ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Video wall resale values?  (Read 4493 times)

Jay Brett

LED Video wall resale values?
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post. We are about to purchase a new LED wall for our venue. This will be the 3rd one in 11 years. We've been getting about 4 years out of them until they start to have issues. We than limp through that last year making repairs. So far, we have done two install screens. This is an outdoor (covered) environment.

I'm considering going with a touring style screen, complete with cases. Mainly, because I feel they're built a bit stronger but more so because we could possibly sell every three years on the used market. Which leads to my question. How is the used market for touring LED walls? Does brand matter? Absen, Panasonic vs something like Chauvet or Elation?

After moderate use, what percentage of the new price would be reasonable to ask for a used screen? Keep in mind it won't be put up and taken down constantly like a typical touring screen.

Thank you!

James Feenstra

Re: LED Video wall resale values?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »

How is the used market for touring LED walls?
pretty saturated due to the rapidly changing technology

Does brand matter? Absen, Panasonic vs something like Chauvet or Elation?
it absolutely does, although resolution typically matters more. There's not much of a resale value for 10mm + LED wall these days, given the cheap price of comparable 6mm or less products

After moderate use, what percentage of the new price would be reasonable to ask for a used screen? Keep in mind it won't be put up and taken down constantly like a typical touring screen.

Thank you!
while less physical wear and tear on the panels, it's likely that an installed screen will have more useage on it than a touring product. Realistically, you're probably looking at 30-40% resale value if sold in under 5 years. Less if longer or if there's a more advanced product that comes out. We've come pretty close to the pinnacle of LED video resolution, with walls available down to 1/2mm pitches there's not too much smaller that they can go
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 01:45:02 AM »

If you are not familiar with video walls and don't really have a scope of work I recommend reaching out to a digital signage video wall vendor as they can help some up with use cases for you and help drive you to the right solution (and help support it).

There is a guy in town that has 600 Barco panels, they may be more than 10mm, they are old and very heavy.  They need three phase power, have to sit on I beams on the stage and the flying hardware looks like something you use to take a locomotive engine.  I am sure he would give it away, I think at this point he is painfully aware that selling the cases and scrap metal may be his best out at this point. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 02:46:54 AM »

Having worked with walls from cheap to truly touring class, the one big thing I think that stands out between them is the overall build quality of the power supplies and the network modules. The cheap walls look fine and perform great when they work. The cheap ones seem to use the cheap power supplies you can find on eBay for $25. Lord knows what the network modules are made with. The other major difference between them is the hardware or mounting quality. The cheap ones just have weird stuff going on that is not always easy to work with, while the nicer units just work.

Roe is what VER uses and it is pretty nice stuff. The stuff that uses a Novastar controller is a little less fun to work with.

Pricing wise??? I guess I am just used to the idea of it being $2k+ per panel. I prefer 3mm or smaller. The used market is REALLY tough. The problem is color matching. Most walls are bought as a batch and the panels do not always match other batches. So buying used sucks for the buyer because while you can get them for roughly half the cost, you also are actually buying someone else's problem. LED walls seem to make money in the production world, so if one is for sale, it is likely because the wall is either troublesome enough to let it go, or a better one was purchased to replace it. You are buying something that is worth getting rid of either way. I wish you luck!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:53:31 AM by Luke Geis »
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber