Poll

SRX725 with Crown XTI-6000 or SRX835p

SRX725 with Crown XTI-6000
- 9 (52.9%)
SRX835P
- 8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx 725 dilemma  (Read 12390 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Srx 725 dilemma
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »

There was a discussion on failure rates related to lifespan in the lab.

Most failures occur in infancy and then at EOL. You are assuming that a 10 year old box hasn't become obsolete, on that note if you expect to own a box for 10+ years maybe you need to look at what manufacturer you choose a lot more closely.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »

It's been many years and amplifiers have better protection for themselves and their loads now, but we where working a club show where the lighting crew, without our or the clubs permission or knowledge, illegally tapped in to the disconnect switch reserved for our sound system.  Yep, it blew up and every amp died a horrible death.  They all when DC in the process and all 30 drivers in the quad amped system died with them.  $800 show, $3,500 worth of damage!  I won a judgement against the light company but could never collect, and of course I was never hired by that club again!  They didn't care whose fault it was.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »

Quote from: TJ
I would also argue that a well-designed self-powered speaker may have a longer life than a passive speaker in that self-powered speakers are harder to kill by misuse.
I would "argue" that even today, with electronics more reliable than ever, amps fail more often than loudspeakers.
That's not my point.  My point is that self-powered speakers are better protected from "less sophisticated users" who for whatever reason may not be good at determining when enough was enough, and instead keep turning it up when their ears, followed by their nose, and in rare cases their eyes give them clues that they should have stopped.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »

It's been many years and amplifiers have better protection for themselves and their loads now, but we where working a club show where the lighting crew, without our or the clubs permission or knowledge, illegally tapped in to the disconnect switch reserved for our sound system.  Yep, it blew up and every amp died a horrible death.  They all when DC in the process and all 30 drivers in the quad amped system died with them.  $800 show, $3,500 worth of damage!  I won a judgement against the light company but could never collect, and of course I was never hired by that club again!  They didn't care whose fault it was.

How could lighting, tapping a circuit, cause your amps to send DC concurrently to every driver?   The HF drivers didn't even have a DC blocking CAP in line?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »

How could lighting, tapping a circuit, cause your amps to send DC concurrently to every driver?   The HF drivers didn't even have a DC blocking CAP in line?

Actually, they did have blocking caps, but the amps made a very loud oscillation and/or noise as they died.  Back on the bench after the event they all had lots of shorted output transistors.  I think the light crew burned up or removed the neutral from the circuit, but I'm not exactly certain.  I knew a lot less about it in the eighties when this happened.  The disconnect had a lot of burn marks and the screwdriver used by the lighting crew had large amounts of metal missing.  We had been given a 50A "range" outlet that metered correctly to power our distro and rig.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

There was a discussion on failure rates related to lifespan in the lab.

Most failures occur in infancy and then at EOL. You are assuming that a 10 year old box hasn't become obsolete, on that note if you expect to own a box for 10+ years maybe you need to look at what manufacturer you choose a lot more closely.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Just this weekend I had a show with my Yorkville EF500p tops and Ls801pb subs. Sunday I was cleaning the storage room and found the paperwork on the tops. They were 10 years old this past January.  Thinking of the countless gigs I've had with those tops and knowing that another set of them I had that were older and sold are still going strong I feel pretty good about their purchase. 
I hope the new version EF15p, I believe they are called, last this long as well.

Douglas R. Allen

joseph baio

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

Ok i am at a crossroads with my jbl srx 725 speakers. I currently am running two of them on a bridged nu4-6000 inuke amp. Should i either buy the crown xti-6000 or just replace all with the new JBL srx-835p?  I want to have a total of 4 speakers for coverage.  Or stay with the inuke and be happy. I love the 4 inch diaphragm on the 725. It just sounds awesome and i am not sure if the newer JBL will sound the same. Just wanted to hear input from those of you that have used this equipment. Thanks!
Go with crown itech 6000 or 9000 or qsc pld 4.5. you need 1600 watts @8 ohms to any of the srx700 cabinets pound and sound good with proper dsp settings.       joey

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:42 AM »

I would "argue" that even today, with electronics more reliable than ever, amps fail more often than loudspeakers.
That's not my point.  My point is that self-powered speakers are better protected from "less sophisticated users" who for whatever reason may not be good at determining when enough was enough, and instead keep turning it up when their ears, followed by their nose, and in rare cases their eyes give them clues that they should have stopped.

On the flip side of that argument, with the moderately sophisticated users that think you can do whatever you want with powered speakers and drive them into oblivion and they will be fine...

It's just my experience that I've seen more powered speakers go down than passive speakers, and dealing with repairs is a huge hassle in comparison.  The only time I've seen passive speakers go bad is by abuse.  Powered cabinets just go on strike sometimes.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 12:15:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.