ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a plan for a lighting upgrade  (Read 25369 times)

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: Making a plan for a lighting upgrade
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »

Thanks Jeff, I'm starting to come around to the strength-in-numbers approach too.  Gotta keep reminding myself that it's perfectly OK to have two or more fixtures pointed at the same area to increase brightness, even from multiple angles, without all the resulting comb-filtering that I have to worry about in audio.  Good to know about your par38 vs par64 rentals, thanks for that info. 

Good thoughts on the truss warming too, although that's likely where my Dotz Pars would end up before these next fixtures if anything.  But yes I'm trying to make this a logical, flexible addition to my inventory that will allow me to offer a basic stage wash package to add to the audio gigs I'm doing now, and give me something to practice chases/scenes/real world applications until such time that I'm ready to take the plunge into eye-candy stuff and the controllers that would go with it.  Hopefully by then I'll have more time under my belt dealing with deployment logistics that I can make a wise choice when that time comes.

Thanks everyone!  Anyone know a good Chauvet or Elation dealer in Western Canada?
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:10 AM »

Thanks everyone!  Anyone know a good Chauvet or Elation dealer in Western Canada?

I'm not sure if you found the answer to this question yet, but I live in Victoria, and purchase pretty much everything now from https://www.avshop.ca/. They carry both Chauvet and Elation, and they are very easy to work with!  :)

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

please delete
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:56:21 AM by Bradford "BJ" James »
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »

Hi Chris, thanks for the tip! 

I was hoping for someone out west so I could demo some options. I too shop with avshop, mostly so I don’t have to deal with customs hassles. They’ve been great, even when I had a box of cables stolen off my doorstep. They were quick to send another shipment while I made my claim with the courier.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »

....and no I haven’t settled on anything yet.  Spent the money I had set aside instead on some trunks, a new rack, and a new mixer (whoops) so I’m back to saving.  Seriously considering the Elation Fuze Z120IP, 2 per side.  I’ll update this thread as I go.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »

....and no I haven’t settled on anything yet.  Spent the money I had set aside instead on some trunks, a new rack, and a new mixer (whoops) so I’m back to saving.  Seriously considering the Elation Fuze Z120IP, 2 per side.  I’ll update this thread as I go.

Hey did you ever end up trying out the Elation SIXpar fixtures?

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »

Not yet Chris, but I've nearly recovered from my last episode of GAS (yay new mixer!) such that I can put this back on the agenda.  LOL.

I still feel the 15-degree beam angle might be the toughest hurdle for my use, I'd prefer something wider, or adjustable, but then again there are always light shaping filters.....  the 200IP is the one that's caught my attention as far as price/size/performance.

The Elation SixPar Z19IP would be great if the cost weren't so much more than the (admittedly only RGBW not RGBAW+UV) similar offerings from the Fuze series or Chauvet's Colorado Solo series, which all include motorized zoom.  Decisions decisions.... 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »

In case you haven't seen it yet there appears to be a SevenPar Series coming out.  That may either lead to great discounts on the SixPars or an even more augmented palette should you go the route of the newer units.

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »

Not yet Chris, but I've nearly recovered from my last episode of GAS (yay new mixer!) such that I can put this back on the agenda.  LOL.

I still feel the 15-degree beam angle might be the toughest hurdle for my use, I'd prefer something wider, or adjustable, but then again there are always light shaping filters.....  the 200IP is the one that's caught my attention as far as price/size/performance.

The Elation SixPar Z19IP would be great if the cost weren't so much more than the (admittedly only RGBW not RGBAW+UV) similar offerings from the Fuze series or Chauvet's Colorado Solo series, which all include motorized zoom.  Decisions decisions....

Oh, I know what you mean about GAS haha, I just pulled the trigger (finally) on two SRX818SPs! I totally agree with the beam angle... although... I just want to use them for chases as part of my mobile DJ business light shows, so a tighter beam might actually be cooler anyways. I currently use the ADJ dotz pars, like you.

In case you haven't seen it yet there appears to be a SevenPar Series coming out.  That may either lead to great discounts on the SixPars or an even more augmented palette should you go the route of the newer units.

I saw that awhile ago, yeah... lime green! I would probably cross my fingers for the SIXpars getting cheaper, but we'll have to see.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »

Just what I needed....more options!  RGBAW-UV-LG....it's a friggin alphabet soup! Lucky for me it's annual bonus time at my day-job next week.

Congrats on the new subs Chris, hopefully they improve your sound like you were hoping.  Intermodulation distortion is one of those things you don't know you're hearing until you hear it gone.  I think you'll like it.  If I find myself in a room that needs subs but not my beasts (Orbit Shifters), maybe I can rent them from you to help your ROI.

Yeah a tight beam in some haze or fog would be great for some punchy chases, but I'm getting tight on space in the van and storage space (allowing for all the audio toys I have in my future) so without getting too carried away I need the fixtures to be flexible, and a short-throw front stage wash would be tough at 15-degrees without a lot of units, hence my interest in zoomable. 

The other things is I'm still using luminaire for everything, which has been fine for my pars but might affect how much I can do with something with movement to it.  I haven't forgotten your advice about controllers first Jeff, just gotta walk before running and there's no shortage of software & controller options out there.  Avolites have recently caught my attention but haven't spent any time playing with the software yet.  Keep coming back to M-PC though, mostly for the cost-effective controller.

Borrowing some 500w par cans for a Canada Day gig this summer where they have a NEMA14-50R for me.  I'm fighting the temptation to just buy some conventional fresnels for their price/lumen ratio, but some venues I frequent have totally suitable front wash installed so a color-changing LED (especially with a motorized zoom) could still be useful on those gigs behind or beside the band.  Who knows, the hipsters out there might like the vintage look of some fresnels and barn doors up on the stage but then I'm always fighting with power, need to buy dimmers, mind the heat, replace bulbs, and they still can't sit outside overnight in a rain storm like the IP65 stuff I'm interested in.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.