ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help Identify This Connector  (Read 3567 times)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Please Help Identify This Connector
« on: August 24, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »

I have been searching for weeks for a specification that fits this connector and haven't been able to find it. It's driving me mad!

It's part of a cheap, Chinese made headworn boom subminiature electret mic, and I don't necessarily want to tip off the manufacturer as to what I'm doing. Of course, they want to sell me their cable assemblies, but that's not what I need.

I need to source raw connectors to mate with these, which will be part of a product that I'm developing. Crimp type is preferred.

The connector shown is female with threaded engagement. The minor diameter of the internal thread measures 0.125 inches or 3.175mm which puts it in the ballpark of an M3.5. It has no pin or socket, but rather has a button type butt contact.

I've determined that it's not a Microdot, nor is it any standard coaxial RF connector that I can find.

Please help!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Please Help Identify This Connector
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »

I can't tell in the photo, but is it possible this was a regular male pin that's been cut down and a dab of solder added? And the female side also with a dab of solder on the [female] pin?
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »

I can't tell in the photo, but is it possible this was a regular male pin that's been cut down and a dab of solder added? And the female side also with a dab of solder on the [female] pin?

The center contact appears to be a solid disc of phosphor bronze with a very slight dimple in its center.  The discoloration in the photo is light reflecting oddly off of its irregular surface.  I have four of these and they all look the same, but I don't have mating connectors to examine.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 03:05:03 PM »

I have been searching for weeks for a specification that fits this connector and haven't been able to find it. It's driving me mad!

It's part of a cheap, Chinese made headworn boom subminiature electret mic, and I don't necessarily want to tip off the manufacturer as to what I'm doing. Of course, they want to sell me their cable assemblies, but that's not what I need.

I need to source raw connectors to mate with these, which will be part of a product that I'm developing. Crimp type is preferred.

The connector shown is female with threaded engagement. The minor diameter of the internal thread measures 0.125 inches or 3.175mm which puts it in the ballpark of an M3.5. It has no pin or socket, but rather has a button type butt contact.

I've determined that it's not a Microdot, nor is it any standard coaxial RF connector that I can find.

Please help!

No one else has an idea about this? Please, fellow audiots, help a brother out!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:09:20 AM »

No one else has an idea about this? Please, fellow audiots, help a brother out!

Looks like an smc male.  You sure that's not an RF connector?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »

Looks like an smc male.  You sure that's not an RF connector?
The unthreaded portion of SMC has a 0.145 inch OD, making it too large.

SSMC has a 6-40 thread, which is in the ballpark, but its unthreaded portion appears too long to fit.

It could be an RF connector, but without pin & socket it's a poor design.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »

Please help!
There is a strong possibility that it's proprietary. 
Remember the Chinese manufacturers excel at copying so it could be mix of several connectors they had seen before so it looks "familiar" but it isn't anything specific. 
If you're developing your own product, find your nearest prototyping outfit and have them tool-up a custom mate to it.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »

There is a strong possibility that it's proprietary. 
Remember the Chinese manufacturers excel at copying so it could be mix of several connectors they had seen before so it looks "familiar" but it isn't anything specific. 
If you're developing your own product, find your nearest prototyping outfit and have them tool-up a custom mate to it.
Yeah, I fear it may indeed be proprietary. I have a small machine shop and turning my own on the lathe is easily doable, but this product needs readily available off the shelf components to be profitable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.