ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: C'mon Avid....  (Read 22507 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: C'mon Avid....
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »

I've taken an X32 over and SC48 in the past and would still today

Avid's always struck me as a music-editing suite poorly coerced into live use. Where speed counts and the channel count is low enough, I agree with the above statement.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »

Wow, I guess I don't get the hatred for the SC48 (and if it's not the number of faders, I don't HEAR why a hand full of people don't like AVID).

I absolutely despise the Midas Pro series.  You give me one and I'd sell it to buy an AVID or Yamaha.  Nope, don't need a reason, I think it's the paint color...

Did 2 shows recently, one where the BE had a Profile and hated it, another where the BE had a Midas and spent most of his sound check conversation with me hating on AVID.  Both said the consoles "sounded bad" "sounds like shit" etc.  I guess my gold plating wore off my ears a long time ago but when operating AVID mixers I don't fight the EQ or have to use plug ins to make it "sound like something."  I'd prefer my console not make its own sound; rather I want it to give me the control to make the mix I want to hear.

Perhaps there's something in the water in Norway and Canada...

Wow such hate for AVID!

I remember back in the analog era everyone having strong opinions on one brand vs another, seems we can't let that go!
Ford vs Chevy
Beta vs VHS
Mac vs PC
etc...

they are all tools to be used.  I quite enjoy the challenge of walking up to something different I have to dig into to learn and use.
And right now there isn't a console out there that I would groan over or actually hate using.
-and if it isn't the right console for the gig (too small or not correct features) It sure isn't the console's fault, just the person who deployed it!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »

For me, it's the workflow that's totally wrong with the SC48.

I'm not able to get it into my fingers, and I mix regularly on a lot of different consoles, but I can't get friends with a SC48.

Sound quality? Don't have a clue, never gotten around to actually listen to it.

For the record, I'm ok with Digico, Midas, Yamaha, A&H and SSL consoles. Mix on them all the time without issues.

Al Rettich

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »

I'll agree on the S3L... Useless!!
Yes it is. It's terrible, and when you finally thought nothing could beat it's uselessness, Avid released the S3L.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »

cl5 rules all!
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »

I didn't like the work flow on the SC48 either.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »

I enjoy working on the SC48 for musical theatre. Aside from that, give me Digico. Hell, give me an M32.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »

I enjoy working on the SC48 for musical theatre. Aside from that, give me Digico. Hell, give me an M32.

Avid is freakin great for musical theatre! Love the cue management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »

I don't understand the hate for Avid here.  Much like the PM5 you have a complete channel strip in front of you.  You don't get that with almost any other desk on the market, I can't understand why that is counter intuitive.

I complain about any console that has less than a full set of eq knobs, whatever anyone says, it's a pain.  Of course you can mouse about on the avid, but almost any function is available direct.  The new S6L is imho the most powerful console on the market studio or live. 

The multifunction knob bank was an idea I put up to them several years ago, literally supposed to be similar to vistasonics without the annoying, moving up the board every few channels and of course it allows for full plugin mapping.

I find the X32 just a modern version of the ls9 and not that much more powerful.  I agree a S4L is needed to bridge the gap and provide a mid market powerhouse that's affordable to the average touring market.  Soundwise, Avid desks sound like pro tools.  Almost every record made these days is to a greater or lessor extent a pro tools record and I don't think that sound quality is really an issue.  The tools are all there for any engineer with a degree of skill to achieve whatever they need.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

I absolutely despise the Midas Pro series.  You give me one and I'd sell it to buy an AVID or Yamaha.  Nope, don't need a reason, I think it's the paint color...

Hey let's slow down there partner...we will have no 'Hating' on my Midas Pro Series...in this thread.  I have to say that I don't love the SC-48, but once I remember to push the encoder and then turn it's not a bad board to work on.

Midas Pro hating will go in another thread and I will just ignore that thread.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.