ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator OK for digital equipment?  (Read 17332 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Generator OK for digital equipment?
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »

We are running sound at a charity event on saturday and the organizer asked me what generator she should get. I told her it must be inverter and to check out EU6500 or EU7000 or similar.
I just got a message from her indicating it will be this one.

Whisperwatt 45KvA
50A cable and spider box.

I am used to using inverter generators and want to make sure I am not getting dirty power to my equipment. 

I'll be using 1x SRX828sp, 2 x SRX818sp, 2x SRX815, 2x SRX812 (side areas), 4 PRX712's, QU mixer, D- snake.
Band will have backline - guitar amp, bass amp, also keys.
Laptop, iPod and small accessories.

OOPS - sorry PLUS 16 LED PAR Cans.- 8 x 120w and 8 x 70w
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:26:13 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Generator OK for digital equipment?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »

We are running sound at a charity event on saturday and the organizer asked me what generator she should get. I told her it must be inverter and to check out EU6500 or EU7000 or similar.
I just got a message from her indicating it will be this one.

Whisperwatt 45KvA
50A cable and spider box.

I am used to using inverter generators and want to make sure I am not getting dirty power to my equipment. 

I'll be using 1x SRX828sp, 2 x SRX818sp, 2x SRX815, 2x SRX812 (side areas), 4 PRX712's, QU mixer, D- snake.
Band will have backline - guitar amp, bass amp, also keys.
Laptop, iPod and small accessories.

OOPS - sorry PLUS 16 LED PAR Cans.- 8 x 120w and 8 x 70w

The Whisperwatt comes in a lot of flavors but in general is the type of genset I call a "real generator" when I post about portable power.

It's a real sine wave output with good voltage regulation.  You should be fine.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »

The Whisperwatt comes in a lot of flavors but in general is the type of genset I call a "real generator" when I post about portable power.

Phew - thanks Tim.

Will it be man enough to run everything?... We won't need crazy levels- just parking lot -but fills needed for the sides so I will have to use 4 tops , I'd normally use 2 for a small outdoor show. Also I might not need all the lighting but just in case.
I see the specs show 36KW.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »

Phew - thanks Tim.

Will it be man enough to run everything?... We won't need crazy levels- just parking lot -but fills needed for the sides so I will have to use 4 tops , I'd normally use 2 for a small outdoor show. Also I might not need all the lighting but just in case.
36KW is equal to 15 20A circuits. 

Could you run your gear off of that?  I imagine so, with PLENTY of outlets left over.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »

Phew - thanks Tim.

Chances are that generator has a 100Ampere main breaker.  You'll not be overloading it.  In fact, you might want to throw in some incandescent lights ( a couple of 1000W flood lights or PAR cans) to provide additional load to stabilize the engine/voltage regulation.  If your dynamic load makes the genset speed up, you'll get more voltage swing as it revs up and down; providing additional loading will help with that.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »

Totally agreed.

I have run many shows off of a Whisperwatt, and they just sit there and "purr".

I've never had a problem with noise or dropouts.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »

Totally agreed.

I have run many shows off of a Whisperwatt, and they just sit there and "purr".

I've never had a problem with noise or dropouts.

+1
I love those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »

36KW is equal to 15 20A circuits. 

Could you run your gear off of that?  I imagine so, with PLENTY of outlets left over.

Ha ha.... I figured it was enough but didn't want to miss any decimal points.....

Dave Guilford

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »

Dude that whisper watt will make those little hondas look like a load of bananas.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »

Dude that whisper watt will make those little hondas look like a load of bananas.

::)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.