ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Digital console Clock??  (Read 15003 times)

Al Rettich

Yamaha Digital console Clock??
« on: August 25, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »

So I hear that using a external word clock that it sounds better.. Just recently bought a yamaha, wondering what word clock to purchase.. Not going to buy a Big Ben, but wondering if there is another great external word clock.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Yamaha Digital console Clock??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »

So I hear that using a external word clock that it sounds better.. Just recently bought a yamaha, wondering what word clock to purchase.. Not going to buy a Big Ben, but wondering if there is another great external word clock.

The Placebo-foo is very strong.

See if you like the taste for less money:

https://www.blacklionaudio.com/store/products/clocking/micro-clock-mkii/

Streets for MAP of $299.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/244305-Rosendahl-NANOCLOCKS-GL

Streets for $2k.

You can spend double that if you don't like the economy or mid-priced Placebo.  I've heard both used and can't tell you there was anything audible between them...

The guys that use external clocks don't seem to rave about a particular clock, only that whatever they plug in will make the mix full of Automagical Wholesome Creamy Goodness.  I had one BE swear that his clock made this huge audible difference in the way the M7 sounded, all while the M7 was flashing "check clock source" and running on internal clock.  YMMV.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:10:38 PM »

Which Yamaha did you buy?

We bought a Big Ben because a guest engineer would not accept an M7 without it. Used it for that one festival and it hasn't been turned on since. That said, about a half dozen engineers have come through and noticed the turned off Big Ben in the FOH drive and commented... "You have Yamaha desks huh?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:27:45 PM »

I can tell you that the guys that proselytize the external clock are the same guys that can't tell you why comb filtering is bad, or how a dual 15 and horn cabinet can't possibly have a good off axis response.

They spend money, plug it in, and say "wow"! It's just like the internet said it would be!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:52:40 AM »

This again?  Save your money.

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 02:28:51 AM »

So what's wrong with the sound of whatever Yamaha you bought?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »

-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 11:02:14 AM »

Recently I deployed a system Avid Profile AES out to Yamaha QL1 traffic mixer, the return snake was Dante to RIO 3224, out AES to the amplifiers. Clocked the Profile from the QL1.

A few times over the course of the weekend I was asked about the clocking scheme, and eventually it would lead to the question "How does it sound?" My answer: "It sounds synchronized". This is what an external word clock in audio is for. Synchronizing multiple pieces of equipment together so digital interface will work properly.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 04:53:53 PM »

It was cheaper to buy a Big Ben for one festival than simply rent in a 5D ?  Been a long time since I had to put up with that silliness but I do remember more than a few touring engineers carying their own boutique clicks to make my 5D sound better. Less than half forgot to switch the clock source on the console but not much less than half. Save your money for stuff that actually makes money.

We bought a Big Ben because a guest engineer would not accept an M7 without it. Used it for that one festival and it hasn't been turned on since. That said, about a half dozen engineers have come through and noticed the turned off Big Ben in the FOH drive and commented... "You have Yamaha desks huh?"

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:39:11 PM »

It was cheaper to buy a Big Ben for one festival than simply rent in a 5D ?  Been a long time since I had to put up with that silliness but I do remember more than a few touring engineers carying their own boutique clicks to make my 5D sound better. Less than half forgot to switch the clock source on the console but not much less than half. Save your money for stuff that actually makes money.
I do forget the details as I didn't do the advance. We had a 5D already, but it may have already been slated for monitor world. I think the BE sold the usage of the clock during the advance as something we would really benefit from owning. Heck, someone just sold Al the same line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:39:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.