ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ashly NE8800 vs Symetrix Jupiter 8  (Read 6390 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Ashly NE8800 vs Symetrix Jupiter 8
« on: September 01, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »

Forward:

I have a church needs 8 outputs processed (monitors, delayed mains, 70v system, etc). Their old peavy processor got hit by lightning

Looked around for a cheapish solution. Both the Ashly & Symetrix look like good units and are reasonably priced.

I have installed the Ashly before and I like the unit a lot; there are a few things I wish it could do better & I think the Jupiter does, but all in all, it's a great unit. (perhaps I should write a review).

I've downloaded the Symetrix Jupiter software and it seems like it's the perfect fit for a ton of uses especially given the super reasonable pricing for an 8x8 processor with so much power configurability. What I don't like is the "app" naming of 'preset' configurations that are locked in, they have an editor to make new configurations, I wish they would just let us integrators configure the unit (utilize the DSP resources) as we see fit... I also don't like the 18mo warranty vs Ashly's five.

Edit: the Symetrix Solus 8x8 & Composer software allows for full customization of the DSP resources with only a small price increase.

Both processors will do the job.

----

Questions:

-Thoughts on the NE8800 vs Jupiter8?

-Has anyone used Symetrix stuff?
-Honestly, I hadn't heard of them before, are they good? (I might have heard about their feedback destroyer being one of the 'best')

-Does Ashly honor the warranty no matter how many 'hands' it has been exchanged to?

----

I have some options, I have a used NE8800 that I could save them money and if Ashly honors the warranty is still better than the Jupiter's warranty. On the other hand, a new Jupiter would save even more money. Both processors will do the job.

Option A1)
new $2.2k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty

Option A2)
used $1.5k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty (minus ~2yrs [unknown])

Option B1)
new $1.5k
Jupiter 8
1.5-year warranty 3-year
http://www.symetrix.co/support/knowledge-base/?faq_id=5102

Option D)
new 1.8k
Solus 8x8
3-year warranty
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:07:07 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

duane massey

Re: Ashly NE8800 vs Symetrix Jupiter 8
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:18:18 PM »

I have installed a far amount of Jupiter units, and have had zero issues, other than a glitch when someone else upgraded the firmware. Symetrix tech support was immediate via phone, even on a weekend.
Sounds good, not easy for a visiting sound guy to mess with, very cost-effective.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »

I have installed a far amount of Jupiter units, and have had zero issues, other than a glitch when someone else upgraded the firmware. Symetrix tech support was immediate via phone, even on a weekend.
Sounds good, not easy for a visiting sound guy to mess with, very cost-effective.

Thanks, that's kinda what I wanted to hear; a nod in Symetrix's direction.

Other than the 3vs5yr warranty and no iPad/phone app seems like a great little DSP system.

I'm reading the help in their software, fantastic tool, very thorough. I think this might be my new most cost-effective solution for a lot of scenarios.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »

We have used a bunch of Symetrix over the years.  While not as powerful as QSys, it's reliable and great for speaker processing.  The Prism seems to be the sweet spot, with Dante and the software is not limited to apps. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 01:35:44 AM »

Forward:

I have a church needs 8 outputs processed (monitors, delayed mains, 70v system, etc). Their old peavy processor got hit by lightning

Looked around for a cheapish solution. Both the Ashly & Symetrix look like good units and are reasonably priced.

I have installed the Ashly before and I like the unit a lot; there are a few things I wish it could do better & I think the Jupiter does, but all in all, it's a great unit. (perhaps I should write a review).

I've downloaded the Symetrix Jupiter software and it seems like it's the perfect fit for a ton of uses especially given the super reasonable pricing for an 8x8 processor with so much power configurability. What I don't like is the "app" naming of 'preset' configurations that are locked in, they have an editor to make new configurations, I wish they would just let us integrators configure the unit (utilize the DSP resources) as we see fit... I also don't like the 18mo warranty vs Ashly's five.

Edit: the Symetrix Solus 8x8 & Composer software allows for full customization of the DSP resources with only a small price increase.

Both processors will do the job.

----

Questions:

-Thoughts on the NE8800 vs Jupiter8?

