ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 40 in 40 out mic processing/DSP  (Read 7129 times)

Lee Douglas

40 in 40 out mic processing/DSP
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:04:53 PM »

I can't go into too much detail, but say you needed 40 channels of mic processing, 1 in to 1 out each with no mixing required nor desired, what would you use?  Looking for high/low pass, comp/limit, ALC, parametric EQ at a minimum.  I was thinking of stacking multiple BSS Blu series boxes, but have a feeling there a more eloquent way to do this.  I'll provide more specific details if asked and if I can.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Cailen Waddell

Re: 40 in 40 out mic processing/DSP
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »

Yamaha mrx 7d with Dante IO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Rynbrandt

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:56:35 PM »

Two Biamp Tesira SERVER-IO with AVB frames; one frame with 10 SIC-4 input cards (4 input channels each) and one frame with 10 SOC-4 outputs cards (four output channels each) would be a pretty elegant solution and would take 6 rack spaces. You'd also have some additional analog expansion capability, not to mention AVB signal routing options and even Dante if you added the card. The densest BSS BLU solution would be 5 RU, which would fill the available analog ports and expanding would require another device.

You would want to mock up your processing configs in the Biamp Tesira software to determine how many DSP cards you would need installed in the frames. This can be done offline without a hardware device.

We work with large Biamp and BSS DSP systems on a regular basis (and sell neither, we're primarily a design, programming, and commissioning company). In this application with the information provided  I think I'd prefer two Biamp frames to a stack of BSS. The Biamp would be faster to install due to less hardware, networking is simpler (connect the two AVB ports directly; with the LAN port as few as two short ethernet cables required once programmed, though you would need a switch during programming and afterwards if control is needed), and I believe that mic cable termination would be easier in a dense environment due to the layout of the Biamp cards (put blank rack spaces in between the BSS units and then this particular Biamp advantage goes away).

There are other considerations I would assess before making a final decision. I don't intend this to be a BSS vs Biamp thing, other systems exist, too, and the same considerations are there including:

A. Cost (my hunch is that the Tesira ends up a bit cheaper, wouldn't take long to figure that one out)

B. Networking - is this system standalone or does it live on a customer's network?

C. Is rack space at a premium or is there plenty?

D. How much room is there to work within/around the rack to make terminations?

E. Is there expansion in the future via? If so, is it anticipated that expansion will be analog, Dante, Cobranet, AVB, etc.? Biamp probably has an advantage here due to being able to add/swap cards with various protocols, while with BSS the protocols are determined by the particular BLU device.

F. Control - How do you anticipate interacting with this system? Are realtime adjustments required or is this system tuned and left to operate?

G. Security - This becomes more important if the system will reside on a customer's network. Biamp Tesira supports SSH while I believe we're still waiting for that feature in BSS so everything is in the clear.

Another possible solution is QSC Q-SYS Core. The new offerings at InfoComm this year were pretty exciting. We don't touch Q-SYS as much as we do London or Tesira, so I'm going to refrain from any making any design suggestions. I will say that our experience with the Q-SYS product has been very good and I like the direction QSC is heading with commercial off-the-shelf server processing (albeit restricted at the moment).

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:09:20 AM by Steve Rynbrandt »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:47 AM »

I can't go into too much detail, but say you needed 40 channels of mic processing,

Can't go into detail, or won't because its a silly request from a silly client? Hahaha
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:10:14 AM »

QSC Q-SYS core with some I/O expanders.  You could mock it up in the designer software to see if you can do it with the processing available on the smaller core or if you need to step up to the mid level one.

Lee Douglas

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »

Can't go into detail, or won't because its a silly request from a silly client? Hahaha

For once it's not a silly request!  We're are attempting to clean up individual signals before they hit encoders for archiving.  They are serious enough that they're requesting a completely redundant system along side this one.

Lee Douglas

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:16:28 PM »

Two Biamp Tesira SERVER-IO with AVB frames; one frame with 10 SIC-4 input cards (4 input channels each) and ...

Thanks, Steve.  I want to digest that a bit before I reply.  Last time I checked Biamp had a lot of dealer requirements, that we are probably not prepared to meet, which is why I was leaning towards BSS.  Have they loosened up those restrictions at all?

Lee Douglas

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:18:49 PM »

QSC Q-SYS core with some I/O expanders.  You could mock it up in the designer software to see if you can do it with the processing available on the smaller core or if you need to step up to the mid level one.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »

For once it's not a silly request!  We're are attempting to clean up individual signals before they hit encoders for archiving.  They are serious enough that they're requesting a completely redundant system along side this one.

What encoders are they hitting?
Can they just be directly digital?
Maybe Dante?

BSS and others who could do Dante natively could then utilize a minimum of equipment since your outputs could be DANTE rather than cards. 
Also, what sort of cleanup?  AEC processing cleanup?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »

Q-Sys can do a completely redundant setup (including network) if you want to spend the money on the equipment.  It's pretty easy to do.  What's your signal format?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 06:45:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.