ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio System for new dance studio  (Read 9075 times)

Markos Theodorou

Audio System for new dance studio
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:18:03 AM »

Good morning to everyone.

I am currently building a new dance school, which will have three separate dance rooms. The larger room will be 10 X 12 meters, and the two smaller ones will be 6 X 9 meters each. The two smaller ones will be able to operate as one room, since they will be divided by foldable acoustic panels. The room walls are all straight surfaces, and one wall in each room will have mirrors. The ceiling is false gypsum tiles.

What kind of audio system setup do you recommend? I have gotten several quotations from audio professionals, but all with different recommendations. One audio professional told me that for the large room 120m, placing 4 Speakers in the corners of the room would create noise, as there would be delay from one side to the other.

I am really out of my depth here, and I would appreciate any recommendations you may have.

Many thanks.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Audio System for new dance studio
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:00:06 AM »

You will get some responses after you post under your full name as required by forum rules.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Markos Theodorou

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:23:14 AM »

You will get some responses after you post under your full name as required by forum rules.

Thanks for the tip Keith :-)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »

Good morning to everyone.

I am currently building a new dance school, which will have three separate dance rooms. The larger room will be 10 X 12 meters, and the two smaller ones will be 6 X 9 meters each. The two smaller ones will be able to operate as one room, since they will be divided by foldable acoustic panels. The room walls are all straight surfaces, and one wall in each room will have mirrors. The ceiling is false gypsum tiles.

What kind of audio system setup do you recommend? I have gotten several quotations from audio professionals, but all with different recommendations. One audio professional told me that for the large room 120m, placing 4 Speakers in the corners of the room would create noise, as there would be delay from one side to the other.

I am really out of my depth here, and I would appreciate any recommendations you may have.

Many thanks.

Budget?
Do you have viewing/seating areas or is the entire space for performers only?
Expectations (Broadway or local shop)?
Subs?

Those are fairly small areas, nearly any decent pair of speakers per area will be adequate for your expectations.

Martin CDD series is excellent, though probably about mid/top-tier for their price point (~$1.3kea). But their design gives for less speakers typically thus saving money.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Markos Theodorou

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »

Budget?
Do you have viewing/seating areas or is the entire space for performers only?
Expectations (Broadway or local shop)?
Subs?

Those are fairly small areas, nearly any decent pair of speakers per area will be adequate for your expectations.

Martin CDD series is excellent, though probably about mid/top-tier for their price point (~$1.3kea). But their design gives for less speakers typically thus saving money.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for replying.

The dance school is in Cyprus, Europe. The budget is around 3000 - 3500 euros.

No seating area, whole spaces are for dance lessons. I agree that for the two smaller rooms, a decent pair of speakers for each should be ok. Any ideas on the size of the speakers?

For the large room, one professional recommended either going with a pair of large speakers on one side, or four smaller ones and two subwoofers. The two large ones are the best option apparently, but they are quite heavy, and they need to be wall mounted (about 20 kgs).

Business is quite good, plenty of students signed up already, which is why i want to make sure i invest correctly in the right setup.

Thanks again.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 09:13:33 AM »

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for replying.

The dance school is in Cyprus, Europe. The budget is around 3000 - 3500 euros.

No seating area, whole spaces are for dance lessons. I agree that for the two smaller rooms, a decent pair of speakers for each should be ok. Any ideas on the size of the speakers?

For the large room, one professional recommended either going with a pair of large speakers on one side, or four smaller ones and two subwoofers. The two large ones are the best option apparently, but they are quite heavy, and they need to be wall mounted (about 20 kgs).

Business is quite good, plenty of students signed up already, which is why i want to make sure i invest correctly in the right setup.

Thanks again.

Is that budget including installation?

What did the other companies suggest?

We could scrutinize it for you. Perhaps that is easier than us giving you another 6 different systems and guessing at what fits your needs.

For the larger room: My opinion is a better single pair of speakers and one sub. yes, there is the whole divide by two ratio for speaker deployment; but I've found that is a little excessive and adds lots of reflections/cancellations/phase issues.

For the smaller rooms I would consider even a small sub to supplement. When I think 'dance' I think some punchy bass centered around 60hz to go along with the music.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 09:15:38 AM »

Since you are building, make pocket shelves / platforms for the speakers as part of the structure (if building style allows).  A mirrored wall and Wood floors will likely create a reverberant space, making instruction difficult to understand.  Consider putting sound absorption panels on the 2 fixed non-mirrored walls.  15 - 20% spaced coverage per wall would be in the ballpark.  Pretty easy to make and mount with a little research (and youtube).  Relatively inexpensive to make.  Not so much to buy. 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »

Pretty easy to make and mount with a little research (and youtube).  Relatively inexpensive to make.  Not so much to buy.

I agree with the acoustics.

I'm not sure I agree with the 'making' of acoustic panels.

The best value isn't always the lowest price tag.

Do the panels actually work, what freq do they work, do they look good, are they fire retardant, will they last?

It would be hard to beat-out good companies like Perdue Acoustics with DIY products when considering value.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 11:31:41 AM »

I think I'd go with a bunch of 12" speakers. Wall mount and don't bother with subs.

Probably 8 in total, 1 in each corner of the big room and the same again when the two small rooms are joined together. When you close the wall up, each small room would have 2.

There'll be plenty of kick from a few 12"s, the sound will be spread reasonably evenly, and you won't need to mess with subwoofers.

8x decent 12" passive cabs plus an NU4-6000 would run the whole thing just fine, and should be well in budget.
Add a notepad mixer in each room with one line and one mic input and off you go. Joining the two small room systems together would need a little bit of thought, but won't be difficult.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with the 'making' of acoustic panels.

It would be hard to beat-out good companies like Perdue Acoustics with DIY products when considering value.

Perdue uses the same materials available to the common market.  Proper techniques in building, positioning and mounting of course must be followed, but if you want to learn how, you can.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.