ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New system recommendations  (Read 5918 times)

Zachary Jordan

New system recommendations
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:48 PM »

I'm working with a small local church to install a new system.  It has a congregation of probably 15-20.  The sanctuary is probably 30'x40'.  Maybe a little smaller.  They have an existing system was installed about 30 years ago, consisting of 12 in ceiling speakers in the sanctuary, and 3 speakers in classrooms in the church.  It's of course an old 70v system. 

They are wanting to do update but do not want their speakers very intrusive.  Would you all suggest, keeping an in-ceiling speaker design and maybe just not replacing all 12?  Or two very small speakers either mounted at ceiling over podium (vaulted probably 12-15' at max), or two wall speakers on either side of stage.   
I know that they don't need a huge speaker because the church is so small.   Any recommendations?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:18:56 PM »

Any recommendations?

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

David Mau

Re: New system recommendations
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:24:54 PM »

I'm working with a small local church to install a new system.  It has a congregation of probably 15-20.  The sanctuary is probably 30'x40'.  Maybe a little smaller.  They have an existing system was installed about 30 years ago, consisting of 12 in ceiling speakers in the sanctuary, and 3 speakers in classrooms in the church.  It's of course an old 70v system. 

They are wanting to do update but do not want their speakers very intrusive.  Would you all suggest, keeping an in-ceiling speaker design and maybe just not replacing all 12?  Or two very small speakers either mounted at ceiling over podium (vaulted probably 12-15' at max), or two wall speakers on either side of stage.   
I know that they don't need a huge speaker because the church is so small.   Any recommendations?

Shoot me a call man! 719-323-6100 x 201   my name is David

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »

Shoot me a call man! 719-323-6100 x 201   my name is David

You managed to break the two main forum rules on your first post.
Read the rules, fix your display name.
No commerce allowed in the forums.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »

What is the system not doing?   12 ceiling speakers on a 70 volt system may or may not be a bad thing.

Depending on there location, I would want to add delay. 
Not to Code

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »

Thirty years with likely no maintenance.  The first thing to do is simply test everything, find any faults, clean all the connections and bring what is likely to be a serviceable system back to specs.  Only after that need any changes or additions be considered.

In such situations, a little spit and polish can work wonders.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Zachary Jordan

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »

Thirty years with likely no maintenance.  The first thing to do is simply test everything, find any faults, clean all the connections and bring what is likely to be a serviceable system back to specs.  Only after that need any changes or additions be considered.

In such situations, a little spit and polish can work wonders.

Everything appears to be working fine.  The sound is not the greatest, but I don't expect much out of it.  What got them started wanting to upgrade is to have something they can record audio and play cd's or something from their phone if they wanted to.  The current amp/mixer would of course not allow this. 

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 11:13:59 AM »

Everything appears to be working fine.  The sound is not the greatest, but I don't expect much out of it.  What got them started wanting to upgrade is to have something they can record audio and play cd's or something from their phone if they wanted to.  The current amp/mixer would of course not allow this. 

Quote to replace the mixer and leave it at that, a bluetooth box could solve the play audio from a phone problem and a CD player could solve the CDs problem. There are also a large number of ways to record audio.

If the actual speakers are meeting current needs and their only problem is that the console isn't cutting it then quote them to replace the console, depending on their budget there are a lot of options.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »

Everything appears to be working fine.  The sound is not the greatest...

If the sound is, as you say, "not the greatest", then it APPEARS that everything is not "working fine".  Spending some time ascertaining the condition of the various components, cleaning and testing connections costs only time.  Spendinding money based on unsubstantiated guesswork is a waste of both time AND money.

Make a list of all components with brand and model #, then post here.  You WILL receive assistance from experienced professionals as well as others who have gone through the process before.  Knowing what and how to test is fairly standard, takes little (but necessary) time and can usually be done with readily available equipment most home owners possess...or should possess.

If you can furnish all requested info, you can be shepherded through the process easily enough.  You might even post pictures.  Yes, it will take time to go step by step, but in the end there should be no back-tracking and none of the time wasted.

Best of luck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Zachary Jordan

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:37:16 PM »

Their current mixer/amp is a Altec/Lansing 1715B.  Their speakers are Dukane in ceiling speakers.  12 in the sanctuary, and 3 in other rooms.  There is one speaker connection to the amp. 

Here are some pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/S1obUFG1staoTYPz2

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:37:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.