ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Guidance on new mixer - maybe a dLive?  (Read 17186 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Guidance on new mixer - maybe a dLive?
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »

That's a great analogy :)

I was able to play with some of the DiGiCo stuff. I can't quite remember if it was the SD-9, but it was some of their newer stuff (SD-12?).

The DiGiCo boards were my dream for a long while. But after trying one out the main thing I didn't like was the ergonomics. The screen was too far away and too sloped down so I felt like my head was at 90* constantly. I prefer to look at the band not the mixer if/when possible (I realize with digital boards these days the amount of tweaking is nearly infinite...)

Also, the menus weren't very intuitive. I felt like any setting changes were fairly complicated and 'hidden'

That said, I didn't spend a ton of time working the actual board because I was so turned off by the ergonomics.

So take my comments about SD-xx with a grain of salt.

I went and found dLive and loved it from the start. Mixed a bit of the tracks they had (though they should give worse tracks haha; felt like each instrument already sounded perfect [no eq necessary]).

The dLive looks (I have not run one) far more intuitive than the Digico.   Lot's of pinch and visual.  The Digico is high function.  The more I study and then try to cram in my limited time on the board the more I appreciate the elegance and flexibility.  On the Digico you just touch the section of the channel strip you want to adjust and that function is then on the master encoder.  If I had not watched someone else use it and get the workflow I don't think I would have ever gleaned the usefulness from the manual.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 03:52:32 PM »

The dlive is awesome but did you spend any time on an SD-9 ?  At my age it's better than sex.

Scott, this ain't your century... 8)

Years ago I presumed that as I approached retirement I'd be working less and using a question mark after the phrase "sex life."  Then again, I'm not married... ;)

I'm beginning to understand the quips "youth is wasted on the young" (attributed to both George Bernard Shaw and Oscar Wilde in various usages) and that "wisdom is wasted on the old."  I'll save that for another time...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »

The dLive looks (I have not run one) far more intuitive than the Digico.   Lot's of pinch and visual.

That's what A&H touts on their website (intuitive control for a smartphone based generation) and I agree/think they accomplished that well. I also didn't notice any of the 'annoying-ness' that touch thingy's have - primarily because touch devices are getting to be a fairly mature technology IMO.

[quote author=Scott Holtzman link=topic=164960.msg1523280#msg1523280
The Digico is high function.  The more I study and then try to cram in my limited time on the board the more I appreciate the elegance and flexibility.  On the Digico you just touch the section of the channel strip you want to adjust and that function is then on the master encoder.  If I had not watched someone else use it and get the workflow I don't think I would have ever gleaned the usefulness from the manual.
[/quote]

Hmm, good points. And I felt like the UI could be gotten (sp?) used to and found to be very powerful (again I still think their boards are some A+ shit - best mixes I've ever heard have been on a SD-xx). I still don't think I could do the ergonomics tho (for my primary owned board at least...)

---

Jeff, I say once you're fairly serious next year to call-up a A&H dealer and get a demo.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »

Scott, this ain't your century... 8)

Years ago I presumed that as I approached retirement I'd be working less and using a question mark after the phrase "sex life."  Then again, I'm not married... ;)

I'm beginning to understand the quips "youth is wasted on the young" (attributed to both George Bernard Shaw and Oscar Wilde in various usages) and that "wisdom is wasted on the old."  I'll save that for another time...

I think forums (and other resources) such as this one help to mitigate such sayings.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »

Hmm, good points. And I felt like the UI could be gotten (sp?) used to and found to be very powerful (again I still think their boards are some A+ shit - best mixes I've ever heard have been on a SD-xx). I still don't think I could do the ergonomics tho (for my primary owned board at least...)

---

I would think that is more attributable to the people operating the mixer.  The fact they choose it as their tool makes it all the more interesting.   I am sure that in the proper hands it could deliver a very poor mix.  :-\

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »

I would think that is more attributable to the people operating the mixer.  The fact they choose it as their tool makes it all the more interesting.  I am sure that in the proper hands it could deliver a very poor mix.  :-\

"Hey, do you know what all those knobs do?"

"Yep."

"Then which one is the Suck Knob?"

"They all are, if you use them wrong."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Nadelman

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my dLive and how much I just "work" on my X-32?

The dLive is pure pleasure in sound and working on.

John Fruits

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »

So, I have to wonder how the new SQ series changes the decision making process? 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 05:20:04 PM »

So, I have to wonder how the new SQ series changes the decision making process?

It doesn't look like it to me.  It's a step up from an X32 but with the 7" touchscreen and 8 effects slots it is way below the dLive which is mentioned in the same breath as Profile's, SD-9's and such.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Art Nadelman

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »

It's a step up from an X32 but with the 7" touchscreen and 8 effects slots it is way below the dLive which is mentioned in the same breath as Profile's, SD-9's and such.

It's definitely not a dLive.  In fact, it's truly a mix of the QU, the GLD and the dLive.  It took some from each of them.  I think we will find it to be superior to the M32.  As a Waves user, it certainly fits that bill much better than the X32/M32 products.  As a dLive user, it provides an interesting monitor console at a much lower cost than another dLive console (though not nearly as powerful).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.