-Has anyone used Symetrix stuff?
-Honestly, I hadn't heard of them before, are they good? (I might have heard about their feedback destroyer being one of the 'best')

-Does Ashly honor the warranty no matter how many 'hands' it has been exchanged to?

----

I have some options, I have a used NE8800 that I could save them money and if Ashly honors the warranty is still better than the Jupiter's warranty. On the other hand, a new Jupiter would save even more money. Both processors will do the job.

Option A1)
new $2.2k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty

Option A2)
used $1.5k
Ashly NE8800
5-year warranty (minus ~2yrs [unknown])

Option B1)
new $1.5k
Jupiter 8
1.5-year warranty 3-year
http://www.symetrix.co/support/knowledge-base/?faq_id=5102

Option D)
new 1.8k
Solus 8x8
3-year warranty

If you have well controlled temperature then the Symetrix can work very well.  They do have very low maximum ambient operating temperature ratings (86 degrees Fahrenheit) and we have had significant issues with them in arenas and some other venues after a few years, Ashly and BSS just seem to keep working.  We have quite a few customers who are just now replacing first generation, greenface BSS Soundweb.  Most of those are 15 or more years old at this point. 

Ashly NE series has the highest maximum ambient operating temperature ratings that I have found, 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  It is quite a bit more limited in capability/flexibility than either Symetrix or BSS while QSYS probably has the greatest capability going right now in terms of programming and control capability.  In my experience Ashly has the best phone support of any of the DSP manufacturers that I have dealt with. 

BSS is rated at 95 degrees Fahrenheit maximum. 

I don't know the temp for QSYS, have yet to need to find it.

The BSS BLU-100 would also fit into a similar price range to other options that you listed above. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »

If you have well controlled temperature then the Symetrix can work very well.  They do have very low maximum ambient operating temperature ratings (86 degrees Fahrenheit) and we have had significant issues with them in arenas and some other venues after a few years, Ashly and BSS just seem to keep working.  We have quite a few customers who are just now replacing first generation, greenface BSS Soundweb.  Most of those are 15 or more years old at this point. 

Ashly NE series has the highest maximum ambient operating temperature ratings that I have found, 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  It is quite a bit more limited in capability/flexibility than either Symetrix or BSS while QSYS probably has the greatest capability going right now in terms of programming and control capability.  In my experience Ashly has the best phone support of any of the DSP manufacturers that I have dealt with. 

BSS is rated at 95 degrees Fahrenheit maximum. 

I don't know the temp for QSYS, have yet to need to find it.

The BSS BLU-100 would also fit into a similar price range to other options that you listed above. 

Lee

I'm so glad you posted this up!

To me, with semiconductor devices being able to run up to 70 or 80 C (158-176 F) quite easily the 86 F max operating temp is absurd  ???

That insanely low temp is definitely a deal breaker for me.  :(

Specifically, this venue doesn't run AC when they aren't using it and the unit would be in a closet without very much AC ventilation. In general, I'm in FL where buildings are hot quite a bit, especially in small non ventilated rooms with amp racks...

That's just too bad, I was hoping for a more flexible/capable device than Ashly in a similar price bracket.

Thanks for a rundown on the different companies, their capabilities, and their support.

To summarize (1= best, 4 = worst):

Flexibility/Capability:
1 - Qsys
2 - BSS
3 - Symetrix (+ more processing blocks)
3 - Ashly (+iPad mixing app)

Price:
1 - Symetrix (1.2k)
2 - BSS (1.7k)
3 - Ashly (2.2k)
4 - Qsys (lots of overhead to pay for [though 24/7 support is schweet!])

Robustness (temp range):
1 - Ashly (122 F)
1 - Qsys 110f (122 F)
3 - BSS (95 F)
5 - Symetrix (86 F) [nearly unusable in my area]

Warranty:
1 - Ashly (5-yr)
1 - BSS BLU-100 (5-yr)
2 - Qsys (3-yr)
2 - Symetrix (3-yr)

Ease of install:
1 - Symetrix Jupiter (preset configurations)
2 - Ashly NE8800 (less options thus easier)
3 - BLU-100 (plenty of options, but less than Qsys)
4 - Qsys (infinite options)

Total Points (lower is better):
10 - Ashly
11 - BSS
12 - Qsys
12 - Symetrix

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »

I'm so glad you posted this up!

