ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: bases for truss and pipe in one?  (Read 7708 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: bases for truss and pipe in one?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »

i want to be able to use the same bases for truss with projectors on top and poles with lighting on top.  if it seems safe,and i can do both from the same location,  Id like to have an offset pole threads so I can put a projector on a top plate and 2 lekos on a pole on one base.   

All of this would be very light weight.  50lbs for projector, 50 lbs for 2 lekos.

So both pole and truss on the base plate at same time?

I was imagining pipe'n'drape being used with the base as well as trussing (multi-use baseplate of sorts).

Why not just get a swivel coupler and clamp the pipe to the truss?
https://www.kpodj.com/2x-global-truss-swivel-clamp-n-p-105148/

Make sure to offset the weight difference & the pipe needs to be ~2" OD to work
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Fruits

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »

In another recent post here I mentioned tank traps, and linked to this company:
http://www.doughty-engineering.co.uk/shop/147/index.htm
Take a look at the 3 position tank trap. If you are using spigoted truss it's close to what you want.  Downside its only a 24 inch base.  Doughty US doesn't show this product, but you could always give them a call.  One plus for a tank trap is you don't have to worry about cross threading a pipe flange.  Quicker to set up too. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:46 AM »

Global Truss 30"x30" aluminum base plates use a flathead hex socket ("Allen") cap screw to hold the half couplers in place. They are M8 cap screws IIRC (6mm allen wrench).  Use that same size if you want to bolt a flange to the baseplate. If you want more thread depth for engagement, have a collar (threaded pipe connection) welded to 1/4"'steel plate and bolt the plate/collar assembly to base plate.  Off-set the location on the baseplate as desired to decrease the likelihood of tipping.

There are other fabrication options, if you want to get fancy about how it looks when the threaded collar is mounted to the baseplate. I can see a way to do it with just one extra bolthole in the baseplate, and no visible hardware exposed.

"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »

I've seen bases that were welded out of steel. They had an outer "square" and an "X" running through the middle. The truss could bolt through the X brace and in the middle was a pipe thread. I'm sure you could have these made by a shop pretty easily.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »

i like this plan and with a few added holes I could change positioning of the pipe depending on use. 

Global Truss 30"x30" aluminum base plates use a flathead hex socket ("Allen") cap screw to hold the half couplers in place. They are M8 cap screws IIRC (6mm allen wrench).  Use that same size if you want to bolt a flange to the baseplate. If you want more thread depth for engagement, have a collar (threaded pipe connection) welded to 1/4"'steel plate and bolt the plate/collar assembly to base plate.  Off-set the location on the baseplate as desired to decrease the likelihood of tipping.

There are other fabrication options, if you want to get fancy about how it looks when the threaded collar is mounted to the baseplate. I can see a way to do it with just one extra bolthole in the baseplate, and no visible hardware exposed.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »

i like this plan and with a few added holes I could change positioning of the pipe depending on use.

If you go with a one-bolt option, it probably needs to be an M12 or larger; getting a real engineer involved is a good idea.  The taller the pipe, the more you need it to be done correctly.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Fruits

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »

For those who haven't seen it, another fun truss option which offers many configuration possibilities:
http://www.modtruss.com/
The last few years they have shared a booth at LDI with Blizzard Lighting.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.