ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator OK for digital equipment?  (Read 17353 times)

hiep nguyen

Re: Generator OK for digital equipment?
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »

Mid to high freq are WAY off.

so true including some of Fluke models

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »

Yesterday I spoke on the phone with the guy who is providing the generator - ( he has also provided all the staging) .
I put all the questions that have been presented here and he assured me everything is as it should be. It seems they do these types of shows all the time and he was very aware of how it needs to be configured for today's show.
I told him it should be grounded to the stage and have  a grounding rod too.
We are leaving soon to get to Greensboro by 1.30pm (it has been a crazy 3 days for us- with no time to think)...  Apparently the generator guy will be there for the entire time which makes things a bit easier.

So... here goes ......

As always - Thanks peeps and I'll do some reading over the next few weeks and perhaps get me one of the testers mentioned here on top of the ones I already use.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »

Yesterday I spoke on the phone with the guy who is providing the generator - ( he has also provided all the staging) .
I put all the questions that have been presented here and he assured me everything is as it should be. It seems they do these types of shows all the time and he was very aware of how it needs to be configured for today's show.
I told him it should be grounded to the stage and have  a grounding rod too.
We are leaving soon to get to Greensboro by 1.30pm (it has been a crazy 3 days for us- with no time to think)...  Apparently the generator guy will be there for the entire time which makes things a bit easier.

So... here goes ......

As always - Thanks peeps and I'll do some reading over the next few weeks and perhaps get me one of the testers mentioned here on top of the ones I already use.

Get the Extech that has been mentioned before, it's easy for quick checks.  Take pictures, let's see how the grounding and bonding is done.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 12:30:28 AM »

The Whisperwatt comes in a lot of flavors but in general is the type of genset I call a "real generator" when I post about portable power.

It's a real sine wave output with good voltage regulation.  You should be fine.

One of the things that gives these bigger gensets good voltage regulation is a large rotating mass. That's a lot of inertia that won't slow down (or speed up) as much when the load suddenly changes.

This is a good thread. Could be sticky-worthy.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 11:10:38 AM »

Well.....

Got to the show (It was an event held for leukemia survivors and to raise funds from sponsorships)
The 'generator guy' tested everything out while I stood there. The output was a very steady 60hz and 120v stable according to his meters. Nice super heavy duty cables to spider boxes and once I was satisfied, we connected.

Anyway, that was the easy part - the hard part was dealing with the rain that 2-3 days prior wasn't forecast and even on the day was supposed to be a passing light rain at around 3-4pm. The staging company provided what looked like a really nicely built and designed stage with a heavy duty roof. Had back and side sections - just open at front and first few feet front sides.
When we got there, it had already rained and there was a huge puddle right where the drums would set up. There was a leak in the roof and it was still dripping - we could see the hole through to the sky.  We told the event organizers about it and they had to send someone to buy towels. We had some but needed them for our own wipe down later. The organizer told me she called the staging people and they offered no help.
We wiped up the water and it still continued to drip so we left a pile of towels right where the drip was. It stopped after a while.
The drummer set up to one side of the puddle.
In preparation of the rain, we placed our trash bags on the tops - subs were under the stage, lights were under the canopy and all electrical connections were elevated and under cover. Towels and tarps ready to go so we were set - or so we thought.
Rain ( light rain) happened on and off and we thought we were doing great at first.
Band went on stage and the rain started...no worries. Then some more announcements.
Band was waiting to go back on and we were standing at the back of the stage whilst a lady was speaking from the podium.
Then it started.... one leak in the roof directly over a 6 way that I didn't notice till too late and out it went (tripped). One side down - fortunately it was only feeding the one light stack and guitarists amp. The announcer just kept speaking - oblivious to what was going on...lights stayed on the other side. I pulled the extension and switched it out for a dry one placed in a different position on stage  - up and working again - mopping as we go.
Then Chris shouted from the other ride of the stage, leak right above my mixer and the drummers laptop....pulled table forward, wiped best I could and threw tarp over the top. There was an area just behind the subs that was pouring water - must have been a low spot - we stuck a huge trash can underneath it to catch the water.
At this point it was the time of the evening where survivors were invited up on stage - the organizers were oblivious to the fact that we were jumping around trying to salvage the show.
We started moving through the people on stage who had walked water everywhere so now the floor and all the cables on it were soaked up there -  and it seemed the roof was leaking all over . What was weird was that this wasn't what I would call heavy rain and my cheap canopies would have fared better.

The doppler showed the rain was to stop anytime and I was so close to calling it - I felt bad though because this was such a good cause, we wanted to do our very best for them but we couldn't keep bailing like this.
I told the organizers I was going to call it but as I spoke, the rain stopped and I figured we could contain things.

After everyone left the stage and some recorded music was played, the band went on and finished the night a little early.

The tear down was a very wet one and when we got home last night we pulled everything out of the trailer...we have pieces of equipment and covers and case everywhere - my garage, my living room and I still haven't attacked the cable box yet - threw everything in wet.
We both ache today - it was the third show in a row this weekend - left home yesterday at 11.15am and got home at 11.15 last night - still wet when we walked through the door. Then another 40 minutes to unpack the trailer and lay everything out to dry. We both hurt today and are talking about refusing anymore outdoor shows other than those booled- we have rotten luck with weather.
Finished my coffee and about to attempt to coil up my HUGE pile of now dry cables.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »

Why is it that stage roofs (or is it rooves?) so often function as collectors/funnels/downspouts equally well as their intended purpose?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Fruits

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »

Why is it that stage roofs (or is it rooves?) so often function as collectors/funnels/downspouts equally well as their intended purpose?
Thank you Mr. Rees for this fresh can of worms.  ???  ;D
Lets look at the evidence, the plural of hoof, hooves.  The plural of beef, beeves.  I say go with rooves.  Yep, it's archaic, but then so am I. 
Debbie, wow, sorry you had such a stressful and long day. On a positive note, think about your enhanced skill set, you can add gennie wrangler to your resume. (What a great name, you could save that for the nitwits who try to chat you up while working by asking "Hey darlin' what's your name" by giving them that name.)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »

Debbie... Any idea what brand roof it was? Do you have any say as to future roof/staging?  Your description of the setup with "back and side sections", almost makes it sound like a hydraulic stage, such as an Apex or Stageline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:21 PM »

Debbie... Any idea what brand roof it was? Do you have any say as to future roof/staging?  Your description of the setup with "back and side sections", almost makes it sound like a hydraulic stage, such as an Apex or Stageline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

All I know is the name if the company who provided the stage - don't want to divulge the name here. Unsure of stage details but here is a picture....

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »

Looks like an SL100.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 07:53:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.