ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 10mW vs 30mW Sennheiser transmitters  (Read 4864 times)

Tom Simenauer

10mW vs 30mW Sennheiser transmitters
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »

Hi,
    my first post and i am new to wireless.

I run the sound for an event in central London with guest speakers with  Q&A and the audience is seated over 2 floors in an old church. Max 400 audience.

I am moving away from Line 6 gear as i now have a Allen and Heath digital mixer with wifi mixing.
I know that i could switch to RF1 as the new Line 6 gear is factory default set to RF2 and this might help with the drop outs i have been experiencing.

But with the amount of wifi in central London, i feel to move to channel 38 and buy Sennheiser kit.

A guy at Sennheiser told me that the G3 300 transmitters can switch between 10 and 30 mW.
Most people dont seem to know this as i have read many forums where this is not mentioned.
He said this will increase the signal by up to 15%.

I am on a budget, and the difference between 4 G3 300 systems vs 4 G3 100 systems is quite a bit.

The receiver units will go through an ASA-1 with paddle anntenas.

The range that the mics  roam is about 25 meters by 20 meters and the upstairs is about 4 to 6 meters above ground floor.
There are a few pillars on the ground floor, but most of the floor has good line of sight.

Would you recommend that 10mW transmitters will do, or go for 30mW?

The guest speakers are sometimes high profile and i really do want zero drop outs.

Thanks Tom.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: 10mW vs 30mW Sennheiser transmitters
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:34 AM »

I have done many shows with 10 mW transmitters of various brands and not had any problems.
Considering the area you have to cover and the antennas you are using, 10 mW should be good.
I have also done smaller conference rooms with 1 mW ULX-D systems. No problem.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tom Simenauer

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »

I have done many shows with 10 mW transmitters of various brands and not had any problems.
Considering the area you have to cover and the antennas you are using, 10 mW should be good.
I have also done smaller conference rooms with 1 mW ULX-D systems. No problem.
Thanks. Would you say in the space i have described to go for 2 omni or 2 directional anntena's? I was thinking of going for 2 omni's next to the FOH speakers, 7 to 8 feet high on stands.

I Like the look of RF venue's diversity fin.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:21:39 AM by tablatom »

hugovanmeijeren

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the EW100 also has 30mW output power. With the EW100 this cannot be changed to 10mW, while the EW300 gives the user control about the output power (10mW or 30mW).

If you do not need the ability for remote control of the units, I'd say go for the EW100 series. They will sound identical to the EW300 and are also very reliable.
Hugo van Meijeren

Tom Simenauer

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:25 AM »

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the EW100 also has 30mW output power. With the EW100 this cannot be changed to 10mW, while the EW300 gives the user control about the output power (10mW or 30mW).

If you do not need the ability for remote control of the units, I'd say go for the EW100 series. They will sound identical to the EW300 and are also very reliable.
Thanks, no i wasn't aware of that, that will probably decided it for me to get the EW100 series.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber