ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: passive double 18s?  (Read 13472 times)

Mike Spade

passive double 18s?
« on: September 15, 2017, 05:31:31 AM »

I've been thinking about building some more dual 18 cases but I'm pretty conflicted atm between the eaw sb1000 and the tlf218 from community.

I have a pair of sw-1000's from yorkvilles elite line that I like that I was debating on clone'n before I did my homework on the sb1000's and Tlf218, they both seem like better options but I'm not really sure what one I'd like to go with.

I'm looking for close range listening, i want folks to feel it 1 foot to 50 feet away, so the eaw sb1000 stacking seems like a good idea, but then I hear Tlf218's sound better.

open to other suggestions, I was looking at the qrx 218's as well but they have a bit of wood dividing the two subs so its basicly just dual single cabs.

I am looking for dual 18 speaker design plans that are ~around~ RMS 1k watts, something ~like~ the sw-1000 or eaw sb1000 or the tlf28 would be nice, however I am open to other suggestions. I need to somehow form this into a question now or you guys will ignore it so.... Can you guys show me plans of something like this that is known to work and tested already or suggest another set of plans?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:07:44 PM by Mike Spade »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: passive double 18s?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »

I've been thinking about building some more dual 18 cases but I'm pretty conflicted atm between the eaw sb1000 and the tlf218 from community.

I have a pair of sw-1000's from yorkvilles elite line that I like that I was debating on clone'n before I did my homework on the sb1000's and Tlf218, they both seem like better options but I'm not really sure what one I'd like to go with.

I'm looking for close range listening, i want folks to feel it 1 foot to 50 feet away, so the eaw sb1000 stacking seems like a good idea, but then I hear Tlf218's sound better.

open to other suggestions, I was looking at the qrx 218's as well but they have a bit of wood dividing the two subs so its basicly just dual single cabs.
I hope you realize that "cloning" a design and then making money off of it is considered a form of patent infringement???  Making money off of somebody else s work.

Which can get you into trouble.

That type of thing is frowned upon in professional forums/circles like this.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »

I hope you realize that "cloning" a design and then making money off of it is considered a form of patent infringement???  Making money off of somebody else s work.

It's also just not cool.  Do you want to be cool Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Spade

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »

Who said anything about this?

I didn't.

Take your assumptions elsewhere please.

I wish to use these, not sell them, I have owned speakers for over 8 years and I've never sold a single speaker I've owned.

I use a large 30,000 watt sound system once a month, I need more sound.

It's also just not cool.  Do you want to be cool Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't particularly care about your opinion of what is cool and what isn't, no.

In my opinion spending ten grand or more on new speakers instead of building them myself and saving myself a massive amount of money is pretty uncool since I would get half the amount of speakers or less. Why would I want half the amount for the same price? Seems foolish to me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:00:21 PM by Mike Spade »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »

I wish to use these, not sell them, I have owned speakers for over 8 years and I've never sold a single speaker I've owned.

1) Not selling. Making money using someone else's patent/design/product/intellectual property is infringement on their rights unless allowances have been made.

2) Buy more speakers of the same type or rent them or build a proven design. Don't copy other people's designs, they spent time and money on it to benefit you the customer.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »

In my opinion spending ten grand or more on new speakers instead of building them myself and saving myself a massive amount of money is pretty uncool since I would get half the amount of speakers or less. Why would I want half the amount for the same price? Seems foolish to me.
So do you just loan out your system for free?

If you are charging for your services or gear, then you are making money off of other peoples designs/work.

THAT is where the problem is.

If it is for personal use in which you do not charge any money (rent or admission charge), then you can do and build anything you want without recourse.

But as soon as money is involved, the law changes.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »

BTW, Bragging about how much "wattage" you have is like bragging how low the gas mileage on your car is.

There is a WHOLE lot more than simple watts.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Spade

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 05:01:27 PM »

So do you just loan out your system for free?

If you are charging for your services or gear, then you are making money off of other peoples designs/work.

THAT is where the problem is.

If it is for personal use in which you do not charge any money (rent or admission charge), then you can do and build anything you want without recourse.

But as soon as money is involved, the law changes.

Yes I loan my system out for free, I do charity events and use them personally.

Thanks for your support in agreeing I can build whatever I want.

Can we get back on subject?

BTW, Bragging about how much "wattage" you have is like bragging how low the gas mileage on your car is.

There is a WHOLE lot more than simple watts.

Agreed. I didn't think you guys cared for a list of speakers tho, it seems to be the shortest and most simple way to tell you I have a large sound system that requires 3-4 volunteer roadies to move.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:19:43 PM by Mike Spade »

Mike Spade

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 05:10:54 PM »

Lets be clear here too, the speakers designs I'm looking at are discontinued. The sb-1000 at the very least is so old that the only way I'd be able to buy them is used or buy clones off someone else.

As in eaw is getting zero of my money regardless here if I pick the sb-1000's.

Same can be said for the yorkville sw-1000's they are impossible to find cuz they are discontinued and nobody has em, none are being made. So even if I wanted to hand my money to yorkville, I wouldn't be able to get these cabs, the only solution is to clone them.

With that being said I'm sure that while they may be close copys, I would be using different parts (aside of drivers maybe) and they would look differently. I know for example community edited a few of their designs minorly so they are not copys of another speaker, (mainly to avoid the EV patent covering a manifold with parallel mounting boards) I see no reason why I couldn't also do some minor edits to make it "my own" like community or behringer does.

Alternatively if you know of some other design I'm not looking at that is rated around 1k rms watts then I'd be interested in checking it out, I know eighteen sound has alot of cases on their website that are freely given to be used, there must be other designs like this that are publicly offered and proven to work well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:57:41 PM by Mike Spade »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »

Who said anything about this?

I didn't.

Take your assumptions elsewhere please.

If you think that a cabinet is just "divided by a piece of wood" then clearly you have no idea what goes into engineering the cabinets you mentioned, especially something as complex as an SB1000, which a joinery expert, given a sample and a whole lot of time, would be challenged to replicate.  You basically will have a pile of shit, instead of a system that works.

BTW mentioning a watts value with the system you operate (is that input, output, heat dissipated) to a roomful of audio professionals is a great method to remove all doubt you have no clue what you are doing.

Why don't you try taking a deep breath and start all over again.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.