ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Guidance on new mixer - maybe a dLive?  (Read 17185 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Guidance on new mixer - maybe a dLive?
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 08:10:10 PM »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the additional information.

It is my understanding (and I own an X32 Rack), that you can freely assign any fader to any input that is routed.

You can only route blocks of 8.  That is to say that if you have many stage boxes, you can't input 3 inputs from one and 5 inputs from another.  You can only input 8 from one, and 16 from another (as an example).

Download the X32 Edit program.  Select a channel.  At the top of the screen select "Config".  On the config screen notice the "Source" selection.  You can assign the fader on this screen.  The default is that the first 8 faders are assigned to the first block of 8 inputs and so forth and so on.

For theater use, the X32/M32 is a superior digital mixer to the Soundcraft IMO because of the much more powerful scene management (cues and snipits in addition to just scenes).

Note, that there is no "custom layer" which allows you to put DCA's and input channels in any order you want on the X32/M32.  I am not sure if the Soundcraft can do this or not.

The Performer is a very nice mixer though.  I don't think you will find much in the way of bad press on the product other than the remote software is lacking in comparison to newer products.

Check out a few videos on Youtube on the X32/M32 scenes, cues and snipits.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »

I have a pair of A&H GLD mixers and like the dLive, not only can any fader be anything, it is drag and drop in both the UI and the off line editor.
I love being able to have a mix master next to an input or an FX return or send. Heck, I even have the main outputs faders on layer 4 since I rarely touch them. I have several DCAs assigned to soft keys and so there are not any faders assigned for them.
I love being able to configure the buss structure how I want it. Need another aux mix but don’t need mono out? Only need mono matrix? Only need 6 monitor mixes, great, I can add some stereo matrices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »

Download the X32 Edit program.  Select a channel.  At the top of the screen select "Config".  On the config screen notice the "Source" selection.  You can assign the fader on this screen.  The default is that the first 8 faders are assigned to the first block of 8 inputs and so forth and so on.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the information and that's a great idea.  I've already been watching Youtube videos on this but will definitely play around with the X32 Edit program.  One thing that I really like about the X/M32 is how deep of a user base there is.  There seems to be a demo video or tutorial for just about everything out there.  I've seen plenty of videos for the Performer and dLive series too, but the X/M32 library seems to be the most complete.  As you and others have pointed out though, I don't think I can really go wrong with any of the three options mentioned here.  It's just a question of what I'm willing to pay versus what I'm willing to settle on.

I have a pair of A&H GLD mixers and like the dLive, not only can any fader be anything, it is drag and drop in both the UI and the off line editor.
I love being able to have a mix master next to an input or an FX return or send. Heck, I even have the main outputs faders on layer 4 since I rarely touch them. I have several DCAs assigned to soft keys and so there are not any faders assigned for them.
I love being able to configure the buss structure how I want it. Need another aux mix but don’t need mono out? Only need mono matrix? Only need 6 monitor mixes, great, I can add some stereo matrices.

And personally that's how I feel a digital mixer should be.  I understand the hardware limitations of the X/M32, but given the sheer amount of processing power in even budget-level digital boards I'm surprised this would need to be a compromise.  Then again, maybe I'm still thinking in light board terms where there's a lot less I/O compared to a sound board.  Maybe this will all be moot point too in a few months depending on what comes out this year.  Even just searching for rumored Midas products turns up some interesting results.  Thanks again for the input!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yea Rob,  I agree.  For console flexibility, the GLD is very nice.  How are the scene control capabilities?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »

FYI,

An automixer is coming in the next major release. I don't have an immediate need, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

--Frank

New AMM (automixer) 64ch with 1.6 Firmware release.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/allen-heath-releases-dlive-firmware-update/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content/&eid=341034799&bid=1636829

I agree, the dLive is in a whole different class when compared to a Qu32 or M32.  I just need to decide if the price tag that goes along with that level of performance is worth it to me and where my business is right now!  Thanks Peter!

I've followed this thread with great interest. I too have practically no need for a super nice/high-end class mixer. And I agree 100% that a GLD or "borrowing" (cross rental) Art's M32 & sound would be a better 'business' choice.

With that said, I fell in love with dLive at INFOCOMM. I'm 100% going to skip the GLD upgrade and go straight to dLIVE as soon as is financially viable because I want to 'love' mixing haha :) [not that the qu isn't a joy to mix on, I just want some (bunches) more advanced features]
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »

Note, that there is no "custom layer" which allows you to put DCA's and input channels in any order you want on the X32/M32.  I am not sure if the Soundcraft can do this or not.

