ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bases for truss and pipe in one?  (Read 7707 times)

(Brian) Frost

bases for truss and pipe in one?
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »

i really like aluminum 30" bases for truss.  I would love my inventory to be all the same bases.  are there aluminum bases that have threads for pipe and also work for global truss?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: bases for truss and pipe in one?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:45:01 PM »

i really like aluminum 30" bases for truss.  I would love my inventory to be all the same bases.  are there aluminum bases that have threads for pipe and also work for global truss?

Make your own?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »

Make your own?

how would  I safely attach the threaded piece?

Dave Barker

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »

Bolt one of these to the bottom of your base plate, screw in the pipe.  Shouldn't interfere with your trussing.  I prefer steel base plates when using pipe just use lots of sandbags.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-Galvanized-Malleable-Iron-Floor-Flange-511-607HN/100183709

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »

You wouldnt be worried that the torque of a 12ft pole could rip any smaller bolts out of that adapter?

Bolt one of these to the bottom of your base plate, screw in the pipe.  Shouldn't interfere with your trussing.  I prefer steel base plates when using pipe just use lots of sandbags.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-Galvanized-Malleable-Iron-Floor-Flange-511-607HN/100183709

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »

You wouldnt be worried that the torque of a 12ft pole could rip any smaller bolts out of that adapter?

12ft pole * 30lb force at top = 360lb/ft moment

your run of the mill 1/4" bolt has 1750lb loading and 2350lb tensile strength.

I doubt you'll have issues. I'd be more concerned the bolts on the bottom of the plate protruding. (just countersink them...)

http://www.almabolt.com/pages/catalog/bolts/proofloadtensile.htm
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »

As this hasn't been mentioned yet, drilling and tapping your base for pipe threads isn't a good idea - not enough thread surface, and the aluminum base plate isn't strong or thick enough to have enough holding force - you would rip the threads right out of the base.

If you're going to do it, a flange bolted to the plate is the way to go.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »

agree.  i was worried that the flange wouldnt have enough threads either.  i wonder if i got a plate that had a lip around the edge and put a hole through the plate and had the flange on the under side.

As this hasn't been mentioned yet, drilling and tapping your base for pipe threads isn't a good idea - not enough thread surface, and the aluminum base plate isn't strong or thick enough to have enough holding force - you would rip the threads right out of the base.

If you're going to do it, a flange bolted to the plate is the way to go.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

agree.  i was worried that the flange wouldnt have enough threads either.  i wonder if i got a plate that had a lip around the edge and put a hole through the plate and had the flange on the under side.

You haven't said what this is for.  What is the application?  The flange will be significantly stronger than the aluminum plate.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »

You haven't said what this is for.  What is the application?  The flange will be significantly stronger than the aluminum plate.

i want to be able to use the same bases for truss with projectors on top and poles with lighting on top.  if it seems safe,and i can do both from the same location,  Id like to have an offset pole threads so I can put a projector on a top plate and 2 lekos on a pole on one base.   

All of this would be very light weight.  50lbs for projector, 50 lbs for 2 lekos. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.