ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground Riggers?  (Read 1998 times)

Al Rettich

Ground Riggers?
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »

This might be in the wrong section, if it is I apologize. I use to remember how to read the riggers markings on the floor. I got on better tours that were carrying riggers I trusted. I have a show coming up in late March, I've got to be my own rigger for. I'm looking for a refresher. If you don't understand what marking's I am referring to, here is a picture.

Rick Earl

Re: Ground Riggers?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »

This might be in the wrong section, if it is I apologize. I use to remember how to read the riggers markings on the floor. I got on better tours that were carrying riggers I trusted. I have a show coming up in late March, I've got to be my own rigger for. I'm looking for a refresher. If you don't understand what marking's I am referring to, here is a picture.

On the top of the "y" of this bridle, the first number is the basket, so I see a 15' basket with a 15' leg and a 10' basket with a 45' leg.  (not knowing the beam distance I can't tell what this should fall out as.  Generally< I learned that Circles with an X are 1 Ton points, Squares are 2 tons and Diamonds are 1/2 tons.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »

To expand on Rick's comments:

Rotate the image 90 ° clockwise...

The Big V indicates this is a bridle.  The bottom point of the V is the Apex.

At the top of the left, the number 15 is the length of the "basket" and typically the ground rigger will build that as a "split 15" to make it easier for the up rigger to mate the basket.  The next number 15 is the length of the leg to Apex shackle.

On the right side, the top 10 indicates a 10' basket, a 45 ' leg and 6 working links of deck (SATC) chain.  Usually the ground rigger would put the deck chain at the top of the leg (between the basket and leg steel) to facilitate adjustment by the up rigger, if needed.

If the calculations were correct the hoist chain should land in the middle of the circle 7.2.

There are a couple of bridle calculators available for smart phones and I strongly suggest that you spend the $10 or so.

Marking the floor should be the least of your worries.  What concerns me is that management has put you, a non-rigger, in charge of this.  Are you also the show carpenter as well as sound person?  Just wondering...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Todd Friemuth

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »

I'm just an audio guy, not a rigger, but even on tours where we have had a traveling tour rigger, we just mark the floor in the morning (I always start by marking my points where I want them but I'm not opposed to jockeying things a foot or two to make it a dead hang) and either myself or the tour rigger works with the house rigger who is the one to actually label the points. I like to have an idea of what my points are going to be so I can measure the room and figure out what my PA angles are going to be before load in starts. There is only one venue I've ever run into where the house expects me to figure out my own bridles. A slight swerve, but isn't the triangle how one mark's a fall arrest? Anyone refresh my memory as to what the correct way to mark a rope and sheave point would be?

Al Rettich

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »

Tim,
To answer your question is sadly yes they put me in charge of this.  The original person they put there has NO experience.  25 years of touring I’m remembering it.  I’ve had training, just mostly I was the guy trusted my rigger, and he trusted me not to overweight the points!

To expand on Rick's comments:

Rotate the image 90 ° clockwise...

The Big V indicates this is a bridle.  The bottom point of the V is the Apex.

At the top of the left, the number 15 is the length of the "basket" and typically the ground rigger will build that as a "split 15" to make it easier for the up rigger to mate the basket.  The next number 15 is the length of the leg to Apex shackle.

On the right side, the top 10 indicates a 10' basket, a 45 ' leg and 6 working links of deck (SATC) chain.  Usually the ground rigger would put the deck chain at the top of the leg (between the basket and leg steel) to facilitate adjustment by the up rigger, if needed.

If the calculations were correct the hoist chain should land in the middle of the circle 7.2.

There are a couple of bridle calculators available for smart phones and I strongly suggest that you spend the $10 or so.

Marking the floor should be the least of your worries.  What concerns me is that management has put you, a non-rigger, in charge of this.  Are you also the show carpenter as well as sound person?  Just wondering...

Al Rettich

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »

This venue you speak of? I’m wondering if it’s where we’re going. I can tell you it’s cold, and a place surrounded by mountains for me!
I'm just an audio guy, not a rigger, but even on tours where we have had a traveling tour rigger, we just mark the floor in the morning (I always start by marking my points where I want them but I'm not opposed to jockeying things a foot or two to make it a dead hang) and either myself or the tour rigger works with the house rigger who is the one to actually label the points. I like to have an idea of what my points are going to be so I can measure the room and figure out what my PA angles are going to be before load in starts. There is only one venue I've ever run into where the house expects me to figure out my own bridles. A slight swerve, but isn't the triangle how one mark's a fall arrest? Anyone refresh my memory as to what the correct way to mark a rope and sheave point would be?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.