ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 + S16 popping with shielded cat5e cable and ethercon connectors  (Read 19320 times)

Diego Armando Fasotti

Re: X32 + S16 popping with shielded cat5e cable and ethercon connectors
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 06:37:04 AM »

Hi! i have the same problem here. Any solution to the pops? The ethercon terminals with shielded cat5E should fix it? I think my cable is shielded, how can i view it?

Thanks.for all this information.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 10:45:55 AM »

Hi! i have the same problem here. Any solution to the pops? The ethercon terminals with shielded cat5E should fix it? I think my cable is shielded, how can i view it?

Please go to your profile ang change your name to your real name to conform to the posting rules of these forums.

Admin

Diego Armando Fasotti

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »

Please go to your profile ang change your name to your real name to conform to the posting rules of these forums.

Admin

Ready, thanks.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »

If you're not already using a shielded ethercon cable between your mixer and snake that should be your first step. It is well documented that unshielded cables or cables without ethercon ends are not suitable for use with these devices.

If you are using an ethercon cable, test for continuity between the connector shells on either end of the cable. If there is no continuity, take one of the ends off and see if there is a protective foil (usually shaded light blue or silver) wrapped around the twisted pair bundle and if there is a drain wire (bare tinned wire separate from the twisted pairs). The drain wire should be soldered to the ehtercon shell on both ends, so do that and then re-test your cable.
If your cable has neither the foil or drain wire, you need a new cable. If your FOH run is 50m or less, get the Behringer/Midas/Klark-Teknik branded spool and it'll be guaranteed to work. If you're wanting to save a few bucks there are cheaper options, but you'll have to verify with the vendor that it is indeed shielded and properly grounded.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »

If you're not already using a shielded ethercon cable between your mixer and snake that should be your first step. It is well documented that unshielded cables or cables without ethercon ends are not suitable for use with these devices.

If you are using an ethercon cable, test for continuity between the connector shells on either end of the cable. If there is no continuity, take one of the ends off and see if there is a protective foil (usually shaded light blue or silver) wrapped around the twisted pair bundle and if there is a drain wire (bare tinned wire separate from the twisted pairs). The drain wire should be soldered to the ehtercon shell on both ends, so do that and then re-test your cable.
If your cable has neither the foil or drain wire, you need a new cable. If your FOH run is 50m or less, get the Behringer/Midas/Klark-Teknik branded spool and it'll be guaranteed to work. If you're wanting to save a few bucks there are cheaper options, but you'll have to verify with the vendor that it is indeed shielded and properly grounded.
+

This is all good advice.

Kevin J Williams

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »

Had a similar issue at a church install recently and added ART phantom power supplies to the condensers and turned off phantom power on those channels. No pops since then and the client is happy!

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2019, 09:49:28 AM »

Had a similar issue at a church install recently and added ART phantom power supplies to the condensers and turned off phantom power on those channels. No pops since then and the client is happy!

Hope this helps!

Kevin

To be clear, phantom power does not have anything to do with the pops experienced in the X/M32 digital transport system. I suspect you had other problems which were solved by the external 48V units.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »

To be clear, phantom power does not have anything to do with the pops experienced in the X/M32 digital transport system. I suspect you had other problems which were solved by the external 48V units.

As Tim said - true, most of the X32 popping issue happened with no mics/DI's connected, or with mostly (all?) dynamic mics.  Two separate issues.  Read up on ESD and X32 pops.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.