ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Worn connections on mics, any suggestions?  (Read 6758 times)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Worn connections on mics, any suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:32 AM »

For a last ditch solution to the problem, try several different brands or series of XLR connectors.  There are subtle differences between Switchcraft, Neutrik X, and Neutrik XX series, for instance.  You might find one that still latches adequately.  Neutrik also makes a female connector that has a locking ring to prevent it from being unlatched (NC3FX-SPEC), although that counts on the latch still working.

Sennheiser 421s always seemed fussy about this, and my E-V RE-20s never seem to latch fully with X-series connectors (although they're never hand held, so it's not much of a problem).

GTD

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:59 AM »

I would suggest you poke a screwdriver through the diaphragm of the mic and claim that they mysteriously quit working.  Time for new mics! ;)

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »

Hi, I have a church that I work with every now and then that has a problem that i have not come across before (even with old beat up 58's).
The church owns several AKG D3800 (tri power series) mics that are approx 10-12 years old and get regular use during a number of services throughout the week.
Over the years the metal around XLR connection on each mic has worn and now will no longer lock, allowing the cable to fall out (even with new cables and connectors) or the connection to become intermittant.
I have suggested that the time may have come to retire these workhorses but they are in general, still in good order and $$$ are always an issue.
I have suggested using black tape and taping between the base of the mic and over part of the cable connector but they are not to keen on that.

Any suggestions would be greatly recieved

Cheers
Also, do the mics have a locking screw hole like shures? If so, just use that every time. It would be annoying, but that could hold the cable in place and not look out of place.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 02:30:57 AM »

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  New mic's are the best route but I'll give some of these ideas a whirl in the meantime.

Cheers all.

Chris Gruber

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  New mic's are the best route but I'll give some of these ideas a whirl in the meantime.

Cheers all.

SM58's 1 at a time.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »

Are they willing to pay to have them fixed?  If so, take the mics to a jeweler and have them braze on a bit of metal to replace the worn off bit.  A little touch up with a file and they should be fine.

If they're not willing to pay then they deserve broken mics.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.