Yes, the Soundcraft SI line allows you to completely customize your fader layers.
VCAs, Aux masters, FX returns, mono and stereo inputs anywhere.
It's pretty easy to do also.

It gets confusing with the ViSi app though, as the app doesn't see the re-ordering.

The patching is completely flexible too.  Mixing and matching from local inputs and outputs with stagebox or any of the option card inputs and outputs.

Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »

FYI,

New AMM (automixer) 64ch with 1.6 Firmware release.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/allen-heath-releases-dlive-firmware-update/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content/&eid=341034799&bid=1636829

I've followed this thread with great interest. I too have practically no need for a super nice/high-end class mixer. And I agree 100% that a GLD or "borrowing" (cross rental) Art's M32 & sound would be a better 'business' choice.

With that said, I fell in love with dLive at INFOCOMM. I'm 100% going to skip the GLD upgrade and go straight to dLIVE as soon as is financially viable because I want to 'love' mixing haha :) [not that the qu isn't a joy to mix on, I just want some (bunches) more advanced features]

The dlive is awesome but did you spend any time on an SD-9 ?  At my age it's better than sex.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »

I really hear you on this.  From a business standpoint either buying or cross-renting an M32 or M32R is a no-brainer.  At the same time, given that this is my "fun job" I want a product that I'll enjoy using too.  If the dLive was about a third cheaper it'd be a much easier decision for me, but when I can get an M32, an M32R, and the associated stagebox all for less than the cost of the Mixrack alone I hesitate a little.  I still have yet to see the dLive in person, so the user experience is still all speculation while my little Mackie and Qu-Pac keep plugging along!  Word on the street is that A&H is announcing a new product tomorrow, so that combined with other emerging products could make this rather moot as well.  I'm sure the dLive is staying where it is on the totem pole but I'm curious where the new product will fall in regards to the Qu Series and the GLD Series.  It'll probably end up being a DJ mixer...  We shall see though!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »

The dlive is awesome but did you spend any time on an SD-9 ?  At my age it's better than sex.

That's a great analogy :)

I was able to play with some of the DiGiCo stuff. I can't quite remember if it was the SD-9, but it was some of their newer stuff (SD-12?).

The DiGiCo boards were my dream for a long while. But after trying one out the main thing I didn't like was the ergonomics. The screen was too far away and too sloped down so I felt like my head was at 90* constantly. I prefer to look at the band not the mixer if/when possible (I realize with digital boards these days the amount of tweaking is nearly infinite...)

Also, the menus weren't very intuitive. I felt like any setting changes were fairly complicated and 'hidden'

That said, I didn't spend a ton of time working the actual board because I was so turned off by the ergonomics.

So take my comments about SD-xx with a grain of salt.

I went and found dLive and loved it from the start. Mixed a bit of the tracks they had (though they should give worse tracks haha; felt like each instrument already sounded perfect [no eq necessary]).

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »

modify - quote ???

I can redeem myself :)

I really hear you on this.

From a business standpoint either buying or cross-renting an M32 or M32R is a no-brainer.  At the same time, given that this is my "fun job" I want a product that I'll enjoy using too.

If the dLive was about a third cheaper it'd be a much easier decision for me, but when I can get an M32, an M32R, and the associated stagebox all for less than the cost of the Mixrack alone I hesitate a little.

I still have yet to see the dLive in person, so the user experience is still all speculation while my little Mackie and Qu-Pac keep plugging along!

Word on the street is that A&H is announcing a new product tomorrow, so that combined with other emerging products could make this rather moot as well.

I'm sure the dLive is staying where it is on the totem pole but I'm curious where the new product will fall in regards to the Qu Series and the GLD Series.  It'll probably end up being a DJ mixer... 

We shall see though!

If its a "fun job" go for the dLive...seriously to me its a no brainier. I wouldn't get a M32 for a "fun job." I'd get it for a "business job."

&& to elaborate; coming from QU series you'll feel 100% at home. Everything is drawn from that though is much (>50%) refined, which I appreciate given the ~10x increase in pricing (hint, find it from a good dealer we can all get you good dealz ;)

I wish they would refresh the GLD series (not just stupid silver controls booopoo).

Had not heard about a new device. Will be cool given their recent offerings. Though I agree DJ is last to 'refresh' and i couldn't care less. Though Ray might ;) :P haha

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:50:52 PM by Nathan Riddle »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.