ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Conditioner Rebooting  (Read 16862 times)

Craig Mashburn

Re: Power Conditioner Rebooting
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »

Craig...

Forgive me for being blunt, but your knowledge in this situation extends only as far as the apparent time and budget limitations of the task, falling short of the requisite technical and safety issues involved.  As such, you're asking the wrong questions and tending to disregard answers and information pertaining to proper and SAFE practice, placing such considerations after budget issues.

"Everybody does it" is not a legitimate basis for prodedures.

I cannot disagree. However, I am simply a volunteer helping out. I have no real say on how money is spent or how things are done. When the director sees all the other bands doing it one way and it working fine, then they are not going to be inclined to do it differently. I can make suggestions. That is what I am trying to do here. Line up suggestions from best to worst to get it working as needed.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »

Cabling for such purposes must be a single.  No connectors/splicing allowed.  Practical length for nominal 100' runs would be 150' to account for routing and safety slack coils at either end.  Minimum gauge would be 10/3 and rating SOOW.  This would cost about $1.75/foot at the least, then there would be the connectors.  For that length and weight you'd want it mounted on a heavy-duty reel and that's more $$$.  Then there are liability issues which is why I prefer to use a super-quiet generator sited right at the board.

I just finished a smallish annual event where the SPL limits are fairly low and strictly enforced.  I place my Honda EU3000i directly behind the 16" high stage with only the back wall of the same material as the canopy top between the generator and a stage full of microphones.

You cannot hear the generator through any of the mics or at the front of the stage.  And my liability exposure from cable runs is ZERO.

Edit:

It would be a good idea for you to familiarize yourself with event power codes.  This info is available at the State level. 

Event power/fairs/expositions is what you're looking for.  With electricity, everything can work "fine" until it doesn't.  When it doesn't, lives can be lost.  It is our responsibility even as volunteers working such events to do our utmost to identify and correct improper procedures.

I'm sure you agree.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:19:14 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »

Football games are one thing. Competitions are another. Competitions are very quiet environments and I am not even sure if certain places would allow a generator. However, if they do, would the 2000 watt Predator be enough? Watts, amps, all electrical stuff really is not in my wheelhouse.

If we are talking about the Inverter generator then yes it's what I meant.  Assuming you are connecting to a 15 amp outlet and losing 10-20% in the extension cord it is a huge improvement.

It's still not enough to run full tilt boogie.

"Everyone" doesn't do it this way.  Our local HS has subs and constant curvature line array cabinets (one of the few applications these work well for) that are placed on the sidelines.  The instruments use wireless packs and the mixer is on the sidelines. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »

Scott...

In the Honda EU line, the running SPL lowers as you up-size from the 2000 to the 7000.  Bigger engine/lower RPM and more substantial casing help.

Craig Mashburn

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »

If we are talking about the Inverter generator then yes it's what I meant.  Assuming you are connecting to a 15 amp outlet and losing 10-20% in the extension cord it is a huge improvement.

It's still not enough to run full tilt boogie.

"Everyone" doesn't do it this way.  Our local HS has subs and constant curvature line array cabinets (one of the few applications these work well for) that are placed on the sidelines.  The instruments use wireless packs and the mixer is on the sidelines.

What do they use for power?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »

Football games are one thing. Competitions are another. Competitions are very quiet environments and I am not even sure if certain places would allow a generator. However, if they do, would the 2000 watt Predator be enough? Watts, amps, all electrical stuff really is not in my wheelhouse.

We are not talking about a Harbor Freight Predator. Dick is talking about a Honda Inverter type generator. They are quiet and produce stable clean power.
I suspect, given the system you linked to, the Honda 3000 would be a better fit. Note, however, Honda makes many models. I suggest checking in here before buying with the specific model being considered should you go down that path.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Craig Mashburn

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »

We are not talking about a Harbor Freight Predator. Dick is talking about a Honda Inverter type generator. They are quiet and produce stable clean power.
I suspect, given the system you linked to, the Honda 3000 would be a better fit. Note, however, Honda makes many models. I suggest checking in here before buying with the specific model being considered should you go down that path.

Scott actually mentioned the Harbor Freight model.

I actually own a Honda EU3000is. It was given to me by someone who no longer needed it. However, not sure it would be quiet enough.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »

Scott actually mentioned the Harbor Freight model.

I actually own a Honda EU3000is. It was given to me by someone who no longer needed it. However, not sure it would be quiet enough.

Craig...

I do this as a business and specialize in acoustic music reinforcement.  I can unequivocally state that a properly maintained and operated EU 3000i is quiet enough.

Craig Mashburn

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:24 PM »

Craig...

I do this as a business and specialize in acoustic music reinforcement.  I can unequivocally state that a properly maintained and operated EU 3000i is quiet enough.

Good to know. Not sure how well maintained it was before I got it and I have not had any time to dig into it since. Last time I started it it would not run without the choke all the way out so it has some issues. If we are to go the way of a generator, the band would need to buy one.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob - have you seen the new Predator inverter models?  Debbie has one too I believe.  They are as quiet as the Honda, more fuel efficient and appears to be a big winner.

I want to make it clear I am not talking about the construction generators. 

The inverters are very clean.   

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 04:13:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.