ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Gym Speaker Setup - Project Completed merged  (Read 32883 times)

Robert Weaver

Re: Gym speaker setup
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 11:54:01 PM »

Show them this video:
https://youtu.be/0d0NIqoIqBg

---

And I just realized this was an older thread... hah.

Thanks for the followup.  :)

The same company that designed that rigging is designing our yoke.

Robert Weaver

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2018, 09:56:14 PM »

I've sat down and put together a system that will work.  This system will scale down to the simplest of used to VBS which is very dynamic.  Even church services if we can't use our auditorium. It will pretty much run itself for most events.  It's a push button on/off sequence and turn a knob to increase or decrease the volume.  They wanted a permanent rack mounted on the wall that is locked. Our previous portable sound system rack was tipped over and busted by the roll up door between the gym and fellowship hall.  We don't really have the room to store the equipment away.  I've configured two options.  Each system will comprise of these common components:

(2-3) Dedicated 20 Amp circuits depending on speaker setup
(1) Lockable Rack Mount Rack
(1) Furman RS-2 Sequencing Switch
(1) Sequencing System
(1) Yamaha TF Rack
(3) Audio Technica System 10 Pro Dual Receivers
(4) Handheld mics
(2) Bodypack mics

Speaker system:

(1) Crown XTi 6002 paired with a single JBL CBT 1000+E with custom protecting cage

or

(2) Turbosound IP3000 portable speakers

A couple of the reasons I picked the TF rack was password protection and automixing.  I also like the fact that you don't need a computer to configure the device.  On the speaker selection flying speakers is NOT an option.  They want speakers on or in the wall.  I've already told them that the in wall speakers they had quoted originally wasn't going to work.  I'm also looking at the possibility of integrating this system specifically the mics and mixer into our junior church setup on one end of the gym.  We are currently using an Turbosound IP1000 with the old system rack.

I have attached some images of the completed install of the gym sound system.  I will have to say that I'm very impressed with the CBT 1000 + 1000E setup.  It's very loud and very clear with impressive GBF.  Currently I have the speaker running Point on the top and broad on the lower portion.  I also selected the speech mode which boost the 1K-4K internally in the speaker.  I think it actually helps control the low end with more clear vocals.     

Robert Weaver

Re: Mounting JBL CBT 1000 in gymnasium
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2018, 10:05:52 PM »

Robert I installed (2) JBL CBT 200la's and subs on the wall of a large gymnasium.  The wall was concrete so I had no issues with structural integrity and also installed a safety cable.  However, I did have custom cages made for them because the speaker grills on the CBT's will not come out on the winning side of a basketball or volleyball coming into contact with it.  The grills for all speakers shown was something like $3k but will protect the speakers for many years to come.

Check pics here
http://scotthibbardaudio.com/projectportfolio/scotchplainsfanwoodhighschoolgym.html

ScottH

This is what we came up with from Polar Focus.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Gym speaker setup - Project Completed
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2018, 06:46:09 AM »

Looks good!
However... I see wireless anrennas in a steel box.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Robert Weaver

Re: Gym speaker setup - Project Completed
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »

Looks good!
However... I see wireless anrennas in a steel box.

Yes. However for most events the rack will be open. Even when the rack is closed the mic use will be next to the rack. I could move those modules outside the box if needed.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:26 PM »

I have attached some images of the completed install of the gym sound system.  I will have to say that I'm very impressed with the CBT 1000 + 1000E setup.  It's very loud and very clear with impressive GBF.  Currently I have the speaker running Point on the top and broad on the lower portion.  I also selected the speech mode which boost the 1K-4K internally in the speaker.  I think it actually helps control the low end with more clear vocals.     

Why not just move the antennas outside the rack?

Is that top cable power?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »

This is what we came up with from Polar Focus.

I'm not a rigger or an engineer, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. It's somewhat random thoughts, and genuine good engineering advice will be based on actual load calculations.

I don't like the way the chains are holding that up. I can't see detail well, but it doesn't look like welded chain. The links are not designed for side loading, which is what happens when you drape them over the purlin that way. Side loaded, it can cause the link to open. Secondly, it doesn't look like chain that's rated "for overhead lifting." Normally chain is rated with a safety factor of around 2:1 (I think) -- where the working load is half the breaking strength. For overhead lifting, you need about a 10:1 safety ratio: the working load rating is 1/10 the breaking strength.

I would expect to see a properly engineered support use welded chain rated for overhead lifting, cables, or steel rods. Any of these support materials would be longitudinally loaded; no side forces. The attachment to the purlin would be by means of a proper purlin clamp or holes drilled according to the engineer's specifications. Mounting eyes would be forged, closed eyes with specific ratings for side loading.

Properly rigging the speaker would be easy and not terribly expensive. The most expensive part of the process would be getting good design from a structural engineer or certified rigger.

I wasn't there. I don't know everything you do. It's just that, based on the pictures, it looks a little suspect.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »

Is that top cable power?

To pick a nit... with the power cable fastened to the wall like that, would it be considered "permanently installed wiring"? And, since SO cord isn't listed for permanent install, is there a violation here?

(Not that it should be a problem, mind you, but could an inspector have something to say about it?)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »

To pick a nit... with the power cable fastened to the wall like that, would it be considered "permanently installed wiring"? And, since SO cord isn't listed for permanent install, is there a violation here?

(Not that it should be a problem, mind you, but could an inspector have something to say about it?)

Yes, it's permanent and yes it is a safety problem.  Needs to be in EMT (thin wall non threaded conduit), all the way.  Would have to see the whole run to comment on the most dangerous parts.  Those metal conduit straps holding it in place is a good place to start complaining.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:36:39 PM by Scott Holtzman »

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »

I'm not a rigger or an engineer, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. It's somewhat random thoughts, and genuine good engineering advice will be based on actual load calculations.

I don't like the way the chains are holding that up. I can't see detail well, but it doesn't look like welded chain. The links are not designed for side loading, which is what happens when you drape them over the purlin that way. Side loaded, it can cause the link to open. Secondly, it doesn't look like chain that's rated "for overhead lifting." Normally chain is rated with a safety factor of around 2:1 (I think) -- where the working load is half the breaking strength. For overhead lifting, you need about a 10:1 safety ratio: the working load rating is 1/10 the breaking strength.

I would expect to see a properly engineered support use welded chain rated for overhead lifting, cables, or steel rods. Any of these support materials would be longitudinally loaded; no side forces. The attachment to the purlin would be by means of a proper purlin clamp or holes drilled according to the engineer's specifications. Mounting eyes would be forged, closed eyes with specific ratings for side loading.

Properly rigging the speaker would be easy and not terribly expensive. The most expensive part of the process would be getting good design from a structural engineer or certified rigger.

I wasn't there. I don't know everything you do. It's just that, based on the pictures, it looks a little suspect.

I would have put the speaker wire in conduit also.  Agree the chains are not acceptable.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.