To me, with semiconductor devices being able to run up to 70 or 80 C (158-176 F) quite easily the 86 F max operating temp is absurd  ???

That insanely low temp is definitely a deal breaker for me.  :(

Specifically, this venue doesn't run AC when they aren't using it and the unit would be in a closet without very much AC ventilation. In general, I'm in FL where buildings are hot quite a bit, especially in small non ventilated rooms with amp racks...

That's just too bad, I was hoping for a more flexible/capable device than Ashly in a similar price bracket.

Thanks for a rundown on the different companies, their capabilities, and their support.

To summarize (1= best, 4 = worst):

Flexibility/Capability:
1 - Qsys
2 - BSS
3 - Symetrix (+ more processing blocks)
3 - Ashly (+iPad mixing app)

Price:
1 - Symetrix (1.2k)
2 - BSS (1.7k)
3 - Ashly (2.2k)
4 - Qsys (lots of overhead to pay for [though 24/7 support is schweet!])

Robustness (temp range):
1 - Ashly (122 F)
1 - Qsys 110f (122 F)
3 - BSS (95 F)
5 - Symetrix (86 F) [nearly unusable in my area]

Warranty:
1 - Ashly (5-yr)
1 - BSS BLU-100 (5-yr)
2 - Qsys (3-yr)
2 - Symetrix (3-yr)

Ease of install:
1 - Symetrix Jupiter (preset configurations)
2 - Ashly NE8800 (less options thus easier)
3 - BLU-100 (plenty of options, but less than Qsys)
4 - Qsys (infinite options)

Total Points (lower is better):
10 - Ashly
11 - BSS
12 - Qsys
12 - Symetrix

Nathan,
Keep in mind that the temp rating is ambient, not internal at the chip.  It is all about cooling which also includes airflow through and around each unit in the rack. 
Most Ethernet switches are only rated around 120 deg F or a little higher until you get into an extreme service rating of some type. 

I could not find any DSP systems rated higher than the Ashly units when looking to try to match extreme service rated switches.  Glad to see the QSYS is right there as well.  I have not needed to place any in extreme service locations yet so had not looked at their ambient spec.

Good luck on your project.

Lee

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 02:03:03 PM »

Nathan,
Keep in mind that the temp rating is ambient, not internal at the chip.  It is all about cooling which also includes airflow through and around each unit in the rack. 
Most Ethernet switches are only rated around 120 deg F or a little higher until you get into an extreme service rating of some type. 

Good luck on your project.

Lee

True, though I meant the 70-80c rated chip components should allow for higher ambient temperatures.

For me, even in cooled buildings, the temperature differential between the thermostat and the ceiling can be 10-15* F.

My house regularly gets to 83* F when I don't have the AC running.

I just find that 86 F is too close a threshold. 96 F would make me feel much more comfortable.

Thanks, I'll suggest the Ashly and go from there. (they don't need anything more than PEQ, delay, HPF, & limiting).

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »

I've installed a lot of Ashly gear over the years (including the one in question) and I have yet to have a service call related to any of their gear besides programming tweaks. I have a few of them installed in fairly harsh environments (water park, schools in rooms with little to no climate control, etc) and they have been rock solid. Ashly is my go-to processor the majority of the time unless I need the control/configurability/etc of something like Qsys.

Symetrix, on the other hand, is something I would be OK with never touching again. While their tech support is nice, I had to utilize it on way too many occasions. I've pulled too many of their failed DSP's out of fairly new systems to ever consider installing one again. So many headaches...

Maybe it was just my luck (or lack of), as I know a lot of people that like the stuff. But all of the Qsys and Ashly that I replaced the Symetrix with has been running like clockwork.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »

Good feedback everyone, thanks!

Client went with a new Ashly so we're sitting pretty :)

Good to know Ashly remains my top pick. Still, I wish it could do more of what Symetrix can do *sigh*

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 25 queries.