Poll

SRX725 with Crown XTI-6000 or SRX835p

SRX725 with Crown XTI-6000
- 9 (52.9%)
SRX835P
- 8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx 725 dilemma  (Read 12388 times)

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Srx 725 dilemma
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »

I went through the same head banging process a bit more than a year ago in determining whether to replace my QSC PL3-powered S700 rig and move up to the S800P boxes.  Even today, what I use my gear for and how often it's out doesn't justify a change, both financially and physically (as a one-man operator) given I also own P600 & P800 rigs which both go out more often than the S700. 

As others have said, will your clients pay you more to cover the new investment?  While you may notice a slight improvement in sound, the customers certainly won't.  You'd have to take a major leap to a cost as a multiple of the S800 level in order for clients to begin to notice.  And at that stage (pun intended), you should be targeting a completely different clientele.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »

I went from the SRX 722s which have the same HF drivers as your 725s.  Properly powered, they can definitely get louder than my 835s.  BUT, the 835s have a smoother, more "high fidelity" type sound and with the 60 degree horns they really work well with two per side.  I believe your 725s have 90 degree horns and are not going to sound as good with two per side, if that's what you are planning to do.  And, the processing and convenience of powered speakers does make life easier.  I made the switch because my four 722's were stolen.  If that had not happened I would probably have just stayed with them.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »

The SRX725s are 75° by 50°.

Agreed with everyone vis-a-vis the ROI of making this change. HOWEVER... are you a business, or a hobbyist? If the former, then "is it worth the upgrade, i.e. can I make this money back?" is the question. If the latter, then... well, "what sounds better?"

If you want something scaleable (with the least expense) then another pair of used 725s along with an amp is the best route. Then you have boxes that will work well with each other for a larger system, or split easily for two smaller rigs. Using the splay angles on the boxes work great for the larger setup.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tracy Stewart

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »

I think I have made a decision.  After reading many many reviews and all of your input, I am going to pull the trigger on a set of srx-835p speakers.  I really appreciate all of the input you have given me.  I will probably keep the 725s as well powered with the inuke 6000 as it is now.  These will work for side fills for larger festivals.  I am not getting any younger and my back will thank me for less stuff to carry.  It will also lessen my teardown and setup time.  Eventually i may get a second set or a set of srx812 for side fills.  Thanks guys. 

Jain John

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »

I hope you will enjoy your new set of speakers and please let us know your experience with your new Srx 835p's. Good luck!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »

How long do you plan to keep the speakers?  10 years from now, you'll probably be able to buy a new amp to power the 725's.  If the module inside of the 835 goes, and JBL decides to stop making them, then what do you do?

Same argument for if a unit fails on you.  Do you have a spare amp module that you can stick in the 835?  If not, you're down until it gets fixed. With the 725, if your amp goes down, you can use any other appropriately sized amp until you get yours back and running.

The downside of non powered speakers is that you need to have an amp rack that takes up space. 
Brian Jojade

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »

How long do you plan to keep the speakers?  10 years from now, you'll probably be able to buy a new amp to power the 725's.  If the module inside of the 835 goes, and JBL decides to stop making them, then what do you do?

Same argument for if a unit fails on you.  Do you have a spare amp module that you can stick in the 835?  If not, you're down until it gets fixed. With the 725, if your amp goes down, you can use any other appropriately sized amp until you get yours back and running.

The downside of non powered speakers is that you need to have an amp rack that takes up space.
You could have a metal or wood shop fab up some panels to fill the amp hole and give you a couple NL4 connections; then roll your own presets.  Better yet, grab transfer functions of the amps now so you can nail the presets in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

You could have a metal or wood shop fab up some panels to fill the amp hole and give you a couple NL4 connections; then roll your own presets.  Better yet, grab transfer functions of the amps now so you can nail the presets in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, you certainly could do that. But realize that now you have a passive box with NO internal crossover network so you'll need amp channels for each driver set.  The point being though, that by putting the electronics inside the box, you've effectively decreased it's viable life without modifications.

If you're rotating gear on a regular basis, it's not that big of an issue. But for those that want to buy once and forget about it forever, it's something to take into consideration.
Brian Jojade

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »

Yep, you certainly could do that. But realize that now you have a passive box with NO internal crossover network so you'll need amp channels for each driver set.  The point being though, that by putting the electronics inside the box, you've effectively decreased it's viable life without modifications.

If you're rotating gear on a regular basis, it's not that big of an issue. But for those that want to buy once and forget about it forever, it's something to take into consideration.
The active/passive dilemma is well-covered on the forum.  What you post is correct - if you have an internal amp module die, the speaker goes down.  On the flip side with a passive setup, for redundancy every show you need to carry an extra (external) amp and an extra speaker, and depending on how your rig is setup, an external amp failure could take down a larger part of your rig. 

I would also argue that a well-designed self-powered speaker may have a longer life than a passive speaker in that self-powered speakers are harder to kill by misuse.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »

I would also argue that a well-designed self-powered speaker may have a longer life than a passive speaker in that self-powered speakers are harder to kill by misuse.
I would "argue" that even today, with electronics more reliable than ever, amps fail more often than loudspeakers.

Yes of course there are exceptions.  That is my "feeling", but I have no data to back it up.  And of course any "data" would be subject to how/where it was collected.

Are we talking about pro quality gear (speakers and amps) or MI level gear?

There are LOTS of variables on either side.  So take my opinion with a grain of salt-and a shot---------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 28 queries.