ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Gym Speaker Setup - Project Completed merged  (Read 32483 times)

Robert Weaver

Gym Speaker Setup - Project Completed merged
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »

We are looking for new speakers for our gym. The only option that was given was to mount speakercraft cinema one profile aim speakers.  There will be 6 of these in three pairs.  Each pair I believe will be a stereo configuration. The gym is 100’x75’x28’. The whole goal in this was to get better speech reinforcement.  The company that quoted this system specializes in Home theatres. These speakers will be place behind the stage when we do VBS. We use 5-6 mics at any one time during VBS.  I personally think this system will be a disaster and isn’t going to work.  Hanging speakers or speakers on a stand is not an option.  I’ve already told them this is going to be a feedback nightmare and trying to overcome 500 screaming kids isn’t going to happen.  And the cost for this system is a little over $7K! 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:18:25 PM by Robert Weaver »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Gym speaker setup
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »

We are looking for new speakers for our gym. The only option that was given was to mount speakercraft cinema one profile aim speakers.  There will be 6 of these in three pairs.  Each pair I believe will be a stereo configuration. The gym is 100’x75’x28’. The whole goal in this was to get better speech reinforcement.  The company that quoted this system specializes in Home theatres. These speakers will be place behind the stage when we do VBS. We use 5-6 mics at any one time during VBS.  I personally think this system will be a disaster and isn’t going to work.  Hanging speakers or speakers on a stand is not an option.  I’ve already told them this is going to be a feedback nightmare and trying to overcome 500 screaming kids isn’t going to happen.  And the cost for this system is a little over $7K!

Robert,
Why is this your only option?

Why is hanging speakers not an option?

While you need to run from this proposed solution, $7k for a typical gym install is super cheap.  I would start your budget at roughly double that for quality components.   Can you tell us a little more about your setups though, i.e. Seating locations, stage locations, and other uses besides VBS, such as basketball or other assemblies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Robert Weaver

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:59:18 PM »

Robert,
Why is this your only option?

Why is hanging speakers not an option?

While you need to run from this proposed solution, $7k for a typical gym install is super cheap.  I would start your budget at roughly double that for quality components.   Can you tell us a little more about your setups though, i.e. Seating locations, stage locations, and other uses besides VBS, such as basketball or other assemblies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

They are afraid of speakers falling from being hit by balls. I was told that in wall speakers are the only option that is acceptable.  For VBS it’s setup in a fan shape to cover the whole basketball court. VBS is the main even in the gym.  We do junior church there, but it’s only on one end inside the 3 point line.   The stage is 24x16. It’s set off the wall about 4’.  One of the options I have provided was mounting a Renkus Heinz Iconyx on the back wall.  I was told that in wall was the only option and that wasn’t going to go.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:04:02 PM »

There will be 6 of these in three pairs.  Each pair I believe will be a stereo configuration. The gym is 100’x75’x28’. The whole goal in this was to get better speech reinforcement.  The company that quoted this system specializes in Home theatres. These speakers will be place behind the stage when we do VBS. We use 5-6 mics at any one time during VBS. 
I would run as fast as I can-for several reasons.

What is the layout of the 3 sets of speakers vs the audience?

The idea of 3 "stereo" setups is completely wrong

Placing the speakers behind the stage is WRONG-ESPECIALLY with kids and mics.

7K is really to low when you consider the number of speakers, installation, alignment etc.

You are correct, this is not going to work and will be pretty much a waste of time and money.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:32:06 PM »

They are afraid of speakers falling from being hit by balls. I was told that in wall speakers are the only option that is acceptable.  For VBS it’s setup in a fan shape to cover the whole basketball court. VBS is the main even in the gym.  We do junior church there, but it’s only on one end inside the 3 point line.   The stage is 24x16. It’s set off the wall about 4’.  One of the options I have provided was mounting a Renkus Heinz Iconyx on the back wall.  I was told that in wall was the only option and that wasn’t going to go.

Can I take a guess at something.  The guy proposing these "speakercraft" speakers....is he on whatever board is calling the shots?  or is it his friend? Here is a good article which seems applicable to your situation...http://audiosystemsgroup.com/3Times.pdf

If a speaker falls from getting hit by a ball, your installer has serious problems.  Show your people this video....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d0NIqoIqBg

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:46:53 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:05:55 AM »

22 years ago we replaced in-wall speakers in a high school gym with one Soundsphere Q-12 (or whatever the comparable model was back then.  Dead center in the gym.  Unbelievable difference and voice intelligibility was outstanding.

My point is that simplicity is sometimes the best answer.

Robert Weaver

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 02:03:48 AM »

Can I take a guess at something.  The guy proposing these "speakercraft" speakers....is he on whatever board is calling the shots?  or is it his friend? Here is a good article which seems applicable to your situation...http://audiosystemsgroup.com/3Times.pdf

If a speaker falls from getting hit by a ball, your installer has serious problems.  Show your people this video....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d0NIqoIqBg

The person is not affiliated in any way.  It was the first person they could get a hold of in the area.  I’ve been running the sound at my church for the last 13 years. In that time I’ve had to make upgrades to our existing auditorium system.  I do all of the support for anything audio visual. When it breaks or squeals they come to me. I love what I do, but if they go through with this I’m going to make it clear that I’m not attempting to fix any of it other than replacement.  What is going to happen is it’s not going to work correctly during VBS. They will then call the people who installed it. They will come out and say everything works fine.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:03:42 PM »

Robert, are you a volunteer?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

David Mau

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »

Robert,

Look into the following:
EV ZX1-90 $329 (90x50 Degrees coverage, single 8", 200w continuous/800w peak)
QSC E10 $379 each (85 Degrees coverage,  Single 10", 300W continuous/1200W peak)
Yamaha C112VA $419 (90x40 Degrees coverage, Single 12", 350W continuous/750w peak)
QSC S282H in White or Black $830 each (90x60 Degrees coverage, Dual 8", 450W continuous/900W peak)

We've used all quite effectively in Gym settings and as they are all passive, a $300-400 Crown amp can power 2, 3, or 4 easily. They all have quite rugged designs and are easy to hang with Eye bolts, chain, etc.

Y'all need to get a different quote stat!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »

Robert,

Look into the following:
EV ZX1-90 $329 (90x50 Degrees coverage, single 8", 200w continuous/800w peak)
QSC E10 $379 each (85 Degrees coverage,  Single 10", 300W continuous/1200W peak)
Yamaha C112VA $419 (90x40 Degrees coverage, Single 12", 350W continuous/750w peak)
QSC S282H in White or Black $830 each (90x60 Degrees coverage, Dual 8", 450W continuous/900W peak)

We've used all quite effectively in Gym settings and as they are all passive, a $300-400 Crown amp can power 2, 3, or 4 easily. They all have quite rugged designs and are easy to hang with Eye bolts, chain, etc.

Y'all need to get a different quote stat!

Y'all need to git real.  This is generally poor advice and the "easy to hang" part is extremely ill-advised.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:53:19 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.