ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley: 2 x BC415 vs 2 x BC218  (Read 11873 times)

Ash Priba

Danley: 2 x BC415 vs 2 x BC218
« on: September 18, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »

Ivan,

The owners of the venue seems to be opening up to the idea of 2 x BC218 in the "eye" configuration, for lower extension and greater headroom vs 4 x TH118. See attached image.

This opens the field to an alternative solution, in the form of 2 x BC415.

----

Mon - Thurs, the music is likely to be more sedate (Lounge).

Fri - Sun, will be geared towards EDM.

----

Q1: Between 2 x BC218 and 2 x BC415 for our venue size of 70 x 35ft and max capacity of 450-500 people (incl mezzanine), where would you lean towards.

Q2: There was a question that with a packed room (450-500 people), the SH50 may be reaching its limits. Is this a concern?

Q3: Which top would best pair with the subwoofer you recommend above.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:01:45 PM by Ash Priba »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: 2 x BC415 vs 2 x BC218
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »

Why do you keep posting new threads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ash Priba

Re: 2 x BC415 vs 2 x BC218
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 08:05:15 PM »

Why do you keep posting new threads?

I considered continuing the old thread, but I figure the question is sufficiently different to warrant a separate topic, for the benefit of others searching the forum with this particular conumdrum.

Happy to go either way, as I'm sure Ivan will respond regardless.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:07:25 PM by Ash Priba »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Danley: 2 x BC415 vs 2 x BC218
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »

Which if you are just looking to ask him a question, and not looking for others input why don't you just email him or send him a direct message?  The question of what subwoofer from Danley is best for your space is the same question you started off with on your first post.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »

Which if you are just looking to ask him a question, and not looking for others input why don't you just email him or send him a direct message?  The question of what subwoofer from Danley is best for your space is the same question you started off with on your first post.

Ash, please don't go private.  I like many, I suppose,  are interested in the thought process and the result.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »

Ash, please don't go private.  I like many, I suppose,  are interested in the thought process and the result.

This, always fun to watch a new venue get built from the sidelines :)

Especially when you're willing to give out a fair amount of $$$ for the project.

Ivan,

The owners of the venue seems to be opening up to the idea of 2 x BC218 in the "eye" configuration, for lower extension and greater headroom vs 4 x TH118. See attached image.

----

----

Q1: Between 2 x BC218 and 2 x BC415 for our venue size of 70 x 35ft and max capacity of 450-500 people (incl mezzanine), where would you lean towards.

Q2: There was a question that with a packed room (450-500 people), the SH50 may be reaching its limits. Is this a concern?

Thank you.

Q1:
BC218 specs:
22-185Hz -10dB
142 cont

BC415 specs:
28-185Hz -10dB
148 cont

Comparing simply the numbers, the 415's are louder; the 218's are lower. Pick your poison.

FWIW (IMO) you'll deafen everyone in that room of yours for any genre with either pair of subs.

I believe I have read threads that Ivan has said the 415 is a fun sub not necessarily a purely accurate sub. It could have been a different sub though lol.

Q2:
SH46 might be better for your purposes, but then you'll loose some coverage area in one dimension and gain in another...?

Q3:
Generally speaking, the Jerichos are the correct tops to pair with those monsters. (IMO again)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:49:19 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »

I have heard a pair of the BC218s and the bottom end output is  mind blowing!
Still, 4 TH118s would be VERY good and probably lower cost.
If you install either sub configuration,  I hope you have good neighbours around the venue because that kind of bass gets around....everywhere!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »

Ivan,

----

----

Thank you.
Here are my thoughts, there are pros and cons, I will try to list all of them,

This will be a little long, I'm sorry.

1: Both the BC415 and BC218 are among the most "bang for the buck" products Danley offers.

Yes, they are the most expensive subs, but when you consider how much output your get, and how many other subs (amps, cables, truck space etc) it would take to equal that output, they look pretty cheap.  But not everybody needs the output or the lower extension they offer.

Honestly, 4 TH118s would do a "fine job" in your room.  Some people want more than "fine".

2: Both BC cabinets are basically the same size-except the BC218 is 4" deeper than the BC415. 

However, the BC218 has input jacks on 2 sides of the cabinet, so you could plug the NL4s into the "ends" of the "eyeball" configuration (as you have shown) so that they would go closer to the wall.  However, this might be a "temptation" for some punters to unplug it-so that needs to be considered.

3: Sonically there are differences.  Both cabinets go louder than you would possibly need for a room that size.

