ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator OK for digital equipment?  (Read 17362 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Generator OK for digital equipment?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »

Debbie, this is a "real" generator.  It should be fine if 100 amps of power will work for your rig (and from what I see, I don't know why it shouldn't).  Just use the usual caution to make certain the spider box outlets are at the voltages they should be.  Usually even if it is a three phase generator with multiple voltage settings, the spider boxes run off a separate part of the alternator and are 120/240 V from a 50A twist lock.

Yep....I dont own enough equipment to overload this bad boy. I am so relieved they got a suitable generator, I suppose I am so used to everyone cutting corners... I just freaked a bit- thats all.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 08:07:42 PM »

Just make sure earth isn't floating and neutral is connected, and you have liitle lighting, or enough lighting. This genny probably will make less noise than the little ones. It is a liitlebit overdimensioned ... Another thing: i hope they don't use it for refrigerators or big coffemachines etc. It should only be used for stage.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 09:38:16 PM »

You want to use my distro?
You know, we giggle about this, but ASSuming you don't draw more than 15A through it, it would work. Especially if you wired one leg to, say, each pair of two receptacles.

[Obligatory disclaimer: DON'T REALLY DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO USE IT. IT WILL NOT PASS AN INSPECTION, IS AGAINST CODE, AND COULD START A FIRE.]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »

Just make sure earth isn't floating and neutral is connected, and you have liitle lighting, or enough lighting. This genny probably will make less noise than the little ones. It is a liitlebit overdimensioned ... Another thing: i hope they don't use it for refrigerators or big coffemachines etc. It should only be used for stage.

Ah, those pesky details....

Here's a run-down for Debbie and anyone else who's never had to check:

A) While the genset is not running:

1)  Using your Ohm meter, check resistance between any Earthing (ground) connection and the frame of the trailer.  It should be 0 Ohms or so.

2)  Using your Ohm meter, next check resistance between any Earthing connection and any Neutral connection.  It should be 0 Ohms.  This test tells you if the *generator* part of the assembly is bonded.  If so, all is good.  Connect the Earthing rod or electrode array to the "grounding" terminal in the lug bay if the rental shop has not done so already.  If there are more than a couple of Ohms between Earthing and Neutral (like it's OPEN), use a short (12" is plenty) piece of wire as a jumper between the Earthing and Neutral lugs in the lug bay.  Repeat measurement to verify bonding.

3)  Find the Voltage selection switch (usually inside the engine compartment) and make sure it's on either 120/240V single phase or 120/208V 3 phase.  Many gensets have a 480V selection and we *really don't want that*.  Do not change this while the engine is running.  While Don Williams indicates that the 50 Amp connections are fed separately, my experience is contrary.  It's a good thing for you peace of mind, anyway.  Close all doors & access panels.

4)  Gentlemen (and dude-ette), start your engine if there is not a technician or rental guy to do so.  Let the engine come to speed for a minute or 2, while doing so look to see if there is a switch for "Eco-Mode" or "Idle/full speed".  After that bit of warm up, switch to the full speed mode.

B)  Now that we're running:

1)  It's time to check the voltage, so turn on the breaker(s) and use Mr. Voltmeter to measure Hot/Neutral, Hot/Ground (repeat these for each hot leg), Neutral/Ground.  The genset may have switchable voltmeters but they aren't very accurate... You can adjust output voltage (usually a screwdriver adjustment on the control panel, but the newer microprocessor controlled gennies may have up/down buttons or other contrivances) if you find it too high or too low.  If you are unable to adjust to a nominal 120V, see A(3) and A(4) above.

(a)  You should find nominal 120V between each hot leg and neutral, each hot leg and ground, and ZERO Volts between neutral and ground.  If you find more than a couple millivolts there is a problem somewhere, as you have no attached loads at this point, right?  Hmmmm? ;)  At any rate, you should see no voltage between these when metered right at the generator set.

2)  Turn off any circuit breakers you had on for testing, connect the feeder cable to the spider box and the other end of the feeder to the connector on the genset.  Switch the breaker back on and the repeat the voltage test on all the outlets on the spider box.  You may see a small bit of voltage between neutral and ground, typically 10mV - 50mV.  A little more doesn't indicate danger, but lack of maintenance...  You're ready to start plugging in!

The most likely problem you will have is that many/most rental shops do not send out an Earthing electrode or ground rod or the wire to connect it.  When discussing generators with clients who are arranging for the rental & delivery remind them you need those items for the "safety of the performers and to meet Electrical Code."  At one point we carried our own ground rods and wire until enough event rentals were inspected by the AHJ and customers were calling the 24/7 service phone number and the rental shops started provided them upon request.

Now the disclaimer:  The preceding description assumes the reader has sufficient knowledge, experience and education in electricity and other relevant topics to determine if the suggested tests, sequencing of tests and connections, etc is suitable to the circumstances and equipment present.  Reader assumes all personal and property risks and acknowledges that the prededing description is for illustration purposes only.  It is not meant to be a tutorial or to replace professional personnel.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »

Whisperwatt 45KvA
50A cable and spider box.

I am used to using inverter generators and want to make sure I am not getting dirty power to my equipment. 

Um... 45KvA compared to your 6 or 7 KvA
You're a smart cookie, and the math is fairly easy.....
Your only problem will be "Can I put enough load on this thing to make it notice i am here?"

Sit back and relax. Power wise, it's an easy, quiet day.
-They will fill the fuel, right ?
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »

Your only problem will be "Can I put enough load on this thing to make it notice i am here?"

MQ is even solving that issue nowadays:

http://www.mqpower.com/powerbalance.html

Never used one with it yet but our local oilfield rental places have them equipped due to the really cold conditions they get used in.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »

Um... 45KvA compared to your 6 or 7 KvA
You're a smart cookie, and the math is fairly easy.....

Sit back and relax. Power wise, it's an easy, quiet day.
-They will fill the fuel, right ?
Chris.

Thanks Chris.....to be honest when I read the rating I thought I was calculating incorrectly because I told them what I would need and this is so huge. The only other thing that will be using the genny is a shotgun light - nothing else!

I hope they have the fuel taken care of. I'll check when I get there so if we need gas,  by the time I am set up, someone will have taken care of it - hopefully!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 12:04:07 PM »

Diesel...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »

Diesel...

Yes - diesel - sorry. It's all gas to me  :(

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »

I'm not sure what to look for and I don't really have the equipment to test for all these things listed.
I always take my 3 prong tester and my non contact voltage tester with me to shows with shore power and I know what to do with my own generators but not sure if they will be any good to me on saturday.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 02:12:41 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.