ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley sub choices for new venue - DBH218 or TH412  (Read 18505 times)

Ash Priba

Danley sub choices for new venue - DBH218 or TH412
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »

Hello all. Our venue size is 36ft wide by 82ft long. Consisting of a main floor and mezzanine. See attached image.

There will be 2 stages:
1. Main floor for local/resident DJ or small bands.
2. Upper stage for bigger live gigs or DJs.

The type of music can accomodate everything from EDM to Live gigs across all genres.

---------

The mains are Danley 2 x SH50. Fills are SHMicro.

The DJ will be on a concrete platform, below which are the main sub array.

---------

So the sub choices are (constrained by space available):
A. 3 x TH118 (the most musical, best SQ from what I've been reading on this forum).
B. 2 or 3 x DBH218
C. 2 or 3 x TH412

Please see attached image. What would you suggest.

Other consideration:
D. 1 or 2 BC415 or BC218 behind the DJ but this would probably deafen the DJ and overkill for our space.
E. We've also considered 2 x J1-94 but they will probably shake the building off from its foundation.

I appreciate the advice.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:44:55 AM by Ash Priba »

Ash Priba

Re: Danley sub choices for new venue - 2 (or 3) DBH218 or TH412
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:25 AM »

To clarify. I am in touch with the local Danley distributor and if greenlit, this will probably be the first Danley install in my country so we are both learning the ropes. Would appreciate input from Danley veterans or from Danley themselves. I can attach the danley direct file if needed.

ps. Should I post as well in the Live Audio and/or Subwoofer forum?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:36:54 AM by Ash Priba »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:59 AM »

To clarify. I am in touch with the local Danley distributor and if greenlit, this will probably be the first Danley install in my country so we are both learning the ropes. Would appreciate input from Danley veterans or from Danley themselves. I can attach the danley direct file if needed.

More appropriate in the Install forum, actually.  This thread may get moved there by the moderators.

You can contact Danley directly.  Ivan Beaver is the technical support guy and a contributor to these forums as well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:13:38 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 02:31:01 AM »

If this is the first install in your country I'm sure that any technical help you require Danley will be more than pleased to supply.  As Tim pointed out Ivan and more occasionally Tom, frequent these forums and as such can tell you exactly what will match appropriately.  Good luck.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Danley sub choices for new venue - DBH218 or TH412
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:29:41 AM »

Here are some thoughts.

The BC412 is a great punch sub-VERY surprising for its size.

However it does not go low enough for most EDM/dance music.  It was for a military project that got cancelled, but it worked so well we decided to keep it :)

The TH118 vs DBH218.  These are "general" statements.
2xTH118s=1DBH218.  I think a DBH218 is a little less expensive than 2 TH118s.

However the Th118 goes a bit lower and is a little "smoother" sounding.  The DBH218 "hits harder"/punchier.

They are very different sizes, so often the choice of 1 vs the other is size and where you can put them.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »

I also think that 3 DBH218 might do structural damage to your building. This would be after everyone in the place has gone deaf.

I have 2 DBH's hanging in an outdoor arena and I have about twice as much bass than I need.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »

Ironman is your DJ?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »

I know your question is on subs, but are we sure the SH50's can get loud enough for your venue?

It depends on what kind of 'DJ' venue it is though right?

SH46 or the PG series might be better??

Just thinking aloud :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »

I also think that 3 DBH218 might do structural damage to your building. This would be after everyone in the place has gone deaf.

I have 2 DBH's hanging in an outdoor arena and I have about twice as much bass than I need.

To echo this: I have one DBH218 in a venue of similar size (42x100) and seating area closer to 40x70 - and with EDM through to live rock, the bass levels are punishing.

Ash Priba

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »

Thank you all for the valuable advice! To answer the most important question of all, yes Ironman is our DJ. Thor promises to make an appearance after he dishes out pain to the goddess of death.

Onwards to matters for us mere mortals.

---

From what I've been reading here, 3 x DBH218 is overkill. Jonathan is happy with one unit for a slightly larger room size and Tim's arena is only served by 2 units.

Therefore I propose to use 1 x DBH218 in the center flanked by 2 x TH118.

The logic being:

1. As the room is narrow and long, the 2 x TH118 can be adjusted to increase the forward directivity of the array, thus less side-impact and happier neighbors. And thus why we planned for 3 subs.

2. I get the smoothness of the TH118s on more sedate events (DBH218 on low gain or off altogether for low key music and events) and rachet up the DBH218 for more dynamic events (with the TH118s either providing backup, needed for forward directivity or off altogether if not needed).

Is my logic sound?

---

Also, we plan to spread 6 x THSPUD around the room, positioned below each sofa that are furthest from the DJ. Is this necessary or overkill? We are concerned the furthest sofa seating on the upper mezzanine (70ft away, 10ft up) will not get enough LF from the main array.

---

Yes, I have considered the SH46, but I have a pair of SH50 sitting unused and I figure the SH50 should be able to handle an 36ft x 80ft long room with only 250-300 capacity. Ivan correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for the many responses!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:55:17 AM by Ash Priba »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 24 queries.