ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley sub choices for new venue - DBH218 or TH412  (Read 18495 times)

Ash Priba

Re: Danley sub choices for new venue - DBH218 or TH412
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »

VERY often we see the idea of "different subs covering different freq ranges"

While this may "seem" like a good idea, it is VERY hard to actually do.  The freq response of different subs are not flat, the phase response is not the same etc.

I thought this might be the case. It's good to get confirmation that it's generally not a good idea.

----

Ivan, may I know why you picked 2 x BC218 instead of 3 x DBH218.

I would think with 3 x DBH218 we have better control over the array (increase forward directivity and less side and rear impact).

Is the BC218 that much better in SQ (transient, punch, extension, etc) over the DBH218? I don't think you were chasing after SPL, we should have more than enough with 3 x DBH218.

---

There are 2 options for 2 x BC218. Please see attached images:

Alt A thoughts:
1. DJ may experience premature heavenly ascension. Would you DJ comfortably with 2 x BC218's at your rear?
2. Very little LF rear rejection to the stage above. May present a problem with live bands and open mics.
3. We will probably create a false wall around the BC218 for aesthetics. There's a chance it will shake and rattle over time.

Alt B thoughts:
1. The crescent opening of the BC218 is enclosed by the DJ platform (concrete). Is this an issue?
2. DJ eye level is approx 9ft 4in (285cm) high. Might this be uncomfortably high when viewed from the dance floor?
3. Better LF rejection to the stage above.

I assume Alt B is preferable if DJ height can be tolerated.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:38:22 PM by Ash Priba »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »

----

Ivan, may I know why you picked 2 x BC218 instead of 3 x DBH218.

I would think with 3 x DBH218 we have better control over the array (increase forward directivity and less side and rear impact).

I choose the BC218 because the BC218 has lower extension, higher sensitivity etc.  You would also be using the same cabinets without trying to get them to work together.

You would need fewer amplifiers and DSP channels (as compared to using the SPUDS and DBH218s), and less wiring and less setup/alignment.

As a "general rule", the "eyeball" configuration offers lower extension (option A), while option B has a little more "punch".

Either configuration will be more than enough for your room.

I would choose one setup over the other based on the space available.

The DJ would love it either way.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »

I certainly don't want to ruffle feathers here, but if a BC218 is louder than a TH118, two of those (either one really) seems like quite a bit of sub for a room that size to me.

I would think that much sub would liquefy bones in such a small space ;)  Danley subs are not to be taken lightly :)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »

A couple of TH 118 in that place would be more than adequate.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »

I certainly don't want to ruffle feathers here, but if a BC218 is louder than a TH118, two of those (either one really) seems like quite a bit of sub for a room that size to me.

I would think that much sub would liquefy bones in such a small space ;)  Danley subs are not to be taken lightly :)
"liquefing people" is the whole idea :)

Yes a BC218 is quite a bit louder and goes much lower than a TH118

When you experience true, deep low freq, it is something you want more and more of.

It gives you a "special feeling" in certain parts of your body.  Some people really like this-wink wink nod nod

Somebody put this up at a show I did a little while back.  He said his inspiration was what he saw the night before.  Apparently it made an impression on him.  I didn't see it :(

Of course no nudity was allowed, but 3 pieces of electrical tape seemed to be acceptable----
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ash Priba

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »

I choose the BC218 because the BC218 has lower extension, higher sensitivity etc.  You would also be using the same cabinets without trying to get them to work together.

As a "general rule", the "eyeball" configuration offers lower extension (option A), while option B has a little more "punch".

Either configuration will be more than enough for your room.

To reconfirm one last time Ivan, you are not worried about the limited rear rejection (protecting the stage) of 2 x BC218 vs the higher control of 3 x DBH218?

I would choose option B with the BC218 (under the DJ). The 2 x BC218 will be enclosed in a 4" thick concrete box. 

Are you suggesting this concrete box would be enough to control the rear leakage of 2 x BC218 towards the upper stage, such that I would not need 3 x DBH218 and associated LF processing?

...if a BC218 is louder than a TH118, two of those (either one really) seems like quite a bit of sub for a room that size to me. I would think that much sub would liquefy bones in such a small space

Are there any lounge/clubs in the world (of a similar size) that uses multiple BC subs? We might be the first.... :o

This is 2 x BC218 sub for 250 people.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:15:44 PM by Ash Priba »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 12:44:32 AM »

With a band, the rearward lobe of subs under the stage will be appreciable.  Your concrete enclosure will help with some mechanical transfer.  I would also endeavor to make the stage as rigid as possible and put baffles under the rest of it so that standing waves don't develop.  Playing on a floppy stage with subs under it is miserable.  I do it once a week.  All you can hear is indistinct rumble and it's hard to get a groove going.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:24 AM »

Ryan Davis

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »

To reconfirm one last time Ivan, you are not worried about the limited rear rejection (protecting the stage) of 2 x BC218 vs the higher control of 3 x DBH218?

I would choose option B with the BC218 (under the DJ). The 2 x BC218 will be enclosed in a 4" thick concrete box. 

Are you suggesting this concrete box would be enough to control the rear leakage of 2 x BC218 towards the upper stage, such that I would not need 3 x DBH218 and associated LF processing?

Are there any lounge/clubs in the world (of a similar size) that uses multiple BC subs? We might be the first.... :o

This is 2 x BC218 sub for 250 people.
The BC subs have the most rear rejection of any Danley sub.  HOWEVER-that is in an open space (outside-away from reflections).

When you stick a sub (any sub) or try to make a electronic directional sub, inside a room and close to a boundary-all sorts of things start to change.  I don't know of any program that can model it properly.

4" thick concrete would do a very good job of "containing" a lot of the bass energy.  BE SURE to leave enough room around the cabinet so that you can easily get it in and out, if you should ever need service.  An inch in every dimension might be a good target.  Don't forget to allow room in the back for the NL4 connector and wire.

What makes you think the DBH218 would have more directional properties?

"Control" and "reduce" are both terms that can have different meanings to different people.  It depends on how much is considered.

I am not aware of where all of the products go.  I only hear about some of them.  I have personally taken 2 BC415s into 1,000 people EDM shows and impressed everybody.

For that room, 2 BC218s (properly powered) would be beyond stunning and would bring smiles to everybody.  Except the bartenders who are trying to keeps the glasses on the shelves----------

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »

I would say Alt A would not be good to DJ in front of the subs. Too much bass if the DJ is doing real mixing. Better to position the subs under the stage in an enclosure.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.