ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking expert for consultation  (Read 2758 times)

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
Re: Seeking expert for consultation
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 04:06:22 pm »

When I worked in nyc dance clubs, the bigger ones all had metal detectors.  The very, very large (hundreds of thousands of visitors) public events I'Ve been to in Berlin have had police stationed around and likely have beefier street entrance protections since the truck drive through the xmas market last year.

Not to get political, but there is an enormous elephant in the room and I doubt there will be a safe solution found with event lighting.  I mean, there are rfid tags which could help auto-aim the lights at a particular target, but my guess is that the shooter won't be wearing the right one. Perhaps everyone could be told at the door to put their fingers in their ears if a certain sound happens so the shooter won't know what happens next, but I have feeling that they will be too inebriated to follow along and the shooter will either be deaf or wearing hearing protection after the first few rounds are fired so as not to be affected by a sonic canon or something.

Ryan Welsh

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 04:29:11 pm »

The RFID tag is a neat technology, I wasn't aware of it.  But yes, there is no way that warning everyone to cover their ears is a suitable option, however if there is a mass casualty event, I'll bet people would rather deafness than death.  Still, not viable. 

How easy is it to kill all the lights at an event?  It struck me when I saw the sniper-view of the event that the lighting only served to illuminate the crowds, giving him the ability to target people that were taking cover.  Again, it would hinder people's evacuation to kill all the lights, but night vision would kick in eventually while the shooters vision would never improve.  Just spitballing here again.

This guy unfortunately overcame perimeter security, and I would nearly guarantee there were metal detectors at the entrance to that event. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 05:02:42 pm »

Some things cannot be insured for, and a sniper 400 yards outside the security perimeter might be one of them.

I've been following active shooter situations that could relate to our industry for several years and I've yet to identify specific means of prevention or detection that would be acceptable to our industry or many others (hospitality, gaming, sporting events).  We put up with the TSA theatrics when traveling by commercial aviation because we have no options, but folks DO have an option to attend or not attend a concert, fair, game or event.  If security becomes too intrusive or inconvenient a significant number will stop attending, saying "hell, I can watch that on pay per view".

The Las Vegas attack was a perfect storm - a dedicated bad guy who spent lots of time planning and pulling off his carnage, in a venue that provided everything he needed - vantage point, access, lack of inquisitive security or house staff, and laws that favor the manner of killing he used.

I'm still thinking in terms of prevention, but what to do when something like this happens depends greatly on the specifics of the event and the nature of the attack, remembering that most members of the public have terrible situational awareness; watch the PD bodycam videos and hear festival goers argue with the cop that it's fireworks and part of the show... one of them basically to a cop to fuck off.  How do you protect people who do not perceive the threat?

You have multiple things to look at here:  evacuation or sheltering the public, detecting the source of fire, intervention of the shooter, etc.  You might want to take a look what little the Presidential Protection Detail of the Secret Service will say about site evaluations and response to immediate threat.  Some of the general principles are sure to apply.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 05:02:42 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.