ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: "Green" vehicles... nice, but at what cost?  (Read 13566 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

Dennis Wiggins

Re: "Green" vehicles... nice, but at what cost?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »

Sounds like the standard resi electric service in the UK is rather small.

“The average household is supplied with single phase electricity and is fitted with a main fuse of 60-80 amps,” the National Grid said.

That is at 220V.  A small (3.5 KW) charger would still add a 16A load for at least 19 hours.  That's for 1 "average" vehicle.

A 300 mile limit before you need to "recharge" would (to me) be a nightmare at the charging stations.  Let's see. Figuring 8 stalls of "fast 11KW chargers" would require a 300A just for the chargers; that's some serious copper feeds to run.  Bring a thermos.

Oh, and somebody has to be generating all that power, on demand, in real time.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:49:54 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »

“The average household is supplied with single phase electricity and is fitted with a main fuse of 60-80 amps,” the National Grid said.

That is at 220V.  A small (3.5 KW) charger would still add a 16A load for at least 19 hours.  That's for 1 "average" vehicle.

A 300 mile limit before you need to "recharge" would (to me) be a nightmare at the charging stations.  Let's see. Figuring 8 stalls of "fast 11KW chargers" would require a 300A just for the chargers; that's some serious copper feeds to run.  Bring a thermos.

Oh, and somebody has to be generating all that power, on demand, in real time.

-Dennis

Or spring for a Tesla and the electricity is included in the purchase price. As long as you use a Tesla owned charging station you can get a full charge in an hour for free. Have lunch while you wait. It's a lifestyle.

Mac

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »

Like any technology-or tool-there are tradeoffs. Applied correctly they can work well.  In our facility we are purchasing 2 forklifts right now-one electric and one propane powered-which is better?  Well, in one area limited air movement causes problems with exhaust and the need to run one shift makes electric the best.  In the other area, the need to run around the clock and more than plenty of air movement make propane the right choice.

I can see electric vehicles working well in the city-and if engineered to charge between say 10 PM and 6 AM, taking advantage of a natural lull in demand on the grid.  Excessive idle time in traffic jams?  No problem-little energy used at idle.  OTOH, in rural areas with long distances, IC engines are a natural.  One size fits all is rarely the ideal solution.

Its really quite easy to design a system to shed loads-so chargers could be designed to go into "idle" mode when AC compressors kick in, or dryers and ranges are being used-something similar to load shedding designs on generators.
Steve Swaffer

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »

Or spring for a Tesla and the electricity is included in the purchase price. As long as you use a Tesla owned charging station you can get a full charge in an hour for free. Have lunch while you wait. It's a lifestyle.

Mac

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the model 3 doesn't get free juice.

David Buckley

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:51:30 PM »

The UK is, in reality, 240V.  With a 60A main fuse, that's is a load limit for the house of around 14.4KW.  So a 11KW charger doesn't leave a lot of headroom. 

Making a cup of tea, an incredibly important British pastime, will use a kettle (a "jug" in some territories) rated at 3KW.  Running the shower could be 6,7,8,11KW, depending on model.

A bigger problem that hasn't been mentioned there is that although the house may have  a fuse and supply link that can take 14.4KW, if everyone on the street uses 14.4KW then it's going to end in tears.  From some years ago, for planning purposes, the assumption is that the average house contributes a 3KW load...

(That latter feature is by no means unique to the UK!)

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:44 PM »

And where does the electricity come from?  Oil, gas and coal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 12:11:22 AM »

And where does the electricity come from?  Oil, gas and coal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may be the case but if it results in more efficient power production and less CO2 per mile than an internal combustion engine then it's still a net good (manufacturing needs to be taken into consideration as well).  It is also a move in the right direction so that as more renewable energy sources become available transit is ready to take advantage.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 04:45:26 AM »

Generating electricity in a central position means it can run at optimum efficiency, producing a lot less pollution than lots of little engines in cars, constantly accelerating and braking.

I don't see a problem with a 300 mile range.  I doubt many people drive that many miles a day.  At an average of 50 mph, that's six hours of driving.  No thanks!

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 04:45:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.