ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help sizing new speakers  (Read 8954 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Help sizing new speakers
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »

I think either the JTR or Danley rigs you mention in this thread would be a decent option and definitely a huge step up from what you have.

We use the SM 80/TH 118 combo for mostly small outdoor rock festivals in the 500-2000 person range. It really depends on the area to be covered and SPL requirements for said area.

Thanks Jonathan.  I agree that there's a lot of the classic "it depends" here, but I think you hit the nail on the head saying that either system will be a nice step up from what I currently operate while still being reasonably affordable and portable.  Thanks for the video too!

Jeff - we chose the JTR rig over Danley primarily for the flexibility, support, and proximity. Honestly, the TH-118 and OS sound incredibly similar to me... really picking nits when trying to find differences.

We liked the configurable horn on the 3TX, the incredible help and service from Jeff, and the fact that his shop is located about 1.5 hours from ours. He's been a real asset to us, and has helped with countless questions and "what if" type scenarios.

That's good rationale.  I definitely don't want to turn this into a product comparison thread (as we already have enough of those), but it definitely helps me know know the thought process behind your decision.  Lots of attractive features with both systems, and I think auditioning each one would be worth my time if given the chance.

So Ivan (or any Danley dealer) if you're following along, if I were to select a Danley system for this application, which products do you think I should be looking at?  I'll beat you to the "it depends" quote, but for overall general use, would an SM80/TH118 rig likely be enough, or should I be looking at the SH Series or similar?  If this approach is still to edgy with the rules I'll back off and address it privately.  I just know the benefit of letting others follow along too, but understand why we have the rules that we do.  Thanks again!   

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »

So Ivan (or any Danley dealer) if you're following along, if I were to select a Danley system for this application, which products do you think I should be looking at?  I'll beat you to the "it depends" quote, but for overall general use, would an SM80/TH118 rig likely be enough, or should I be looking at the SH Series or similar?  If this approach is still to edgy with the rules I'll back off and address it privately.  I just know the benefit of letting others follow along too, but understand why we have the rules that we do.  Thanks again!   
The choice of ANY loudspeaker system should start with defining some basic criteria.  Such as coverage and SPL required.

If you are doing basic speech, that is one thing, A level EDM or A level rock is quite a different story.

Of course everybody wants lots of SPL, but in many cases they cannot afford the cabinets/amps or they don't have a way to transport them.

For the area in question, some SM80s would work just fine for some types of music.  For the same area, I would suggest J3s and lots of subbage for other types of music.

For something really simple, a SM80F would be a huge "bang for the buck" system, but it comes with the "price" of how to get it up in the air high enough.  It is not a cabinet for 1 person to setup.

For something in the middle size and price, 2 Sh46s per side would be a good start

There is a large difference in price and size.

The reason I suggest actual SPLs, is that simply saying style of music-even if the same style, can vary between different needs.

Let's say you are local band playing some AC/DC.  A system would be "fine" is not even going to be close for the real band.

Small club EDM is very different sounding than large concert shows.

So yes-there are a lot of "it depends"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »

Thanks Ivan!  Everything you've mentioned has gone through my head on this, including the various products you mention.  I agree that the SM80F would be a nice product, but as you bring up, I find the size and weight to be a bit awkward for mobile use when compared to something like the SM80 /TH118.  I've considered the SH46s as well.  Sub-wise, would a pair of DBH218s per side be enough (I know, loaded question), or should I be looking at a different sub option?  I completely understand that the top to sub ratio varies greatly depending on the music being played.  I'm just trying to sort out how a lot of these products get paired together.  Thanks again!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »

Thanks Ivan!  Everything you've mentioned has gone through my head on this, including the various products you mention.  I agree that the SM80F would be a nice product, but as you bring up, I find the size and weight to be a bit awkward for mobile use when compared to something like the SM80 /TH118.  I've considered the SH46s as well.  Sub-wise, would a pair of DBH218s per side be enough (I know, loaded question), or should I be looking at a different sub option?  I completely understand that the top to sub ratio varies greatly depending on the music being played.  I'm just trying to sort out how a lot of these products get paired together.  Thanks again!

The SM80F is a great performer, but is not suited for many "portable" applications.

But on large scale systems, where it does not need to get a high in the air (such as sidefills and drum fills), it works well.  2 people can easily lift it 40". 45" is possible, but is about the limit.

It is not always a good idea to think of a sub/top ratio, but rather how many of each it takes to do the particular job.

Consider that a single DBH218 is roughly equal to 3-4 normal 2x18" cabinets.

How many "normal 2x18" would you need to do the particular job?

Of course having more capability is never a bad thing.

The choice of 1 DBH218 vs 2 TH118s is often a matter of choices.

As a "general rule", the DBH218 is less expensive than 2 TH118s.  The Th118s will be deeper, and the DBH218 will be "punchier".

The TH118s are much easier to move for a single person.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »

All true statements!  Probably the one thing I've learned from this thread so far (and from offline discussions over the past few days) is that deployment tactics are just as important (if not more so) than the products being used, so long as they're still being used as intended. 

So reading between the lines here a bit, 4 DBH218s would almost certainly be plenty for anything I'd ever want to do as a growing "lounge level" operator.  Or...I could get 6-8 TH118s but spend a bit more on the boxes, a bit more on storage/transport logistics, and a bit less on labor.  I've heard the difference between "deep" and "punch" on some different boxes, so I get what you mean and understand that a preference could even vary between application. 

As far as the tops go (whatever I choose), the ability for proper deployment seems to be the biggest thing to keep in mind. 

Just one last question - are you able to comment about the XD-118?  I've seen a few pictures of them along with the XD-96 and XD-62 but can't find any specs about them.  I appreciate it!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »

All true statements!  Probably the one thing I've learned from this thread so far (and from offline discussions over the past few days) is that deployment tactics are just as important (if not more so) than the products being used, so long as they're still being used as intended. 

Just one last question - are you able to comment about the XD-118?  I've seen a few pictures of them along with the XD-96 and XD-62 but can't find any specs about them.  I appreciate it!
One of the things that makes most sound systems "bad", is the improper usage (aiming/alignment/wrong product for the job) of loudspeakers.

Just because a speaker is "great sounding" does NOT mean that it is the proper choice for a particular job.

The XD line is currently not being offered.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »

Yep, I agree!  Thanks again Ivan!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.