ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which subs?  (Read 1884 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Which subs?
« on: August 25, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »

Hi All,

I know there are some similar threads, but...

I'm bidding on providing sound for a small street fair, which I have been supplying the stage for several years.
The primary covered area is probably 40' x 50'.
My question is what I should do for subs?

I am using 2 DSR112 for tops and I have 2 PRX718xlf subs, but I think I will need more.
I would rather not buy more of the PRX, as it's an opportunity to move up a level, albeit slowly, as I can't afford to spend too much right now.
I'm thinking of adding an SRX828 to the two PRXs.  I can get a second SRX later to complete the 'package'.
Do you think the SRX and PRX will play together well?
I was also looking at the JTR Captivator 118.
I wish I could afford Danley.
Or if I can find two more PRXs to rent for the day.

Opinions?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Which subs?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »

If you want Danley but can't afford Danley I'd just go JTR Orbit Shifter and be done for the conceivable future. IMO
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »

My opinion:

4x TH-118 buy once, cry once

You won't need anything else for your level of gigs and you'll smile EVERY time you turn them on as I do
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »

I've used PRX 718 with SRX 818  and SRX828 with excellent results Dave. I really wasn't sure what would happen and the good folks here told me to just go for it and try so I did. I ran some outdoor show parking lots and it sounded great. I had the SRX's on one side and PRX's on the other to get them some separation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:02:27 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 07:25:40 PM »

Hi All,

I'm bidding on providing sound for a small street fair, which I have been supplying the stage for several years.

I am using 2 DSR112 for tops and I have 2 PRX718xlf subs, but I think I will need more.
I would rather not buy more of the PRX, as it's an opportunity to move up a level, albeit slowly, as I can't afford to spend too much right now.
I'm thinking of adding an SRX828 to the two PRXs.  I can get a second SRX later to complete the 'package'.

Opinions?

There is a small street fair up here in Sebastopol that uses a pair of SRX828 with SRX835. I have heard them many times with different type bands and I have never been impressed with the JBL system.
It looks like you are in the $2000 price range for powered subs.
I would suggest contacting Mike Pyle at audiopyle.com as he is right up the road in Santa Rosa. See what he suggests. You can actually demo subs with your DSR112 at his warehouse. Maybe something from RCF?
The other consideration with the Danley subs is amplification cost.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Samsung/JBL in the longterm. The heir to Samsung was just sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »

If you can find them and move them a pair of EAW LA400's put out a shocking amount of low end with 500 clean watts per cab.  I have 4, I have done a couple of gigs this summer where I only rolled 2 down the ramp and wasn't in happy with the low end.

They simply walk away from my 4 KW-181's
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:05:13 PM »

There is a small street fair up here in Sebastopol that uses a pair of SRX828 with SRX835. I have heard them many times with different type bands and I have never been impressed with the JBL system.
It looks like you are in the $2000 price range for powered subs.
I would suggest contacting Mike Pyle at audiopyle.com as he is right up the road in Santa Rosa. See what he suggests. You can actually demo subs with your DSR112 at his warehouse. Maybe something from RCF?
The other consideration with the Danley subs is amplification cost.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Samsung/JBL in the longterm. The heir to Samsung was just sentenced to 5 years in prison.

One pair of 828SP outdoors will not keep up with a pair of 835 and I wouldn't expect them to.  There are 2x18 subs that get louder or go lower, but they all cost significantly more (>2x) than you will pay for the 828SP if you call and ask for a deal.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Gentry

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 12:39:36 AM »

Hi All,

Opinions?

I would think for the money trying to grab 2 additional 718 xlf's would be most economical. If you want to take the opportunity to start fresh, go for it. I just upgraded a system with two 718's, ended up with 4 ETX18SP's and it's a noticeable improvement. But, they can still be outrun by 2 strong mains, and so can 2 828's. However, for a street fair I would think any 4 respectable 18's in the prosumer range will suffice. The DXS18's are a good option as well, also have a 200 per unit rebate right now.

Either that or pony up 6k or more for 2 subs you won't second guess.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:19:13 AM by Scott Gentry »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 12:39:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.