ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 40 in 40 out mic processing/DSP  (Read 7128 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: 40 in 40 out mic processing/DSP
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 11:02:39 PM »

Q-Sys can do a completely redundant setup (including network) if you want to spend the money on the equipment.  It's pretty easy to do.  What's your signal format?

QSYS and BSS both can. 
BSS will even provide automatic loading of programming to new hardware if a failure occurs and you have to change out a piece of hardware.  It's a part of Contrio server.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 11:04:28 PM »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I was in the software doing some programming tonight so I popped open a new project and did a little mock-up.  40x40 with a standard console channel strip and AEC (300ms tail) can be done with plenty of processing left over on the mid-level core.  Can't do the AEC on the low end unit.  High end unit is good to go of course but you'll need more I/O frames since that one doesn't have analog I/O onboard.

If you want true no-blips redundancy then you really need two separate systems (same hardware requirements though).  A redundant system will have an audio blip if you loose an I/O module or a DSP core as it switches over.

Like Lee B. said, regardless of the system dante will cut your needs for analog IO and the requisite IO frames.  Might pay for itself.  At least on the output side it's not a bad idea unless they are wedded to a record system that is analog input only.  A couple of Reaper systems using DVS and slaved together with midi control would probably be pretty slick.

Steve Rynbrandt

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »

Thanks, Steve.  I want to digest that a bit before I reply.  Last time I checked Biamp had a lot of dealer requirements, that we are probably not prepared to meet, which is why I was leaning towards BSS.  Have they loosened up those restrictions at all?

We're not a dealer, so I'll leave that question open for someone who is.

I will discuss redundancy though. Biamp Tesira Server offers redundancy and auto-failover. Then again as Erik and Lee B. point out if you simply need to run the DSP appliances in parallel with zero interaction then automation may not be required. Knowing how you are interfacing to the encoders is a key component to the system design.

How far do you need to take the redundancy? Does the system need to be redundant from analog input to analog output? What is your tolerance for faults, and what is at stake during a failure?

Q-SYS can even provide you with redundant power supplies on the DSP appliance if you can wait until the new next-generation enterprise cores become available this fall. There used to be others, MediaMatrix frames and IED for sure, but I'm not sure anyone else is doing this now.

Side story - I recall a mission critical application where practically everything was N+2 except the building itself. Standby generators, networks, other support systems and yes some of the AV fell under this requirement. I'd been involved in many varying implementations of redundant AV systems but trying to attain a true N+2 was a first for me and an interesting experience. We pretty much got there but some elements of the plan relied on technician intervention with standby spares.

Steve Rynbrandt

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »

It's a part of Contrio server.

Lee,

Do you know if it is possible to run redundant Contrio Servers?

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 07:14:31 AM »

Lee,

Do you know if it is possible to run redundant Contrio Servers?

Yes it is, so I have been told.  I have not set up redundant servers.

Depending on what you are "cleaning up" and how the customer requires the recording you may be better of using something like a couple of JoeCo Blackbox recorders and a couple of stand-alone DSP systems providing the automated cleanup. 

If this is archival cleanup then it really can't be fully automated as you need to sample the noise, adjust the click and pop reduction, and possibly even redraw the waveform during the archiving process.  Magix Sequoia comes with some very powerful archival noise, click, and pop reduction software.  There are plugins available for most DAW's.  Some are significantly better than others.  Not all archival tools are created equal. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Lee Douglas

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »

What encoders are they hitting?
Can they just be directly digital?
Maybe Dante?

BSS and others who could do Dante natively could then utilize a minimum of equipment since your outputs could be DANTE rather than cards. 
Also, what sort of cleanup?  AEC processing cleanup?

Lee

At this point it would be hitting analog inputs on IP camera.  I'm looking into other options on the server for bringing it in there.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 12:51:06 AM »

Speaking of Dante- Tesira server has Dante, cobranet, and AVB cards so you could bring it in analog and do your processing and send it all out digitally. Not sure if that helps or not just an idea.

Also, I'm a Tesira dealer. It wasn't bad. You've got to pass a test in order to sell tesira and they'll want an annual commitment. I know this is vague but it was either $20k or $40k. I got the impression they're looking for a certain type of dealer and that seems to be almost as important as any of the numbers or training. I've been on since 2014 and it's been all good. I order equipment, it shows up, we install it. :-) You're welcome to hit me back channel if you have other dealer questions....
Ryan Davis

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »

I can't go into too much detail, but say you needed 40 channels of mic processing, 1 in to 1 out each with no mixing required nor desired, what would you use?  Looking for high/low pass, comp/limit, ALC, parametric EQ at a minimum.  I was thinking of stacking multiple BSS Blu series boxes, but have a feeling there a more eloquent way to do this.  I'll provide more specific details if asked and if I can.

Hi Lee,

If you're looking for a more simple one/two box solution, an Allen & Heath DME64 mix rack could pull this off.  It only needs an expander to hit the analog I/O count.  If you can use Dante, you could drop to the smaller rack (as it has the same internal DSP).

Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.