ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ten of the Greatest PA Amps Ever"  (Read 32627 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: "Ten of the Greatest PA Amps Ever"
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »

Slightly off topic is the destructive combination of the Soundcraftsman graphic EQ and the DC300. The Crown would cook speakers if the EQ turned on after the amp..or the cord kicked out then replugged.
The DC300 was notorious for eating speakers from steady state DC voltage****, not turn-on/off transients. While customers hated loud transients and worried about their speakers, actual speaker failures from power transients were pretty uncommon (with real PA speakers). 

The first generation dbx driverack was widely panned for not suppressing turn on/off transients, but this is mainly a cosmetic or ergonomic concern, that dbx failed to figure out when they decided to enter the new (for them) market of live SR. Everyone already in that market knew and understood. DBX figured it out the hard way from hundreds of customers telling them, until they changed it. 

JR

**** I have repeated this story ad nauseum but another old classic amp was notorious for clipping asymmetrically which imposed a DC component on loudspeaker voice coils and often premature failures. Peavey suffered many undeserved speaker warranty claims, until that other popular amp manufacturer cleaned up their act.  (Hint it was related to their current limiting protection circuitry.)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »

I'm off sick today, killing time with Youtube, and come across "10 of the Greatest Diesel Engines Ever". I'm only mildly interested in engines, and as usual the comments are where the real action is. Plenty of heated debate for those into such things.

Anyway, it got me thinking, what should be on our list of "Ten of the Greatest PA Amps Ever"? Allow me to start the list with an obvious suggestion, the Peavey CS-800.
Macrotechs.

Greatest is a stretch, but worthy of honorable mention no doubt, I just today came across a Shure SR105 monoblock still in service.

Bob Stone

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »

It's funny, when you think about QSC there's no single great amplifier they did but every single amp they make is great. If anything, they deserve mention simply because of how consistently good, reliable, and solid every amp they make is. I don't think I would ever refuse any properly sized QSC amp, regardless of line.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2018, 04:47:04 AM »

It's funny, when you think about QSC there's no single great amplifier they did but every single amp they make is great. If anything, they deserve mention simply because of how consistently good, reliable, and solid every amp they make is. I don't think I would ever refuse any properly sized QSC amp, regardless of line.
I mentioned QSC Series 3 on page 3. The best sounding and the longest lasting. Bullit proof. I still use them and thats all I use.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

I mentioned QSC Series 3 on page 3. The best sounding and the longest lasting. Bullit proof. I still use them and thats all I use.
I still have 4 MX-1500 as lows in my steam powered 8-mix Bi-Amp monitor rack, and a couple of EX-4000 just "getting shit done".
"Quality, Service, Commitment." That says it all to me.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.