ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings! Please review my new wireless, battery powered PA under consideration  (Read 12267 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

I have both the pga31 and a sm35. The sm35 is lightyears better than the pga31 and is only about double the price...

I agree the difference is dramatic. The PGA is only good for talking. The SM35  is like the headset version of an SM58.
The mic itself is $60 more but it looks like it can only be purchased with the BLX rack version which makes the system price $150 more than the one you linked to.
Check with Mike Pyle on this forum - he will take care of you.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

My project is unusual. The name of the band is "The Low Talkers", and the concept is to be the most quiet, unobtrusive, inconspicuous band ever. To start the band is just me, I would play sitting right next to the PA so wireless distance is at a minimum. The sound is going to be low fidelity and almost comically quiet.

If you need quiet, then you're going to have to spend even MORE money to make it happen.  Cheap gear tends to be extremely noisy.  If you're looking for comically quiet, and the PA makes more noise than the music, is that going to be what you want?

Cheap wireless should be outlawed, in my opinion.  Get a wired mic instead.  Cheap wireless will sound like absolute shit, and if there are RF drop outs, you'll likely be presented with nice harsh noise, which will be really distracting from this project you are trying to create.

If you're trying to be comically quiet, why are you getting a PA at all?  Just do the show completely acoustic.  If you need amplification, intentionally buying crap to obtain a low fidelity sound is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of.

Brian Jojade

David Allred

"The Low Talkers" don't need a PA at all to accomplish not being heard.  Actually a win-win.  You win and the audience wins.

Don Trujillo

AKG Perception Wireless Sports Set Band A:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/AKG/Perception-Wireless-Sports-Set-Band-A-1285103302039.gc?pfm=item_page.rrt1|ClickCP

$50 off! Just $199 plus free shipping....

Don Trujillo

If you're trying to be comically quiet, why are you getting a PA at all?
The reason I need a PA is because I will be whisper-singing. Without the PA no one will be able to hear anything. Same thing with the guitar: I will be doing a lot of soft thumb-strumming that no one would hear without a PA.
Cheers,
DT

Don Trujillo

The PGA is only good for talking.
That might be OK. Remember I am basically trying to arrange my whole vocal performance into "talking range". Since I won't be singing anything in a higher range, maybe it won't be important.

Now I can immediately see that these crappier mics couldn't be used if I got louder gigs, but that's OK too. I'll just use my other equipment for louder gigs: mic, mic stand, cord.

Cheers,
DT

Don Trujillo

One thing to consider if you’re going to talk/sing with a low voice is that hiss/noise from your PA and wireless may become an annoying factor. Generally cheap gear tend to have more self noise than more expensive gear.
Big consideration! I definitely do not want hissing, crackling, popping or drop-outs on the wireless mic. That's probably my biggest concern besides cost.
Cheers,
DT

Don Trujillo

The turning point came with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYsLJLiHrkI

I was able to hear the sound of a bad mic. Well, that's the end of that idea!

I realized (like everybody has been saying): Forget about wireless, forget about battery powered, just focus on good sound quality and reliability.

So this is my new focus: The Fishman Loudbox Artist:

https://www.guitarfella.com/best-guitar-amplifier/acoustic/

It is rated highly for a guitar/vocal combo amp. I've already played one.

So I still want to do wireless/cordless/battery-powered, but that has to wait until I can afford a $4,000.00 investment!

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm days away from making a purchase, and I'll update when I pull the trigger.

Cheers,
DT

Don Trujillo

I have purchased the Fishman Loudbox Artist.

20% off off from Guitar Center. Total $501.00.

BTW, I have also purchased an authenticate "puffy shirt" (70 bucks).

Cheers,
DT

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

The reason I need a PA is because I will be whisper-singing. Without the PA no one will be able to hear anything. Same thing with the guitar: I will be doing a lot of soft thumb-strumming that no one would hear without a PA.
Cheers,
DT

"The Audience-Whisperer".  Very clever way to train them... if only. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Greetings! Please review my new wireless, battery powered PA under consideration
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.