ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a plan for a lighting upgrade  (Read 25474 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Making a plan for a lighting upgrade
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 11:34:49 PM »

Just to confuse you more...

And Elation just released a Seven Series, in case you'd like lime to go with your SixPar... 

The Maverick Storm 1 Wash interests me as well.  One of these years I'll finally find a suitable replacement for my Studio Beams that'll match their output but won't break the bank.  Legit outdoor capabilities would be nice as well given that my next investment in LED Pars will also be IP.  Any word on the Storm 1 price yet?  I'm guessing $3499. 

Mounting moving lights on a pole can be tricky.  I actually just posted a thread about mounting fixtures on poles on controlbooth...  Aside from the momentum concerns, you also have to use a mount that's rugged enough to safely support the fixture itself.  I just bought a dozen attachments that let me mount a fixture directly on top of a speaker stand or ST-132, but it won't work for a moving head.  My Elation Sniper Pros are the heaviest thing I'll put up there. 

Just a comment about your 575w power draw...  Loading 2300w onto a 20A circuit can still trip the breaker.  It may not be right away (could take an hour or two), but it can happen.  You typically don't want to load a circuit beyond 80% for a "continuous load", which I believe is defined as 3 hours or more.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »

Thanks for the math check on the circuit loading, that’s good to know. 

I wish Elation would hurry up and publish the beam angle specs for the Seven Par 7IP already.  If it’s 25 degrees or wider, that’s probably the way I’d go.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »

Not a problem, and as a slight disclaimer there are types of breakers that can run at full load indefinitely - usually found on some dimmer racks and other specialty applications.  I'm talking more about the upstream breaker you'll be plugging into at your local hotel/banquet center/etc. 

I agree, but I'd be surprised if it's that narrow in practice.  Even then, there are way to widen the beam a bit.  I'm more interested in what the actual price will be.  The initial numbers I'm seeing aren't encouraging when you need to buy 40 of them!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »

Not a problem, and as a slight disclaimer there are types of breakers that can run at full load indefinitely - usually found on some dimmer racks and other specialty applications.  I'm talking more about the upstream breaker you'll be plugging into at your local hotel/banquet center/etc. 

I agree, but I'd be surprised if it's that narrow in practice.  Even then, there are way to widen the beam a bit.  I'm more interested in what the actual price will be.  The initial numbers I'm seeing aren't encouraging when you need to buy 40 of them!

B&H has a price up of $1000, my guess to the trade will be about $700.  I would love to see the colors that bad boy is going to produce.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Fruits

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »

The Maverick Storm 1 Wash interests me as well.  One of these years I'll finally find a suitable replacement for my Studio Beams that'll match their output but won't break the bank.  Legit outdoor capabilities would be nice as well given that my next investment in LED Pars will also be IP.  Any word on the Storm 1 price yet?  I'm guessing $3499. 

Mounting moving lights on a pole can be tricky.  I actually just posted a thread about mounting fixtures on poles on controlbooth...  Aside from the momentum concerns, you also have to use a mount that's rugged enough to safely support the fixture itself.  I just bought a dozen attachments that let me mount a fixture directly on top of a speaker stand or ST-132, but it won't work for a moving head.  My Elation Sniper Pros are the heaviest thing I'll put up there. 
Jeff and Jeremy, Ford Sellers from Chauvet Pro has said that the prices on the new products should be available for InfoCom June 6-8.

Also Steve from Squeek lights said that their ground packages using pipe and base are limited to 10'.  Also, to be clear, that's 1.5" Sch 40 pipe and 50 # boom bases (not pipe and drape stuff).
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »

Thanks John, I guess I'll have to wait another week to see how close I am with my price guessing! 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »

PM me for Chauvet pricing.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 04:07:21 PM »

Thanks John, looking forward to it. 

FWIW Elation told me via their social media page that their photometric specifications for the seven series would be published on their website by the end of the month.  As of this moment on the second to last day of the month, they are not.  I check daily because I'm nothing if not obsessive.

Also FWIW, Scott the price you've cited for the seven series from B&H is for the larger Seven Par 19IP (19 x 25w emitters, 500w max, 56 lbs); my interest is the smaller 7IP with 7x25w emitters, 185w max, 11lbs.

There's a local (to me) production company selling off some second-hand JB Lighting A7 wash lights for a very attractive price.  Not IP rated, but it looks like they have some excellent features for a moving zoom wash with variable colour temp control (strangely only RGB).  Tempting as a very flexible addition to a relatively small inventory, but I'm still very interested in IP65 fixtures for front wash so some of the 7IP fixtures from Elation would round out that inventory nicely with their 7-in-1 emitters and IP rating.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »

For anyone following along at home, Elation have posted the photometric test report files for the Seven Par 7IP fixtures on their website. 
I have to say, they are WAY BEYOND the detail of the specs found in any other fixture in this price category that I've compared yet.  In fact, they're so detailed that I can actually get a reasonable idea of how they compare to other types of fixtures but there's a lot of information on the sheets that is over my head.  Hats off to Elation for that.

Here's a link for anyone interested.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 02:45:18 AM »

Hey Jeremy!
On a side note... check your PMs.
Cheers!
smile & wave...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 02:45:18 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.