ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Truly sad  (Read 9687 times)

David Allred

Re: Truly sad
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »

My wife used to work as a sales engineer for a large telecommunications company who built a lot of the infrastructure that the internet now uses.

They had a MASSIVE (think tens of thousands of employees) layoff, which she was a part of.

The CEO got a nice 4-5 millon dollar bonus because of the 4th quarter profits.   Yeah-when you don't have payroll to meet.

But then there were no salesmen or enginners for future work, so the company died quickly.

But hey-as long as the stock holders got a nice bonus (and then sold off), they were happy---------

Capitalists given capitalism a bad name.
The bonus formula was shy an operation.
The last calculation should have included... (/N sub L)  (N sub L = number of layoffs in the calculation period)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:24 PM »

... seven years later they were canning essential people quarterly, as knee-jerk reactions to appease nervous stockholders.

An all-too-common practice in Publicly Held Firms.  Appease Wall Street on a quarterly basis, even if it's detrimental in the long term.  Executive compensation is often linked to share price.

Dell is once again Privately Held, but its glory days appear to be in the past (as may be JBL/Harman's?).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 02:09:07 AM »

An all-too-common practice in Publicly Held Firms.  Appease Wall Street on a quarterly basis, even if it's detrimental in the long term.  Executive compensation is often linked to share price.

Dell is once again Privately Held, but its glory days appear to be in the past (as may be JBL/Harman's?).

Dave

Managing to a balance sheet outcome and not long term planning is now de regeuer.  Much like managing cash flow to cover debt instead of for long term profitability.  The new world business practices offend my sensibilities.  To me they don't create long term value in the company and are ultimately detrimental to the very investors they are attempting to appease.  At least to the investors in for the long term.  The profit takers should not be pandered to.   
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 08:04:49 AM »

https://www.thelayoff.com/harman-international-industries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 09:54:33 PM »

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »

This is truly sad.  A company that was so strong

No worries.  Future engineering for such proud brands as JBL, Crown, dbx, Soundcraft, etc. will now be in the hands of the people who brought you TVs that spy on you, spontaneously combustible cell phones and exploding washing machines!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »

No worries.  Future engineering for such proud brands as JBL, Crown, dbx, Soundcraft, etc. will now be in the hands of the people who brought you TVs that spy on you, spontaneously combustible cell phones and exploding washing machines!

Dave

Hey I have all three of those products, they actually sent a tech out to rebuild the washer.  What is scary is I am actually looking at the Note 8 even after all I went through with the Note 7's 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 08:07:15 PM »

Dave

So if I have a Gmail account I can mix that corporate job in Minneapolis from my Android phone? While sitting on a sunny beach drinking a cold beverage?

What happens when someone on stage sings a copyrighted song? Does Google automatically turn the mic off?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Marcus Baeumler

• Stuttgart Area, Germany
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 03:23:38 AM »

So if I have a Gmail account I can mix that corporate job in Minneapolis from my Android phone? While sitting on a sunny beach drinking a cold beverage?

What happens when someone on stage sings a copyrighted song? Does Google automatically turn the mic off?

No, Google will check how many Android cell phones are around you and charge to your phone bill according to the number of listeners.  8)
The difference between theory and real life is that in theory there is no difference.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 03:23:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.