Poll

SRX725 with Crown XTI-6000 or SRX835p

SRX725 with Crown XTI-6000
- 9 (52.9%)
SRX835P
- 8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx 725 dilemma  (Read 12370 times)

Tracy Stewart

Srx 725 dilemma
« on: October 03, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »

Ok i am at a crossroads with my jbl srx 725 speakers. I currently am running two of them on a bridged nu4-6000 inuke amp. Should i either buy the crown xti-6000 or just replace all with the new JBL srx-835p?  I want to have a total of 4 speakers for coverage.  Or stay with the inuke and be happy. I love the 4 inch diaphragm on the 725. It just sounds awesome and i am not sure if the newer JBL will sound the same. Just wanted to hear input from those of you that have used this equipment. Thanks!

Jain John

Re: Srx 725 dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:09:51 PM »

I own couple of srx 835p's and srx 828sp's and couldn't be happier. Never owned 725. One of my friend switched from srx 725 to srx 835p and he is happy with the decision. But i think you need a sub because the 835p's has a single 15" woofer. I hope the other forum members can help you better than me as they are more experienced and knowledgeable.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »

Ok i am at a crossroads with my jbl srx 725 speakers. I currently am running two of them on a bridged nu4-6000 inuke amp. Should i either buy the crown xti-6000 or just replace all with the new JBL srx-835p?  I want to have a total of 4 speakers for coverage.  Or stay with the inuke and be happy. I love the 4 inch diaphragm on the 725. It just sounds awesome and i am not sure if the newer JBL will sound the same. Just wanted to hear input from those of you that have used this equipment. Thanks!
Tracy,

From a headroom standpoint, the bridged NU4 gives you 3000 watts at 4 ohms, the xti-6000 2100 watts, and the SRX-835p only 2000 watts "peak".

The SRX-835p DSP may make them arguably "sound better" than the SRX- 725, but properly equalized, not much of a difference.
Art

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

Is it a 4” voice coil or diaphragm?

The real questions for you are
1) do I want new self powered speakers?
2) do I like my current speakers but would like more of them?
3) will the new ones deploy the same as current? (Are they taller or heavier. )

Another pair of same from the used market and another amp are likely the less expensive option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »

Not to insult the Crown XTI, but the SRX 835P will be a huge improvement in audio quality over your existing system.  It is a true 3-way system with a lot of quality DSP providing a very smooth and extended sound.  It may not play louder that your current setup, but it will probably sound much better when it is played loudly.  A new amplifier will not make much of a difference is either the quality or loudness of your existing system.

The SRX835P still has a large format horn and driver.  It is a 1.5" throat horn with a 3" diaphragm.  Due to a newer design and the DSP and crossover filters used, it will have more even dispersion, and smoother and more extended highs.  15" speakers have never been good as midrange drivers.  The horn loaded 8" in the 835 is in a whole different class.   

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »

Not to insult the Crown XTI, but the SRX 835P will be a huge improvement in audio quality over your existing system.  It is a true 3-way system with a lot of quality DSP providing a very smooth and extended sound.  It may not play louder that your current setup, but it will probably sound much better when it is played loudly.  A new amplifier will not make much of a difference is either the quality or loudness of your existing system.

The SRX835P still has a large format horn and driver.  It is a 1.5" throat horn with a 3" diaphragm.  Due to a newer design and the DSP and crossover filters used, it will have more even dispersion, and smoother and more extended highs.  15" speakers have never been good as midrange drivers.  The horn loaded 8" in the 835 is in a whole different class.
+1.  The SRX725 is a rock n roll box not particularly known for finesse.  I'm not sure if the SRX835p will be louder than the SRX725 or not, but it sounds significantly better.

As Rob pointed out, whether that's the right business move for you is an entirely different matter.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »

I've used 725s for many years, probably longer than most on this forum. I also did a critical listening test, side by side, with most of the new 800 series when they came out. My intent at the time was to possibly upgrade to the 835. I never did upgrade and my 725s keep on chugging along just fine.

I'll agree that the 835 has a "smoother" sound than the 725, no doubt about it, however, the 835 does NOT sound significantly better. Perhaps this has a bit to do with my system and the fact that I run a dbx 4800 between my cabinets and the board, or maybe not, but regardless the 835 would be a step up, but only a minor step up. Before I dumped the 725s you might consider a higher quality amp and a look at your xover.

I also didn't see any mention of subs. Pick up a pair of 718s, the right xover set properly, the right amp, and you'll be amazed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »

I prefer my Itech powered SRX boxes over any of the powered SRX stuff. IMO it's hard to beat the 712/718 combo. Powerful, compact, one amp and one 20 amp circuit.

Tracy Stewart

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »

I own couple of srx 835p's and srx 828sp's and couldn't be happier. Never owned 725. One of my friend switched from srx 725 to srx 835p and he is happy with the decision. But i think you need a sub because the 835p's has a single 15" woofer. I hope the other forum members can help you better than me as they are more experienced and knowledgeable.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I have 2 srx 828 subs so low end is not an issue. Thanks for the reply

Dave Guilford

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:11:09 PM »

I like my 725 more than anything else I've heard.  I also like that they are 70* output.  I think 835 are 90* for crummy splaying.  Also the 835 don't sit as high up, and there's something about a 2x15 that moves air.  :-D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:11:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 28 queries.