As a general rule, the BC415 goes "louder" and the BC218 goes deeper,

HOWEVER-that depends (as always) on what freq you are talking about.  At the lower end of the BC218s response, it is louder than the BC415.  So the loudness is only in the intended operating range of the cabinet.

Personally, I feel the BC218 has a smoother, more natural sound, but the BC415 is more "fun".  But you realize the difference in sound unless you compare them side by side.  I thought the BC415 was fine, until I heard it next to a BC218.  It all depends on your "reference".

If I was doing "kick drum rock and roll" or other popular types of music, the BC415 would be my choice-simply because of the output capability.

I like the BC415 for large stadium work because of the greater output capability

If I was doing deep EDM, the BC218 would often be a better choice (assuming it will get loud enough for the intended application-which it will be for your room). 

In a room of your size, with the room gain, the capability of the BC218 and possibly a little EQ  boost on the very bottom, you should be able to get to 20Hz flat, easily, some room modes exempted.

4: Personally I think the BC218 (in the eyeball configuration) looks a lot "cooler" than 2 BC415s.  In a recent EDM festival in Oregon for the eclispe, one of the stages had a pair of BC218s (like you describe) in the middle, and stacks of TH118s on the sides.  I think it was 2 stacks (1 each side) of TH118s (8 TH118s per stack)

Apparently there was a line of people waiting to get inside of the cavity (there are grills recessed inside to keep garbage away from the drivers).  Somebody said he thought several babies were conceived inside the BC218s during the event.

5:  If you are looking for the "WOW" audio experience, the the BC218 would be my choice in your room.  You would have people stunned at the audio experience (assuming you have good quality content being played).

Part of the problem with an accurate system, is that it revels the flaws in bad sources (poor musicians, low bit rate MP3s etc).  But with good sources, it can be quite stunning.

I would agree that the SH50 might be near its limit (of course depending on how loud you actually want to run the levels).  Some people like it a lot louder than others, so "it depends".

If you have older SH50s, then you might want to get the "add on" Sentinel protection board for the HF driver.  The HF is the weakest point in the cabinet, but when you add the Sentinel, you can drive the cabinet harder without damage.

I think you said you already own the SH50s, so I would start with that (be sure to set limiters properly)-we can help you with that, depending on what limiters you have available.  The ones inside the DNA amps are specific for Danley products.  You could use a single DNA20K amp and power the 2 subs and 2 tops off of it.

When looking at higher output tops, there are a couple of options.  For around the same physical size (but smaller) the SM80 would be a good choice.

If you could tolerate larger physical size, the SH96 would be my choice.

Of the 3 cabinets, I would list them in order of "sonic purity" as #1 Sh50, #2, Sh96,  #3 SM80.

In terms of output SPL,  #1 SH96,  #2 SM80,  #3 Sh50.  This depends on freq.  If the tops are run down low, the SM80 will be last below 100Hz.

Hopefully this helps.

As you can tell there are many things to consider when looking at a speaker system.  Sometimes one factor is more important than others, but to other people different factors are more important.

What YOU need to consider is what is best for YOUR SPECIFIC application.

A different room/application might require a different approach. 

That is why there are so many different options out there.  There is no "one size fits all"

Hopefully this helps and does not sound to much like an "ad".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ash Priba

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »

Thank you. As you say, it is always fascinating to see the thought process behind the selection of products.

-----

The Danley demo day was with 2 x TH118 and the resident DJ commented on lack of lower frequencies. In reading Ivan's detailed response, the only option we have is 2 x BC218.

This is the latest iteration of 2 x BC218. I personally like this the best.

The front surface to the left and right of the BC218 will be LED panels. We will likely request special interior color (like the PG system) and install RGB LEDs inside the BC218 for added effect.

If this happens, this will probably be the biggest, baddest 20hz sub install in any club in this country.

Apparently there was a line of people waiting to get inside of the cavity (there are grills recessed inside to keep garbage away from the drivers).  Somebody said he thought several babies were conceived inside the BC218s during the event.

ps. making babies in the vicinity of the subwoofer will be highly frowned upon
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:11:22 PM by Ash Priba »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »

The front surface to the left and right of the BC218 will be LED panels. We will likely request special interior color (like the PG system) and install RGB LEDs inside the BC218 for added effect.

If you go for a custom internal color, I suggest white.  That way you can use RGB LEDs and make the inside any color you want.  We did this on some BC415s and it was quite interesting.

The response of the BC415s in the stacked configuration is a little different than the end to end.

As shown on the spec sheet, you can see the differences between singles and doubles of each configuration.

These were measured at 10M in the middle of a large parking lot.  So inside a room the response will be different.

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/BC-218-spec-sheet-2.pdf
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.