connectors. What kind of balanced wire is best for wiring these in a rack type setup? The existing wire is pretty thin three strand wire (+-G). What kind do I need to get?
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the existing wire is install cable which will work just fine.

Ben Easler

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »

Sounds like the existing wire is install cable which will work just fine.

It is! I just need more - the existing system DSP did not break apart the speaker zones as much as the new one will. It looks to be 14 awg. This stuff at Sweetwater is 22: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/2condshldin
Does it matter?
Any experience with cheaper cable like this from Amazon?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DFHKRB?psc=1
I have good experience with cabling and wires from the Monoprice brand that I have purchased on amazon but I don't see any there like this.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »

The 22awg stuff will be mic cable and the 14awg stuff will be speaker cable.  Generally not interchangeable.  The speaker wire will come out of the amps and you'll use the mic wire both in and out of the dsp.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »

Hello all,
Thanks in advance.
22 or 24 ga is fine for DSP wiring.  2 cond + shield is all you need.

I like West penn 291 because it is available in many colors, which makes tracing wires easy in a rack.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ben Easler

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:09:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice! I found what I needed. Wish I read about the West Penn here first that Ivan suggested! It is what our racks are actually wired with already and looks really expensive. I bought some of the stuff from Sweetwater but I didn't buy a ton. If I need more I will go that route!

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »

I prefer to use West Penn x454 cable.

It is also available in many colors and it is easier to strip as the foil is bonded to the jacket and there is no cellophane and extra string inside the cable.

WP454 also uses tinned copper whereas WP291 uses bare copper wire.

Neither WP291 nor WPx454 is terribly expensive to buy in 1000' spools or boxes.

Here are the specs so you can compare them yourself. I used to use WP291 quite a lot, then we found WP454 and never went back because of how much better it is to work with.

West Penn 291

West Penn 454

Bottom line is that either one is a good choice for rack wiring and site wiring, where allowed.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »

I prefer to use West Penn x454 cable.
then we found WP454 and never went back because of how much better it is to work with.

Same here,
-also Belden 9451 and Liberty 22-1P-EZ are essentially clones

Also Liberty makes a siamese version of the 22-1P that I use quite a bit for stereo pairs, (I'm sure the other manufacturers do too)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.