ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rustoleum 9100 System Paint opinions.. or something else?  (Read 6037 times)

Ben Mehlman

Rustoleum 9100 System Paint opinions.. or something else?
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »

Has anyone used the Rust-oleum 9100 semi-gloss black? It's a two-part epoxy with a semi-gloss finish.
I've been using various paints for speaker refinishing, but never a two part system, this one seems well rated.

Looking for experiences and or alternate options for this.
I want a thick-ish paint that will give a nice professional texture with just a foam roller.. a spray booth is not practical for me.

Thanks!

Mal Brown

Re: Rustoleum 9100 System Paint opinions.. or something else?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »

Has anyone used the Rust-oleum 9100 semi-gloss black? It's a two-part epoxy with a semi-gloss finish.
I've been using various paints for speaker refinishing, but never a two part system, this one seems well rated.

Looking for experiences and or alternate options for this.
I want a thick-ish paint that will give a nice professional texture with just a foam roller.. a spray booth is not practical for me.

Thanks!

Have you tried DuraTex ?  For me it has been a good coating and all it outgasses is water vapor during the curing.  I get mine from Leland Crook at SpeakerHardware.com
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Ben Mehlman

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »

Have you tried DuraTex ?  For me it has been a good coating and all it outgasses is water vapor during the curing.  I get mine from Leland Crook at SpeakerHardware.com

Thanks.  I have't tried Duratex but my understanding is that it's more similar a truck bed liner finish.. not a hard catalyzed paint finish.  The boxes I'm painting.. EAW and EV boxes, come from the factory with a catalyzed paint finish and I don't expect to match the original texture but I'm looking to keep them as close to the original look as possible.

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »

Gotcha.  The texture of DuraTex is mostly based on the nap of the roller used .  Tight nap, smooth finish, loose nap, you get the popcorn effect.  I went right on some bass bins I built.  Need to redo my la400's this winter.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Roll

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:01:29 AM »

Gotcha.  The texture of DuraTex is mostly based on the nap of the roller used .  Tight nap, smooth finish, loose nap, you get the popcorn effect.  I went right on some bass bins I built.  Need to redo my la400's this winter.

Is it necessary to sand the existing finish before application or can it go right over what's in place?
Thinking of doing this to my subs.

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

A friend of mine just refinished several of his cabinets with "Obsidian Duraflex". This is what JBL uses.

It turned out very good. Looks factory done. Not sure what nap roller he used, but can find out.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »

Is it necessary to sand the existing finish before application or can it go right over what's in place?
Thinking of doing this to my subs.

John

I restored a few sets of EAW SB180R cabinets and used the Duratex on top of the existing finish (which was pretty beat-up). Excellent results, and the stuff is nearly bulletproof. No odor and very easy to work with, as well.

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »

Not having a paint booth and fume capture / mitigation at my house.  The outgassing of water vapor only is justification enough...  some products out there are horrific in y outgassing during curing.  If you are Harmon, you can afford the technology to do it right.  Me... not so much...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 01:42:51 AM »

A friend of mine just refinished several of his cabinets with "Obsidian Duraflex". This is what JBL uses.
Obsidian Duraflex is a 2 component polyurea finish trademarked by JBL. Some very specialized equipment is needed to apply polyureas, because mixing of the base and catalyst happen at the "nozzle", so to speak. It makes legacy 2K Polane speaker finishes seem quaint.

Double down on the veracity of this friends' refinish.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »

I restored a few sets of EAW SB180R cabinets and used the Duratex on top of the existing finish (which was pretty beat-up). Excellent results, and the stuff is nearly bulletproof. No odor and very easy to work with, as well.
We've used Duratex over EV cabinets, JBL cabinets, and EAW cabinets and the finish is very good. We use a low-pile roller for a thin finish and the factory texture is maintained. Very easy to work with, cleans up in a snap, looks great and it's durable. What more do you want?

John Chiara

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

Thanks.  I have't tried Duratex but my understanding is that it's more similar a truck bed liner finish.. not a hard catalyzed paint finish.  The boxes I'm painting.. EAW and EV boxes, come from the factory with a catalyzed paint finish and I don't expect to match the original texture but I'm looking to keep them as close to the original look as possible.
Agreeing Williams make the same paint that EAW used in all the boxes I have. I had to drive to Ct. to get it. Not sure of a part #.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »

Obsidian Duraflex is a 2 component polyurea finish trademarked by JBL. Some very specialized equipment is needed to apply polyureas, because mixing of the base and catalyst happen at the "nozzle", so to speak. It makes legacy 2K Polane speaker finishes seem quaint.

Double down on the veracity of this friends' refinish.

He used a roller. I saw the finished cabs. They looked very good.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 06:17:32 PM »

He used a roller. I saw the finished cabs. They looked very good.

Did you see the JBL-branded containers? I am not doubting whatever finish he applied was done with a roller and with fine results. I doubt that it was genuine OEM polyurea..

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »

Did you see the JBL-branded containers? I am not doubting whatever finish he applied was done with a roller and with fine results. I doubt that it was genuine OEM polyurea..

I got it directly from JBL since I'm a Harman dealer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.