ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 + S16 popping with shielded cat5e cable and ethercon connectors  (Read 19318 times)

Mark van Leeuwen

Re: X32 + S16 popping with shielded cat5e cable and ethercon connectors
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 01:37:01 AM »

Sounds like you made your own cable.  How did you test it?  Did you solder the drain wire to the shielded rj plug?  What kind of ends did you use (be brand and part specific here)?  Yournshield connection shouldn't rely on the ethercon connector.  You should be able to remove that and still have a solid path to ground via the drain wire.

Yes I made the cable. No special testing other than checking for working network connection with it between my laptop and switch.
It was a generic RJ45 CAT6A shielded connector bought off eBay, so I can't give you specific part number, sorry, but it is definitely shielded with a metal outer case. My standard RJ45 shielded connectors were too small for the heavy duty cable (7.5mm diameter) which is why I went with CAT6A connectors.

The drain wire is wrapped around the metal strain relief that is part of the connector. As I was able to prove continuity between the ethercon ends with a multimeter, I concluded there must be a solid path between them via the drain wire and therefore a path to chassis ground. Am I missing something?

This is the cable I used
https://www.swamp.net.au/swamp-heavy-duty-cat5e-ethernet-network-patch-cable-100m-roll
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:45:51 AM by Mark van Leeuwen »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 01:42:20 AM »

Yes I made the cable. No special testing other than checking for working network connection with it between my laptop and switch.
It was a generic RJ45 CAT6A shielded connector bought off eBay, so I can't give you specific part number, sorry, but it is definitely shielded with a metal outer case. My standard RJ45 shielded connectors were too small for the heavy duty cable (7.5mm diameter) which is why I went with CAT6A connectors.

The drain wire is wrapped around the metal strain relief that is part of the connector. As I was able to prove continuity between the ethercon ends with a multimeter, I concluded there must be a solid path between them via the drain wire and therefore a path to chassis ground. Am I missing something?

Yes, that connector is not attached properly.  You used the wrong connector for the cable and a non-standard attachment method for the connector.

Continuity is DC test, you are dealing with RF, high frequency AC.  Everything matters.   
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark van Leeuwen

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 01:47:57 AM »

Yes, that connector is not attached properly.  You used the wrong connector for the cable and a non-standard attachment method for the connector.

Can you explain why this is the wrong connector and non-standard attachment method?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 02:19:30 AM »

Can you explain why this is the wrong connector and non-standard attachment method?

You said you used a connector connector designed for Cat 6 and wrapped the ground wire around the jacket.  Did I not understand what you wrote?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark van Leeuwen

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 02:39:12 AM »

You said you used a connector connector designed for Cat 6 and wrapped the ground wire around the jacket.  Did I not understand what you wrote?

It is a CAT6A connector, but it is compatible with CAT5e.
The drain wire is not wrapped around the jacket. It is wrapped around the RJ45 strain relief. I think it is called a strain relief - it is metal part that extends from the RJ45 and is squeezed down onto the jacket to hold the RJ45 on more securely.

If that does not make sense, this video shows what I did with the drain wire. jump to about 3:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh7o99saQ4k

Mark Dawson

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »

I would try two things: 

1:) Try an alternate brand of shielded cable and shielded connector.   We use a ftp cable here with zero issues.

2:) I would gently solder the drain wire to the lug at both ends of the cable, rather than just wrapping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark van Leeuwen

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »

I would try two things: 

1:) Try an alternate brand of shielded cable and shielded connector.   We use a ftp cable here with zero issues.

2:) I would gently solder the drain wire to the lug at both ends of the cable, rather than just wrapping it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I can hire the Behringer approved Klark Teknik snake for a couple of weekends.

Could an ESD occur with an input or output XLR cable that also causes the X32 and S16 to lose sync?

As mentioned earlier, we do have an XLR out connected to a spltter using an XLR to component audio adaptor cable (Hosa).
There's also an XLR out connected to a video streaming camera using an XLR to 3.5mm adaptor cable.
AFAIK, both those adaptor cables are unshielded and do not have transformer isolation.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »

Cat6 connector with cat5e wire?

Maybe just buy the correct actual cable assembly? You spent thousands on the mixer and stage box. Don't cheap out on the rest of the data system.

I use a TMB Proplex with my GLD. Never a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:58:32 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I can hire the Behringer approved Klark Teknik snake for a couple of weekends.

Could an ESD occur with an input or output XLR cable that also causes the X32 and S16 to lose sync?

As mentioned earlier, we do have an XLR out connected to a spltter using an XLR to component audio adaptor cable (Hosa).
There's also an XLR out connected to a video streaming camera using an XLR to 3.5mm adaptor cable.
AFAIK, both those adaptor cables are unshielded and do not have transformer isolation.

Check to see if the camera has phantom power applied to the 3.5mm input.  Phantom will charge up any output coupling capacitors; when they reach discharge voltage they'll put a DC spike in the signal (and to the ground plane of the console).

You might do a search for the work Dan Mortensen and another engineer did with a BBQ lighter... remove the protective tip to expose the piezo element on a fuel-free lighter.  Spark up any exposed metal on the mixer or S16 and see what happens.  If this doesn't induce a drop out, the problem is not the CAT STP cable or its terminations...

My experience with UTP was that the pop was not like gunshot (it wasn't alarmingly loud, just irritating).  That level makes me think of a phantom power issue somewhere on the input side.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark van Leeuwen

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »

Cat6 connector with cat5e wire?

Maybe just buy the correct actual cable assembly? You spent thousands on the mixer and stage box. Don't cheap out on the rest of the data system.

I don't believe there's an issue with using CAT6A connectors on CAT5e cable in our case.
https://www.platinumtools.com/sections/blog/datacom/can-a-cat6-connector-work-on-a-cat5e-cable/
The main issue mentioned there is whether the CAT5e is physically too small. Our cable is 7.5mm diameter with 24AWG conductors.

I don't believe I "cheaped out" on the CAT5e cable. It is sold specifically for this kind of application and cost considerably more than standard  STP CAT5e.
I could have spent more on the RJ45 shielded connectors, no doubt, but could not find shielded CAT5e connectors that fit this size cable. I went with the CAT6A connectors because they fitted perfectly.

I am not ruling out the possibility that the cable is faulty, but I doubt the type of RJ45 connector is the issue here.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.